Giant TranceX with 140mm forks

turnercraig
turnercraig Posts: 537
edited April 2010 in MTB general
I've got a 09 Giant Trancex frame that I built up with my own bits.

I currently have it set up with Fox Float R forks set at 120mm with quite a few spacers under the stem.

I've heard of quite a few people changing the forks to 140mm travel, mainly Revelations and Talas forks it seems. How well does it work?

I could take the 20mm spacer out of my forks and turn them into 140mm travel floats, I could then take some spacers out from under the stem to compensate. Will it make much difference to the way it will handle rocky descent? I mainly ride at Coed Y Brenin and the other welsh trail centres and sometimes feel I could do with slightly more travel on the front, the rear is great and in a way out performs the fork.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• turnercraig
    turnercraig Posts: 537
    Is this a good idea does anyone think? I'm probably just going to try it anyway, can easily put it back anyway if I don't like it.
  • jadamson
    jadamson Posts: 644
    never ridden it myself but i know plenty of people that run that setup and like it.
  • I run a Trance X with Revelation and they're a perfect match. Makes the bike bettar at going down with virtually no difference to its ( incredible) climbing abilities.

However, I think the front end is so stable and planted I undertstand why Giant specced a 120mm fork - sometimes 120mm feels like all you need.
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012