Cars for carrying bikes in

Comments

• marge602
    marge602 Posts: 22
    Subaru Legacy estate. Big enough to get a tandem in and handles like a sportscar! Nuff said.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    ive also got a delica L300, they are handy weekend away wagons 8)

I'd like a Delica. With a poptop camper conversion, oh yes. that's be awesome. Watching the things go offroad is just hilarious, it looks like any second now it'll snap in half or tip over but they just keep on going
    Uncompromising extremist
  • spodomodo
    spodomodo Posts: 48
    It has to be a van - mines got 6 seats can get all the kids in and tonnes of gear - bikes inside, kayaks and surf boards on top- every man needs a van - it's the future.

S
  • I use a Defender 90 which is bigger inside than a Disco. I can fit one bike in with the front wheel off. Or, with both front and rear wheels off, 3 bikes will fit. It is a bit of a faff, but very secure. The forks are clamped to the floor with, well, fork clamps and I made some wooden supports for the rear stays.

I've also got a spare wheel carrier, which I never use now. It always seemed a bit flimsy and I'm not keen on the idea of 70mph+ stone chips hitting my bike. If you have the resources to get a vehicle that will transport bikes inside, get it.

In all honesty, a Land Rover is not the best for transporting bikes. It is a 4wd designed for off road driving. A van would be much easier to load/unload bikes and be cheaper to buy and run.
  • Penylope
    Penylope Posts: 320
    MK1 mondeo here, diesel. only does 45mpg, and high tax (cos its old).
    BUT, 2 bikes (with all wheels in), 2 blokes and all day gear in no probs, with 200,000miles near as dammit, with next to no work needed so far. the main problem now is the ol' tin rot getting to the bodywork, MOT fail :(

Been looking for a replacement, prob a MK3 mondy, TDCi (maybe even an ST 8) ), low(ish) tax bracket, 50+ mpg, large boot and nice and comfy on a long haul, not too slugish either if you get 130 or 155.
    MTB's, SC Blur LTc & Cotic Soul (26" definitely aint dead!).
    Other, Genesis Croix De Fer
  • lochussie
    lochussie Posts: 276
    Doesn't really fit your wants, but I can get 3 people, bikes and gear in my Golf. But then I'm not too bothered about keeping it spick and span.
  • Agoogy
    Agoogy Posts: 66
    Fiat Mutipla!
    Possibly challenging to the eye :wink: but extremely versatile. I don't have a problem with making your vehicle personal...I'd have a blackn one with tinted windows, lowered a smidge on 17"s... 1.9 TD ELX.
    Or the VW Trransporter
    ....don't mind them either. I actually prefer the examples where the owner has modified the look. In most cases they look great. Wheels don't have to be too big, but a nice paint job and a lowered stance do wonders for it IMO.
    Lapierre 714 - nicked from Centre Parcs
    2009 Stuntjumper HT Expert Carbon
  • I've got a Mondeo Estate and I can get three bikes and three people in. Two rear seats folded forwards. Front wheels off the bikes, tarpaulins separating them. It all depends how precious you are about your car and bikes.

I wouldn't touch a Disco with a long sh*tty. Most unreliable cars on the planet. imo.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,620
    Find an older Ford Galaxy seriously, you can put the seats up and carry alot of people, then they go totally flat and it becomes a huge van in basics with only car bridge toll costs :p
    +1.

My S-Max is cavernous and can easily fit 2 bikes in with the seats down: the Galaxy is even bigger (higher I think) and earlier models can be picked up for peanuts.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • RockingDad
    RockingDad Posts: 239
    Have you thought about an alternative to a car? What about a trailer? No tax/mot/insurance and you'll pick one up for a lot less and have far less running costs if you buy a trailer (box, flatbed, or modified standard to hold bikes. A box trailer will of course be more secure but i'm planning on building one of these (although i'll have to build from scratch as there is somewhat of a shortage of US Military M416 trailers knocking around in the uk:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_YINewMQBuqI/S ... eafter.jpg

I have camping equipment as well so the top will hold the bikes and be hinged to provide a waterproof cover for the trailer load space.

