Bike Security

Kristoff
Kristoff Posts: 6
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi,

As a 3rd year student, I'm aiming to gather some information on bike security to form part of a report.

Please help out a student in need!

Find the survey below,

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SZVXDDL

Thankyou :D

Comments

• northstar
    northstar Posts: 407
    With all due respect, will this survey be of any benefit?
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    Of course not, it's for school. It takes 1 minute to fill in, give the lad a break.
  • Mickey Eye wrote:
    Of course not, it's for school. It takes 1 minute to fill in, give the lad a break.
    +1

Filled in
  • northstar
    I thought I was quite polite but hey ho.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • sharm1969ca
    sharm1969ca Posts: 136
    Done!
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    northstar wrote:
    I thought I was quite polite but hey ho.
    Sorry, I saw the words "with all due respect" which for some reason cause me to bristle slightly.
  • northstar
    No probs, I don't like the phrase either but I find it works when you don't know someone and would like to show politeness.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    northstar wrote:
    No probs, I don't like the phrase either but I find it works when you don't know someone and would like to show politeness.

He he he - I always think the expression "with all due respect" means what comes next is an insult :wink:

My boss (ex-Army Warrant Officer) always, ALWAYS used the expression when insulting officers "With all due respect Sir, you are a complete idiot"

However, in answer to your question: Yes it will be of benefit. It will allow a 3rd year student complete his assignment :)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • northstar
    Just as well I filled it out when I asked the question then ;)

I think you might be a bit sensitive if you think that was an insult or just bored maybe ;)
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    Mickey Eye wrote:

Gotta salute your attitude MickeyEye. There has been way too much smugness and sarcasm on these forums lately. I'm sure that Northstar didn't mean anything by it, especially having read the ongoing comments. But people have recently asked some perfectly normal questions on here and been gunned down by comments made by idiots.

But going back to the survey. If it's of any interest to the OP, I think that the problem faced by many of us is not simply the theft of the bike, but all the bits and pieces attached to it. A locking pannier, now that would be a welcome invention. If a little heavy.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Done.
  • AndyOgy wrote:
    But going back to the survey. If it's of any interest to the OP, I think that the problem faced by many of us is not simply the theft of the bike, but all the bits and pieces attached to it. A locking pannier, now that would be a welcome invention. If a little heavy.
    I think that this is a more original, interesting and fruitful approach to take to the issue. Particularly those items which it is a pain to remove regularly (such as lights or cycle computers).

If someone is determined to steal an item they will almost whatever precautions you take, so I think you only need to design to deter the casual/opportunist thief (anything more will not be cost- or weight-effective). So, on the pannier idea, perhaps suffiicient wire mesh loops around the pannier to be able to run an extension cable through them and keep the pannier shut. I wonder how that would work with roll tops?

What about non-security deterrants (e.g. those stickers that make a bike look rusty - could I really do that to my pride and joy)?

Oh, yes, I'm off to fill in the survey ....
  • Filled in.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    Filled in - what the survey doesn't take into account is that alot of us have different bikes for different situations.

I.e I'd never under any circumstances be prepared to lock my Madone up outside, in fact the thought of having a D-lock go anywhere near the frame fills me with dread.
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.