Suggestions for mountain bike activities working with kids

JayKingFunk
JayKingFunk Posts: 411
edited April 2010 in MTB general
Hi,

I work at a school and I've recently started working during the half terms etc.

I take groups of kids aged between 9 and 11 out on the bikes in groups of 12.

Places I take them are:

A very small wood right next to the school with some fairly decent single track and a couple of small jumps in it. I've shown them a circuit to follow in the wood and also been doing time trials with them.

I also have a large field with a small natural, fairly smooth and about a foot high drop off in it which I get the kids to ride a circuit in to get used to the bikes and for me to see that they can actually ride them!

Its gone quite well today but I'm going to be working with the same groups for the next 2 days and I think they'll get bored!

I have the kids for an hour at a time.

Anybody got some suggestions of other activities or games I can do that involve the bikes using the areas I've mentioned?

Thanks in advance, J.
I love the sound my tyres make on dusty single track!

Comments

• RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Getting dirty in the woods with some school children huh?

Racing, obviously. Sprinting across the field in a straight line be best.

Don't know what else to suggest, health and safety and insurance and all that, would you be allowed to actually teach them stuff? How to wheelie, bunnyhop, etc.
  • JayKingFunk
    I know, it always sounds a bit dodgy when you put the word 'kids' in the thread title!

I've thought about sprints too but some of the slightly more 'rotund' kids aren't that competitive, can't think why?!

I'd love to be able to teach them proper techniques like bunny hops and wheelies but like you say, health & safety stuff gets in the way.

I'm a bit worried that if any of the kids fall off and hurt themselves then I'll get angry parents threatening me and trying to claim against the school!

Its difficult with this age group being younger.
  • JayKingFunk
    I know, it always sounds a bit dodgy when you put the word 'kids' in the thread title!

I've thought about sprints too but some of the slightly more 'rotund' kids aren't that competitive, can't think why?!

I'd love to be able to teach them proper techniques like bunny hops and wheelies but like you say, health & safety stuff gets in the way.

I'm a bit worried that if any of the kids fall off and hurt themselves then I'll get angry parents threatening me and trying to claim against the school!

Its difficult with this age group being younger.
  • Introduce them to track standing then pair them off to see who can stand the longest. Take 5 minutes out here & there teaching them the names of all the components on their bikes, then quiz them now & then.
  • Mark out a space using a fairly thick rope, ideally on a grass field. Then everyone rides around inside that space and trys to get the other riders to put a foot down or ride outside the marked area. Really fun and good for developing balanace and skills like slow manouvering/track stands as well as good use of brakes and gears. Last man riding wins.
    Speed is generally slow, and although people occasionally take a sideways spill they are rarely going fast enough to hurt themselves (but it's why grass is better than gravel.) Ramming doesn't work because both riders dab down so all in all lots of fun with minimal risk.
    Scott Genius 08, Marin Rock Springs 08, Marin Pine Mountain 89
  • Thread8
    Thread8 Posts: 479
    A slow race to test balance and trackstand ability when you've taught them, basically the last one over the line wins
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

"It's like parkour, on a bike"