Just as idea :)

RD
    2010 Carrera Fury
    1992 Raleigh Equipe
  • RockingDad:

http://www.mod-sales.com/tender/listing.htm

Plenty of Sankey trailers, short notice though.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • RockingDad
    RockingDad Posts: 239
    Ha... and just down the road from me which makes a nice change... cheers for that, i'll have to keep an eye on these to get a good price.

Cheers

RD
    2010 Carrera Fury
    1992 Raleigh Equipe
  • capoz77
    capoz77 Posts: 503
    VW Passat estate, 1.9 TDI 130 bhp version. 1999-2005 (2005 > new model isn't as good)

Loads of torque, get up to speed very quickly considering they can return 50-60mpg on long trips. On average I get 600 miles per tank if I throw in commuting traffic. On a long road trip 700 miles.

Very comfortable interior, leather heated seats, air con climatronic, blue dash with red dials, rear parking sensor, masses of leg room for rear passengers, and with rear seats down a full bike fits in without taking any wheels off!

Can be had for as little as £2500

LA05GVK.jpg
  • I have a Old Style picasso and use a thule in car rack, take a seat out, the rack locks to where it was, then you lock the forks in to the rack.

More recently I have just been taking the wheel off and throwing it in the back of the car with a seat folded, works great.

I was also impressed with my friends Nemo (car version), it's smaller but fitted our two MTB's in very easily.
    Look 675 Light Di2
    Boardman Pro C winter hack
    Cannondale Prophet
    Decathlon Hub geared City bike
  • ralph1471
    ralph1471 Posts: 92
    i can see everyone and his dad have replied to this but if the second vehicle is just for bikes why would you get anything other than a van? im not surprised thew very first comment was "a van" because it makes so much sense. you can throw your bikes in without folding any seats or worring about mud everywhere and if you get the right van no one can see them if you have to leave them in there for any reason. get one!
  • capoz77
    capoz77 Posts: 503
    ralph1471 wrote:
    i can see everyone and his dad have replied to this but if the second vehicle is just for bikes why would you get anything other than a van? im not surprised thew very first comment was "a van" because it makes so much sense. you can throw your bikes in without folding any seats or worring about mud everywhere and if you get the right van no one can see them if you have to leave them in there for any reason. get one!

UK2004 wrote:
    I am currently considering purchasing a second car for carrying the bikes in, ideally somethign that fairly securely they can go in with wheels still on, two bikes max really. Am thinking along the lines of a land rover discovery, has anyone experienc of putting bikes into these? Are they easy to just slide a couple of bikes in without them falling and clattering around, any recommendations of other cars much appreciated.

I think the OP mentions the word CAR quite a few times. He wants a car :D

Also look at the thread title for another clue!
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    ralph1471 wrote:

uhm Because Vans are more to tax, more to insure and generally not as good on fuel.. there you go (also bridge toll is double)
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    ralph1471 wrote:

uhm Because Vans are more to tax, more to insure and generally not as good on fuel.. there you go (also bridge toll is double)

They are also less safe, handle poorly, are much noisier and generally more agricultural if compared to a diesel car. They are also harder to park and can't fit many people (safely) inside.

Vans are often useful but as an alternative to a car, they are often less versatile. A good estate car does everything - goes well, handles well, is good on fuel, can be fun to drive and nice and comfy too.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Or a people mover because they can pretty much be turned into a Van with some spare seats for lots of people and gear. :p
  • Surf-Matt
    Or a people mover because they can pretty much be turned into a Van with some spare seats for lots of people and gear. :p

They are very handy but I have sworn never to get one! They seem to often be driven by angry dads who wanted a good estate car but got vetoed by the wife... :wink:

Ordered an estate car in SW Ireland earlier this year and got a Zafira - pretty naff but extremely practical and versatile. Plus the roads are so bad that the bouncy suspension was a bit of a bonus - my car would have got flung off the road I reckon!
  • I've got an old Discovery, one of the last shape Vectra Estates, and a couple of trailers.

The Disco is great - but not for bikes - the load area is too short and its a pain to remove the dog guard and then fold the back seats down etc. (But I like greenlaning etc so as a second vehicle and a hobby I wouldn't swap it for the world!)

The Vectra is the 150bhp diesel estate. Not the most inspiring vehicle on the road but the loadspace is beyong belief. It is massive. Adult bikes go in the back with wheels still attached. Plus it goes quite well and gives 50mpg.

I am thinking of getting some roof mounted carriers for it though - relegating the kids and dogs to walking in order to take the bike anywhere is starting to annoy the missus :lol:

I've also got a trailer that I have yet to experiment with putting the bikes in. as its been said elsewhere though, be careful with a lot of the modern estates - some have extremely small boots!
    GT I-Drive 5 XCR '09
    Trek 6500 '01
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    we were in the same situation 2 years ago..

had a good look round and ended up getting a pug partner escapade combi van.
    or look at a citreon berlingo pretty much identical..

got this as a second vehical just for the transporting the bikes.. 2ltr hdi does 52mpg only £145 a year tax and will take 2 bikes full. or 3 bikes with front wheels removed..
    even get both the big travel bikes in complete, ie 180mm freeride bikes...

and you can pick them up cheap...
  • Iwingstein
    Iwingstein Posts: 111
    Renault Grand Espace for me. Downside is seats don't fold into floor, you remove and move around - not really a prob. Not overly economical best ever 52 on a run but av more like 38 (33 short runs). Now been around for 7 years so should be able to get one for reasonable price .

Bike fits in upright or I have my homemade towbar cycle carrier if more than one needs carrying - thoughin a couple of weeks, we'll be able to put them int the caravan 8)
  • ralph1471
    ralph1471 Posts: 92
    edited April 2010
    i guess they are more expensive, i say this about vans though because i have a vauxhall zafira and i dont see it as being particularly great for putting my bike into. i cant be doing with removing gubbins, folding seats and putting covers down to stop mud getting everywhere every time i take the bike out (although hopefully this will start to become less of a problem now its getting warmer) whereas my friends who have vans just lift their bikes in.

maybe i just prefer ease to cost because i havent actually had to pay for a van.
    I think the OP mentions the word CAR quite a few times. He wants a car :D

Also look at the thread title for another clue!

"I am currently considering purchasing a second car for carrying the bikes in"

the way the question was worded made me think the second car is mainly for bikes,
    which is why i wondered why you would choose a car over a van in the first place, especially if you can afford to buy another car just for your bike.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    24254_387254072009_574677009_3720805_2133985_n.jpg

get the 1.9 diesel if you want good mileage

been all over europe in my old one (156 SW, 2.4D), this one uses a buttload more fuel but boy is it fun :D

cheap 2nd hand in the UK aswell
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • stomith
    stomith Posts: 332
    I think the Mercedes Benz V-Class kind of pushes the buttons as it is a car & people carrier & van sized thing.

Well, it should hit the buttons....except it has a few flaws. Big flaws.

If you are a competent mechanic, electronic engineer, parts sourcer, electrician and constant tinkerer...you'll love it.
  • Surf-Matt
    But Alfas are GM cars in drag and break down ALL THE TIME.

I'd get roof bars on something with a big boot - then you have loads of options, many are cheap.

If you want loads of fun and sensible mpg, get a 335d Touring :wink:
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    But Alfas are GM cars in drag and break down ALL THE TIME.

no they're not ... they're Fiats in drag I'll have you know (oh, that's not better is it) and they don't break down *all the time* just for a part of it, the rest of the time it's pure crazy italian driving pleasure, especially in 3.2 4wd guise ... although I have been eyeing up the supercharger upgrade that autodelta are offering ... but it's 6 grand and I'd probably have to have the fuel tank extended into the boot just to make it into work in the morning

no way I'd buy a BMW here, Clarkson may have declared them safe to drive in the UK but in Mainland Europe they're still exclusively driven by c0cks
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Surf-Matt
    They are almost all FWD. The AWD 3.2 weighs more than the moon and is comically slow for it's power. Any with any power understeer so badly it's dangerous (yes I've tested a 147 and 156 GTA) and they always break down.

All show, not much go.

If I hadn't liked them so much in the 70s/80s and early 90s, I'd not be so angry with them but like Saab, they've been making naff cars with borrowed engines for over a decade and dressing them up as some sporty drivers dream. Even the 8C, pretty as it is, gets a good shoeing from it's rivals.

If you live by the word of Clarkson then you need help. But if you can't help it, he has declared Audi as the new cockmobile. And it was only the E46 (last shape) M3 that got the "cock" title anyway.

I'd rather have a Fiat than a modern Alfa. Or a Kia.