Tubeless tyres

Ronocco111
Ronocco111 Posts: 70
edited April 2010 in MTB beginners
How exactly do these work without an inner tube? Also, what happens if you get a puncture, do you have to buy completely new tyres? Lastly, most tyres I have seen are around £20.00, is that per tyre or for a set?
92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.

Comments

• stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    They work without a tube by adding tyre sealant to the tyre (kinda like run flat mousse that some cars use) which seals the hole when air escapes. There are a few different methods of going tubeless, preferred being tubeless rims/UST or tubeless ready tyre, you will also need a tubeless rimstrip and valve. Some non tubeless rims can be converted using various kits that are available. then there is 'ghetto tubeless' which is a cheap way of converting your rims (making them air tight), this has various results (search the forum). In theory punctures are sealed by the tyre sealant, but depends on the size of the hole, Should it not seal then the hole can be 'plugged' externally using a tubeless repair kit (rec..panaracer repair kit).
    Most tyres in tubeless set up need to be inflated using a track pump to get the air in as quick as possible, a regular mini pump is pretty useless when trying to inflate a tubeless set up. Tyre costs range from around £23 ish each (Specialized 2bliss tubeless ready), but most are £30+ each for proper UST ones. You can use some normal tyres in tubeless set up but again, this is with varying results.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Yup pretty much as above. Have search on the forum there are LOADS of threads of people using all kinds of different combinations. giving different results.

From my personal experience. I have a tubeless wheel set (shimano XT) and tubeless tyres (Specialized and Maxxis) and had no problems what so ever, was easy as pie to set up. I have also used a conversion kit on standard wheels with tubeless tyres and they worked fine. Slight more work but each step was easy and I had no problems.
  • Thanks for your help
    92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.