Justifying the cost?

13»

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    It's a compromise isn't it. I have a shared sitting room/kitchen/dining area - but then that's as I wanted - it means I can chat to peeps/listen to music etc as I cook. Have a secure garage underground for the bikes (although the Pinarello lives indoors in the spare room mostly). I have yet to hear a peep from neighbours thanks to the insulation. But honestly I was sold as soon as I saw the size of the roof terrace which is south facing and a massive bonus/selling point. My last flat was old old old and I had to have it rewired, had 2 floods and had it fully redecorated before moving on. Cost a bloody fortune and was a massive hassle. Put me off old buildings for a long long time. Hope fully this place won't cause me any undue hassle...

We seem to have veered OT... but the money I'm saving on energy bills will be ploughed back onto bike expenditure, and extra £240 a year by my calculations!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,416
    True, IP, old houses can be riddled with problems (cowboys are nothing new) and if your not up for the struggle (and it is definitely hard work), doing somewhere up - either yourself or getting builders in - could be your idea of hell. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who thinks it'll be 'fun', but I tend to think of it like a really big bike build if that makes any sense - there's a satisfaction in getting the place just how you want it.

Plus, although I am at best, an average amateur carpenter and a pretty ropey plasterer, I do actually enjoy doing it.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    THIS!

In actual fact I'm not that bad compared to my peers.

I'm with IP on new places vs old. Sometimes there can be too old or just poorly maintained and you can start to see gaps around the edges...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • the_hundredth_idiot
    the_hundredth_idiot Posts: 813
    edited April 2010
    CiB wrote:
    We're all different Derdly-Der but our method is simple. I pay for the roof over our heads, over-payments on the mortgage and vital things like wine & other bills; the lovely other ½ pays for extravagances like food, school things & holidays. What's left is ours to do what we feel like doing, jointly or separately.

Never understood this way of managing family finances.

We have (since the kids came along) one joint account, all income goes into and all expenditure comes out of that one account. Any personal purchases need to be justified as ultimately all money is 'family' money.

That said I've yet to speak to anyone of my generation who manages their money in this way. Maybe it's me?

+1. Particularly since SWMBO gave up work to look after kids, I can't see how our finances could be organised fairly any other way.

The only add-on to your set up is that I have a "pocket-money" account into which I pay a fixed amount each month. And that's my lunch, beer and bike stuff fund. I can spend what I like out of that but anything above that has to jointly agreed.

Probably helps that SWMBO and I have a very compatible, sensible and old-fashioned approach to money - i.e. pay for the necessities first, then put some money away for a rainy day, blow the rest on frivolous stuff.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    Rolf F wrote:

And as CP says, the space is an advantage. Currently my dining room has two road bikes (one undergoing refurb) and a mountain bike in it plus a repair stand and there is still plenty of space for the dining table and a sofa :lol:

Same here, but strangely, it doesn't cut it with the gf!
    So, more of my disposable income will have to go towards the building of a shed in the tiny garden.
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I seem to be getting flak for how we do things :)

It's pretty simple really. All bills are paid, mostly by me. Another chunk goes into savings, investments, over-paying the mortgage etc. What's left over allowing for weekly cash for frivolous spending, kids' pocket money and likely fuel in car for the month, goes into my money pit. She does the same - pays for food & stuff, and has whatever's left for her benefit.

I don't see the issue really. We're not always buying things and when we do it's because one of us wants it, whether that's a new handbag, hugely expensive hiking boots, a new bike or a better TV. Whoever wants is free to buy without having to justify it, or feel guilty about it.

Once in a blue moon we have to buy a car so we agree and do it. In 15 years tho we haven't had cause to disagree over money. As long as the basics are covered - food, carbon bike - there's nothing to get het up about.
  • soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987
    got a joint account as soon as I moved in with my OH 2 and a half year ago.
    i earn more than my OH (not by much) but we put the same amount into the joint each month and it only use for bills and food. The rest are belong to the individual and we have no issue with how each of us spend our spare money. follow the rule - "your money is your money, do whatever you want" :)
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited April 2010
    CiB wrote:

I think most skipped over this bit you wrote:
    CIB wrote:
    We're all different Derdly-Der

To be honest, I think my parents have a similar situation.

My girlfriend and I have a joint account where the house bills are paid from.

Anything jointly owned, hoover, washing machine, TV will be paid for equally. Car is a bit more of a grey area that I want to keep responsiblity and ownership of. So I pay for it.

We have our own money and our own savings.

If say I want a even bigger TV then I suppose I'd simply pay the extra and/or visa versa - see car.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • snellgrove
    snellgrove Posts: 171
    I'm a bit of a snob, and like the premium clothing brands and I justify it like this:

I dont drink
    I dont smoke

It's my main hobby

Cycling is cheaper than running a car by a long long way, so overall I'm still better off.

I don't buy stuff I dont actually need, day-to-day.

I get the stuff I 'want' for birthdays, christmas etc.. i.e. my birthday a few weeks ago, I got a pricey jersey (I have two other jerseys that I don't like that much)

simples.
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    CiB wrote:

It's pretty simple really. All bills are paid, mostly by me. Another chunk goes into savings, investments, over-paying the mortgage etc. What's left over allowing for weekly cash for frivolous spending, kids' pocket money and likely fuel in car for the month, goes into my money pit. She does the same - pays for food & stuff, and has whatever's left for her benefit.

I don't see the issue really. We're not always buying things and when we do it's because one of us wants it, whether that's a new handbag, hugely expensive hiking boots, a new bike or a better TV. Whoever wants is free to buy without having to justify it, or feel guilty about it.

Bingo, it works.
    It's not the "everything in common" some people see as the holy grail of relationship but it works.
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris