Mountain Biking in Australia?

umchpetrol
umchpetrol Posts: 32
edited April 2010 in MTB general
Hi Guys,

Been a member on here for years and years but just lurked.
Currently living in West Australia in the middle of nowhere, place called Karratha. Looking to be there for about 12 months and want to do some biking. Im planning on buying a bike in the UK and having it shipped here because the exchange rates are terrible at the moment.
Does anyone have any advice for me on where to mountain bike in Australia? I get a good holiday cycle so would like to use at least one of them to do go riding. Cheers :)

Comments

• cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    edited April 2010
    Welcome!

Dont know if you mean ANYWHERE in Australia, or just WA. But there is some pretty awesome biking to be had in the Blue Mountains near Sydney.

Sorry if this is not what you're looking for, and I've absolutely no idea what other places there are.

Also, if you are able to travel a little further afield, The MTB in NZ is supposed to be simply EPIC!

I guess the best advice would be to just pick somewhere mountainous, then do a google search or something for MTB clubs in that area. Then contact one of them for trail advice.

Edit:

Just been looking on Google: here are a few to get you started:
  • Thanks for the reply :) Yep I meant anywhere, sorry should have clarified. Mainly because the place Im in is so barren I would have to go further afield for decent trails. Will check out the Blue Hills. Would love to go to NZ soon, hopefully towards the end of the year.
  • northstar
    northstar Posts: 407
    edited April 2010
    aA
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • antikythera
    antikythera Posts: 326
    Friends on my just finished trekking between Busselton and Albany, with a few detours to Margaret River and the like. They had a blast.

Admittedly, they were using Thorns, but said they could easily have done it on their mountain bikes and taken some of the more rugged paths.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Watch out for Drop Bears!