Something happened to me today!

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
There I am riding along Kennigton road putting distance beteen me and this guy on a yellow trek.

I'm going a fair bit and In start to think to myself
"my legs are going a fair bit"

I look around and I'm taking everything in, the word seems to be going at a normal pace and my breathing has hardly increased.

This was a weird sensation. I look down 23mph and I've not even beguntonuse fast twitch muscles. My entire commute is like this culminating on Balham road where I hit 32.5mph without getting out of my seat.

I've reached a new level.

Do you ever have moments of revelations on the bike where you achieve a new level of physically?N
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I've reached a new level.

Either that or the wind was blowing from behind you...

I outpaced a scooter off the lights tonight, but I think the 25mph wind behind me assisted somewhat.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Yes, its usually after I've had an easy week and usually just before I slump back down to my semi knackered norm and start getting overtaken by mountain bikes.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    It was just a show of strength by the boys brigade. 8)

Maybe you were cycling underground....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I had one of those moments on Balham High Road tonight when I scalped you - spotted you stuck to the right of a load of fairground trucks as I stealthily undertook, I think you may have caught me at Balham tube lights but I blasted off at warp speed (after a little old lady had finished crossing) and left all competition for dead...

(and I was on the iron horse as well!)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,365
    Tailwind
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    MatHammond wrote:
    I had one of those moments on Balham High Road tonight when I scalped you - spotted you stuck to the right of a load of fairground trucks as I stealthily undertook, I think you may have caught me at Balham tube lights but I blasted off at warp speed (after a little old lady had finished crossing) and left all competition for dead...

:lol::lol:
  • DonDaddyD
    MatHammond wrote:

:shock:
    waynesworld.jpg]

That was you. Chapeau. You are one swift motha-fuka! That was a serious piece of cycling. Chapeau.

I was dithering around the back of the van unsure how to pass the monstrosity. As soon as I saw you in my periphery you were gone up the left and part of me shuddered for your safety, wish I had your gonads. I soon followed as I realised the van couldn't move.

At the Balham tube lights, yep. You were off. I was stuck in the peleton and dropped them. 32.5mph saw me catch up to you after the mid-way lights/petrol station by the Argos but I was never gonna make it stick

This means war. You do realise that now?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Tailwind
    +1
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • bigmat
    To be fair, I don't think an overtake in traffic like that really counts as a scalp, although O expected more of a fight from the lights! Definitely a tailwind tonight, felt far too easy.
  • Traffic means official SCR rain stops play. Overtake while filtering = no scalp.

Haven't seen many players on the drag strip recently. Need to experiment with my commute times to mix it with the proper players.
    "Come at the king, you best not miss." - Omar, The Wire

FCN 4: Willier Izoard XP
    FCN 7: GT Legato 4.0

*GAME* competitor
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Do you ever have moments of revelations on the bike where you achieve a new level of physically?
    Yeah, yeah, all the time. I tend not to post up about though as I don't like to look like too much of a showoff. :wink:
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Tailwind. Whenever I'm going surprisingly fast it's a tailwind.
  • On a similar note, I've just started playing about with Sports Tracker on my Nokia phone. Last night I managed to get my rusty old wreck (the bike, not my body) up to 22.3 mph on a flat stretch so, this morning, I was feeling good and thought I'd try and get 24mph. Turns out I hit 26.9mph.

I tell you, the pedalling felt easy but the shuddering of my knackered bike as I hurtled towards the staggered fence at the end of the cycle path was terrifying. I think I need new brake pads now.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    On a similar note, I've just started playing about with Sports Tracker on my Nokia phone. Last night I managed to get my rusty old wreck (the bike, not my body) up to 22.3 mph on a flat stretch so, this morning, I was feeling good and thought I'd try and get 24mph. Turns out I hit 26.9mph.

I tell you, the pedalling felt easy but the shuddering of my knackered bike as I hurtled towards the staggered fence at the end of the cycle path was terrifying. I think I need new brake pads now.
    Is that all? :lol: Nice speed, sir.

Most of the time unexplained 'float' days are in reality due to tailwinds.

Sometimes, though, and especially in the early days in a sport, ramps in performance do occur after a bit of rest. The body recovers and then overcompensates. I remember the sets of interval training at my first cycling club: vomitous and wrecked me for a few days but after some rest the jump in performance was noticeable.

