Unashamed advertising: THE COTSWOLDS EXPEDITION. 20.06.10

Beacon Roads Cycling Club, proudly presents its

COTSWOLD AUDAXES

20th JUNE 2010

Some riders may be missing the Circuit of the Cotswolds Sportive which is not happening in 2010, so you may be thinking of a good alternative.

This popular event has become a classic on the Audax calendar and is one of the most successful in the UK, attracting entrants from all over the country. Riders will have a testing day in the saddle that equals many sportive events. It is a great way of exploring the scenary of the Cotswolds by either at your riding at your leisure or as challenge ride. The upper speed limit is 30kph as per audax rules, but you will be lucky to exceed that rate on this course!

There are four rides available and slightly vary in routes to previous years.

THE COTSWOLD EXPEDITION. 210km. South Birmingham - Broadway - Burford, Shutford - South Birmingham

THE COTSWOLD JOURNEY. 160km. South Birmingham - Broadway - Shutford - South Birmingham

THE COTSWOLD OUTING. 110km. Clockwise and Anti-clockwise. South Birmingham - Welford - Wellesbourne - South Birmingham.

Four hundred riders enjoy the warm welcome and camaraderie of this well-established annual promotion, which now features:

- A great HQ near the M42, with ample parking,
- Changing facilities, showers and catering
- Choice of three distances: 108, 150 and 202 km (67.5, 94 and 126 miles)
- Country lanes almost all the way
- Great scenery, with leafy byways and limestone villages
- Controls at cycle-friendly cafes and pubs
- Free refreshments at the start and finish
- Souvenir water bottle for every finisher

For details on the events and to enter online

http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/audax/cotswold/index.html

DSC_4678.JPG

Miss this event at your peril

The Beacon

'A Local Club Delivering Extraordinary Events'

Comments

• dead sheep
    dead sheep Posts: 109
    edited April 2010
    I need not say that I will be riding the event again. This will be my fourth year.

It outpunches all other audaxes and many sportives for fun, quality and price (I think I ought to be a salesman!).
  • dead sheep
    dead sheep Posts: 109
    PS. I wonder if the cancellation of the popular Cotswold Challenge will impact upon the Expedition?

Both are popular and pass through similar territory albeit from different ends of the Cotswolds.
  • That sounds like a great Audax. The only problem is I can't do it as we'll be coming back from doing London 2 Paris on that day :cry:
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Sound great. Revisit some of the route I covered in the B'ham to Cheltenham last yr + see some of the villages nr where I used to live (Banbury).
  • dead sheep wrote:
    PS. I wonder if the cancellation of the popular Cotswold Challenge will impact upon the Expedition?

Both are popular and pass through similar territory albeit from different ends of the Cotswolds.

Funny, the question of the Circuit of the Cotswolds and the Cotswolds Expedition being held at similar times has arisen for the past few years. They start at different ends of the Cotswolds but pass through similar territory.

In previous years both events have been over-subscribed despite being held on similar days. With the Circuit of the Cotswolds being cancelled for just this year, there may be some migration north to Cotswold Expedition. The CofC has a field of around 1,000+ whereas the Expedition events have a limit of 500. So book soon before entries close..
    RonB wrote:
    Sound great. Revisit some of the route I covered in the B'ham to Cheltenham last yr + see some of the villages nr where I used to live (Banbury).

The 160km Journey and the 200km Expedition use a great pub as a control in the picturesque village of Shutford near Banbury. But don't be tempted by the beer, you will still have 50km to the finish :lol:
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Hi there Philip. I signed up for the Outing a couple of months ago and am really looking forward to it.

Just one point, "The upper speed limit is 30kph".

Showing my complete ignorance, does this mean a max average of 30kph or top speed? I can't help thinking that 30kph could be topped on some of the descents and I don't have a speedo fitted :wink:
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    Hi there Philip. I signed up for the Outing a couple of months ago and am really looking forward to it.

Just one point, "The upper speed limit is 30kph".

Showing my complete ignorance, does this mean a max average of 30kph or top speed? I can't help thinking that 30kph could be topped on some of the descents and I don't have a speedo fitted :wink:

This is one of AUK's weirdest regs that I don't quite agree with but nonetheless....

It merely means an average speed. In fact on some of the audaxes, it would be impossible to even achieve such a speed. The controls open and close on the basis of the minimum and maximum speeds. So don't worry, you won't need to hang onto the brakes to avoid overspeeding. If you arrive at the control far too early, you may have to wait a little.

Just to be a bit of a rebel, I usually attempt to arrive at the control before it opens :roll:
  • This a quick note to the observant that the routes have slightly changed this year.

The Expedition is about 10km further and now takes in a nicer route just above Winchcombe before dropping into the picturesque Windrush Valley. We also have a new control at Ramsden in place of the expensive Burford.

The Outing now takes in Ilmington Hill with grand views.

Get your entry in now before it sells out.