What track bike?

DabanannaDude
DabanannaDude Posts: 28
edited January 2011 in Track
I want to get into track cycling (having done a lot of road and mtb) and although I've ridden a fair amount of track before, it's always been on borrowed bikes (from scottish cycling). What fairly cheap all rounder track bikes would you recommend?

Comments

• Most people form obervation at Newport ride a Dolan or a Fuji pro (tho I wouldnt get the basic £400 version its not the stiffest thing around). Have you scoured fleabay for a used bargain? There's not much to go wrong with a track bike so the risk is somewhat less than other bikes when buying unseen.
  • I've had a bit of a look on ebay but I should probably make more of an effort. :lol:
    I've ridden a borrowed Dolan which I think was the cheapest version but it was pretty heavy. I'll have a look at the fuji.
  • +1 for welshys comments - stiffness is more important than weight
  • Ainsy8
    Ainsy8 Posts: 28
    I just got a Giant Omnium. Here in OZ it is sold as a complete bike and I got it at 40% off so couldn't help myself. Got the bike for over 100 squid less than the frameset price in the UK.

Have heard this is a stiff track frame but have nothing to compare it to. Plenty good enough for me.

The Fuji Track Pro looks the business as well.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    The biggest problem buying track bikes is separating the genuine track bikes from some commuting fixed bike that is described as a "track bike", especially on Ebay. Got my eye on the Fuji Classic as a starter bike, just need some cash now. The Dolan and Giant hire bikes at Newport are fine, don't know how much they are new though.
  • J M W
    J M W Posts: 6
    Giant TCR Omnuim Track Bike for sale - Links to Ebay

http://www.edinburghrc.co.uk/forums/ind ... ic=12093.0

Dolan & number of other genuine track bikes - http://www.velodromeshop.org.uk/index.p ... ent=8&pg=1
  • SteveR_100Milers
    SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
    Pross wrote:
    The biggest problem buying track bikes is separating the genuine track bikes from some commuting fixed bike that is described as a "track bike", especially on Ebay. Got my eye on the Fuji Classic as a starter bike, just need some cash now. The Dolan and Giant hire bikes at Newport are fine, don't know how much they are new though.

The hire bikes are Pinarello and Giant. Never ridden the giant ones, but the chainsets on the pinarellos are pretty basic (ie cheap and not very durable)
  • Pross
    Oops, yes Pinerello I meant. The one I had most weeks had a huge dent in the top tube which wasn't encouraging :lol: Chainset is easily changed though.
  • SteveR_100Milers
    Pross wrote:
    Oops, yes Pinerello I meant. The one I had most weeks had a huge dent in the top tube which wasn't encouraging :lol: Chainset is easily changed though.

I've seen that one too...which sessions did you ride?
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Pross I will be down a few times soon, hoping to do the TT standing start session June 13th also, so maybe you can try my old Hoy 853 bike with zips ;-)
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:

I've seen that one too...which sessions did you ride?

I did the beginners course in March this year and I'm back down on Monday for the improvers.
    Pross I will be down a few times soon, hoping to do the TT standing start session June 13th also, so maybe you can try my old Hoy 853 bike with zips

Cheers - will you do me a receipt for it so I can get it through the C2W scheme otherwise I'm going to have to earn a lot of Brownie points and get the Mrs to buy me it :wink:
  • SteveR_100Milers
    Although I got my accreditation last year, I rode the improvers course from the 2nd week in Jan to then end of March on a Sunday evening. Good 3 hours session, with about 2:45 actual riding time, and as hard or as easy as you wanted to make it, as most of the sessions were individual based (as in slalom, or taking laps etc).
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I did my acreditation 2 years ago and still have not got the certificate from Newport !!
  • SteveR_100Milers
    I did my acreditation 2 years ago and still have not got the certificate from Newport !!

It's a little laminated card, handwritten, slightly smaller than a credit card
  • dave5n
    dave5n Posts: 3,307
    Check out Varno's V-Sprint range.

Seriously nice bikes and astonishingly good values too.

E-mail v-sprint@live.co.uk
  • Best value for money has to be a Planet X pro carbon. Feels awesome to ride, full carbon and only £425 as far as i know for the frame, forks and seatpost. I've had a dolan in the past and it doesn't compare to my planet x. You can get some very good dolans the DF3 for example but the price is really starting to rise by then!
  • I've seen this one in the flesh at Newport and it's pretty light and stiff. The AM Classic wheels come highly regarded:

http://www.velodromeshop.org.uk/index.php?p=product&id=732

As some people have already mentioned, there are quite a few Planet X ones around and they are great value for money.[/url]
  • I managed to get an 08 Giant Omnium frame from J E James for £260 and built it up for less than £600. It's only 7.1kg and very stiff as you'd expect, I shall be racing it from Oct onwards so hopefully it won't fall apart

I got the Halo aerotrack wheelset for starters for £140 a pair but does anybody know a half decent wheelset to upgrade to when the time comes? There seem to be a few cheapish wheelsets and then the price kind of ramps up to £800 a wheel, there seems to be no middle ground!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    Mavic Ellipses for around £300 a pair are good value.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Richa1181 wrote:
    I managed to get an 08 Giant Omnium frame from J E James for £260 and built it up for less than £600. It's only 7.1kg and very stiff as you'd expect, I shall be racing it from Oct onwards so hopefully it won't fall apart

I got the Halo aerotrack wheelset for starters for £140 a pair but does anybody know a half decent wheelset to upgrade to when the time comes? There seem to be a few cheapish wheelsets and then the price kind of ramps up to £800 a wheel, there seems to be no middle ground!

Hi Richard,

I have just bought one of these off one of the lads on here, doesn't arrive until next week, but was interested in your opinions.

General reviews suggest that it is an all round track bike, would you agree?

I have bought some Pro-lite Rosa Tubs which had good reviews, but they certainly in in the same league as my Road Shamals.

What bars are you using with it?
  • Richa1181
    Richa1181 Posts: 177
    I think it's a great bike, I've done about 6 hours in the velodrome with it so far and have no complaints. It's my first race night tonight so I'll let you know how it holds up for that..

I do know a guy who has done very well on an Omnium and won some medals, but he did have about £5k worth of wheels on it at the time! I only spent about £350 building mine up so it's not going to be amazing, but will do me until I improve, then I'll put some better wheels on it and take it from there. There are plenty of other Omnium's around at the track in Manchester owned by some experienced guys though so I'd take that as a sign you're getting a good bike :)

My bars are just some £30 Deda alloy ones from Ribble, nothing special, but they're pretty comfortable. A guy on a Planet X crashed into me 2 weeks ago and bent his bars, mine were OK, so I'd also say they were strong too!
  • Velonutter
    edited October 2010
    Cheers Mate, I'll have a look at some.
  • jackp
    jackp Posts: 48
    PX pro carbon with carbon tubs-very nice,i have one :D
  • ryan.owens wrote:
    Best value for money has to be a Planet X pro carbon. Feels awesome to ride, full carbon and only £425 as far as i know for the frame, forks and seatpost. I've had a dolan in the past and it doesn't compare to my planet x. You can get some very good dolans the DF3 for example but the price is really starting to rise by then!

try 425 for frame alone
    50 for seatpost
    50-150 for forks
    20 for headset

can you believe a year ago the whole lot cost £399 delivered. PX :evil:

still I love mine :D
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • dave5n wrote:

Just bought one of these.....

Track20bike1.jpg
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • dave5n wrote:

I've just bought one of these track bike, for road use as it looked such great value. James was also very helpfull in dealing with all my dumb questions due yo it being my first roadie & my first single speed.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • Velonutter
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    dave5n wrote:

Just bought one of these.....

Track20bike1.jpg

How much did you end up paying for the bike?
  • dave5n
    dave5n Posts: 3,307
    V sprint also do great wheelsets.
  • Has anyone any experience of the Felt TK2 or the Dolan Seta?

I've also got a fuji pro on my shortlist.