Disk brake sizes

dan shard
dan shard Posts: 722
edited April 2010 in MTB general
I just wondered what sizes we are using, as well as your thought as to combinations. Im in the process of increasing from 7" to 8" on the front and always assumed that I should go from 6" to 7" on the back at the same time but is this really necessary or is a 6" on the back and 8" on front widely accepted as ok as a combination?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Are you lacking power? What brakes, bike and what is your weight?

Bigger is not always better.
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    Power and modulation really. I've got a cube ams with Hayes stroker. I'm arround 11st. The Hayes are pretty strong but they're eithe on or off. Was hoping it would provide a little more modulation as I wouldn't have to squeeze as hard to get a result. I have noticed that I couldn't wash enough speed off on some faster sections too though. Compared to my old juicy 5's they're a bit inadequate
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Larger rotors would make the modulation worse! They would bite earlier into the stroke than before, and lock the wheels even easier.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Definatly don't bother.

I got a 8" rotor for my stroker ryde on the front (stuck with 6" on the back) and TBH, it wasn't worth it. Modulation was worse and they still lacked a lot of power :(

Decided to get a 180mm rotor with my new M4 to give a good compromise btween modulation and power. They had plenty of both so I out the rotor in the middle of the mix if that makes sense