Got a new job - but closer to home!

NFMC
NFMC Posts: 232
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
A bit of a mini dilemma - I've been offered a new job. I'm going to take it because it's a permanent position and a bit better pay and - obviously - new jobs don't come up that often.

But - here's my daft dilemma - my old job was in the centre of Manchester so a good six to seven mile commute. Enough to 'get my teeth into' and work up a bit of a sweat. Lots of different ways to go to make it varied. The new one is in Eccles, probably about 1.5 miles max from my house.

Now that's great as it means I can walk or bike and will never have to worry about taking the car. But, do I get changed into shorts and t-shirt for such a short commute or just do it in my suit? How am I going to persuade the Mrs that going for a ride the long way home is a good idea (other than her noticing my ever increasing tum)?

Anyone else have such a short commute and how do you manage?

Oh -and I know that this is such a tiny moan and that millions of people would be grateful to live pretty close to their place of work.

Comments

• essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    If it was me I would extend the route and cycle, if I couldn't I would just walk it. It will take you longer to change in/out of your cycling gear/ & lock the bike up than it will to walk.
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    My commute in is 2.5 miles, though half of it is uphill. It does take me longer to get changed than actually cycle in. I take a longer way home to make it "worth my while" while always having the option of the shorter route if I need to get home quickly.
    You could always buy yourself half an hour more cycling by doing it from day 1. After the first couple of weeks that will just be the new time you arrive home from work. If she says anything about having expected you back earlier, just vaguely mention something about new work culture, staying on till the boss leaves, chatting to people etc.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    NFMC wrote:
    How am I going to persuade the Mrs that going for a ride the long way home is a good idea (other than her noticing my ever increasing tum)?

Errr, grow a pair? :wink:
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • NFMC
    NFMC Posts: 232
    Stuey01 wrote:
    NFMC wrote:
    How am I going to persuade the Mrs that going for a ride the long way home is a good idea (other than her noticing my ever increasing tum)?

Errr, grow a pair? :wink:

So writes the single man!
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    Congrats

But yeah man up :D extend it at least one way to make it worth while :roll:

On another very very annoying note, I was meant to have an interview this afternoon, had spent the last few days preparing and researching about the company and job role, only to get a voicemail to say that they have decided to give the job to someone else so don't bother wasting your time coming in!!! :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

absolutely gutted, didn't even get the chance to prove myself! gggrrrr
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Hope you've got a good bike lock for Eccles!

Was working just up the road and had to go to Eccles to post a letter. Whilst queuing the ladies (using the term loosely) were matter of factly discussing one of their husbands impending trial. Quote from the aforementioned pair, "We tried pleading Manslaughter but they wouldn't accept it and are going for Murder"

Nice place.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    gert_lush wrote:
    Congrats

But yeah man up :D extend it at least one way to make it worth while :roll:

On another very very annoying note, I was meant to have an interview this afternoon, had spent the last few days preparing and researching about the company and job role, only to get a voicemail to say that they have decided to give the job to someone else so don't bother wasting your time coming in!!! :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

absolutely gutted, didn't even get the chance to prove myself! gggrrrr
    :x :x :x
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Same boat with a new job.

Gone from a nice 15 mile each way to 7. Will have to extend the homeward route to compensate.

Other slight annoying thing is I have to take a laptop home each night.
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    Congratulations on the new job!

Time to start looking for a new place to live that's further away now though, I would say.
    us0.png
  • londonbairn
    londonbairn Posts: 316
    I love it, in any other forum away from cycling, it would be entitled

"Got a new job, and it's closer to home! Woohoo!"

:lol:
  • soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987

what time you arrive home after work from your old job?

tell the OH that you will be home by the same time as before, since that is always be your "own" time anyway and never effected her before so why now.

P.S. congratulations on the new job. :)
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098

Bonkers innit? :lol:

Obvious question is why apply for a job that might cause this angst? <applies for job in Rhyll... only 50 quid a week but it's 200 miles away. result!!>
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Extend it FFS. My commute can be as short as 1 mile, or was when I started riding 4 years ago, it is now 7+ miles which is really the max I can do without going too far out of the way and within the 30 mins between leaving home and the kettle boiling in work.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300

Heheh, yeah. I was pleased when I changed jobs last year, as it is 5 miles from home, rather than 2. Now, I know that I could artificially extend it in the morning, but I've found that reality and a warm bed conspire against my good intentions; and if I only have to cycle 2 miles/10 minutes to get to work, I'll leave late and do that. =)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)