Last night was mainly a tailwind for those going S-SW, though
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • il_principe
    JonGinge wrote:

Last night was mainly a tailwind for those going S-SW, though

Wasn't it just. I didn't have the Garmin but parts felt pretty damn fast.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Next time you feel that good, try turning round and going in the opposite direction.

If you can make it stick, you are awsome :twisted:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • DonDaddyD
    I hate you all for telling me it was a tailwind, I thought I had achieved something.

Matt, I will destroy you!

darth-vader.jpg
    Food Chain number = 4

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,416
    daviesee wrote:
    Next time you feel that good, try turning round and going in the opposite direction.

If you can make it stick, you are awsome :twisted:

Headwinds are just nature's way of sorting out the truly awesome from the merely apparently awesome.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    MatHammond wrote:
    To be fair, I don't think an overtake in traffic like that really counts as a scalp, although O expected more of a fight from the lights! Definitely a tailwind tonight, felt far too easy.

Yes, well I couldn't balls out sprint because:

1) The bottom bracket is jumping around the shell[
    2) The borrowed wheel isn't in the best nick and its hub is slipping.

So all in all the fact that I sat down as I couldn't safely stand and still got 32.5mph out of the bike is saying something.

But just in case I see you again I've bought the nuclear option, I rode the Kharma to worktoday.
    Food Chain number = 4

• il_principe
    Yeah, bloke on a Condor came past me today, I'd been aware of him on my 6, he came past, hit the wind and slowed, I took a tow for a bit then nailed him on the run-up to 9 Elms (which hurt).

It's funny when drafters fail like that.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    If it was yesterday evening then it was definitely a tailwind heading south from Kennington.

But boy, it felt good and top marks for taking full advantage of it.

Strong North-Easterly headwind this morning was hard work but hopefully it will hold and will make this evenings commute home as much fun as yesterday's was.

I got scalped but with good grace.

Was riding the same route as DDD and got to Balham to be overtaken at the lights by a black guy with an afro hat, jeans tucked into green checked socks and riding what looked like a 50 quid catalogue bike.

He was obviously up for a race so I gave chase as we pulled away from the Balham lights. Boy, the bloke was fast. speedo on the blink at the mo so no idea what speed but i really had to push hard to get past him. Managed it but then we pulled up at the next junction, large set of lights before Tooting.

He pulled away again and I couldnt keep up and he was off challenging another commuter who was also fast and i had been chatting to earlier on.

He beat him too and then pulled up at the lights at Tooting tube station.

I pulled up a few seconds later and he turned round and gave me a great big smile. I gave him a laughing 'nice one mate'.

Sometimes you just gotta accept that someones faster than you.
    FCN = 4
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,416
    Apparently the weather (and wind) are going to hold until Sunday, so a whole week of morning grinds and sailing home.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bigmat
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    MatHammond wrote:

Yes, well I couldn't balls out sprint because:

1) The bottom bracket is jumping around the shell[
    2) The borrowed wheel isn't in the best nick and its hub is slipping.

So all in all the fact that I sat down as I couldn't safely stand and still got 32.5mph out of the bike is saying something.

But just in case I see you again I've bought the nuclear option, I rode the Kharma to worktoday.

Pleased to see I'm inspiring you to greater efforts!
  • Kieran_Burns
    So did no one get my joke or was it just crap? :oops:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • dvdfoz
    dvdfoz Posts: 62

Clearly folks round here are too young, or just denying their age :roll:
    Dalston --> Canary Wharf, and all pubs inbetween
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563

I didn't realise it was a joke, just thought it was an odd post!
  • Kieran_Burns

I put some real effort into that one. :?

I dunno... some people :?

:P
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • andyb78
    andyb78 Posts: 156

I got it, and chuckled, but then again I think they're a top band, and Down at the Tubestation at Midnight was the first tune I "perfected" (used loosely) on the bass... :lol:
    Road bike FCN 6

Hardtail Commuter FCN 11 (Apparently, but that may be due to the new beard...)
  • So did no one get my joke or was it just crap? :oops:

Didn't get it. Mainly because the real line is, "Something's happening here today", isn't it?
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159

I put some real effort into that one. :?

I dunno... some people :?

:P

I got it - it was crap - I tactfully refrained from comment but since you chose to drag it kicking and screaming................... :wink: