Dromarti Bikes

Clever Pun
Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
On Saturday I spoke to a chap riding a very nice looking Dromarti bike he was testing it out firstly on the Tweed Run and then giving it a proper run out on the Hell of the North ride

It looked stunning... I want one, as with their other products it's not cheap, he mentioned £1500 for the frame and headset he also mentioned a choice of drop outs for those of you looking for a stunning FG/SS bike
http://www.dromarti.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=19
Nice, that picture does no justice whatsoever, this however is better
pistaframe_MED.jpg

*waits for Always Tyred to bitch about lack of history, can't justify price if they've not been around for ages etc* :roll:
Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
Fixed Pista- FCN 5
Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    edited April 2010
    I kind of agree with your pre-emptive take on AT's position...

They're a clothing manufacturer, are they not? How do they justify the price?

And the 'obviously there's a limited number' thing is annoying me... it's saying 'of course it's exclusive' like that's a good thing. It's not! It's just a way to make silly people want one more!

Also, it's pretty, but it's not £1500 pretty. I don't know that a SS ever is.

EDIT: 'Dromarti' are a subsidiary of 'Martin Scofield Inc'. Basically a resale agent who 'crafted an Italian-style brand identity'. I don't like it so much any more.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,416
    Does look a bit yum. Mmmmmmm, chroooooome luuuuuuugs [rubs thighs in a Vic Reeves style) And skinny tubes as well.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I'll bite.

At first I didn't like, but it's starting to grow on me.

Price is the price.

Wasn't Always Tyred point about Rapha being the same as say Pearl Izumi but with Rapha written on it and therefore twice the price? Or was that Castelli? In the same way a Novatech HD TV uses the exact same panel as a Samsung but is ultimately cheaper because it doesn't carry the premium brands logo....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • UndercoverElephant
    UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
    edited April 2010
    Those dropouts would likely shear if you properly used that as a fixie, though. Far too skinny.

Edit: Yes, I know it's actually for posing on.

Edit 2: Not the perfectly useful track dropouts in the above picture, the ridiculously thin forward facing ones on the link.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,416
    :lol: Like the bit on the website about delivery in 12 'Italian' weeks. Having experienced this with orders for taps and stone worktops and the like, I reckon you'd be lucky to get it by Christmas if you ordered today.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Depends who, how many and where they are made.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I know nothing about the frame but the photographer should have stopped down the aperture a bit more so it was at least all in focus
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    Dromarti do a pair of mitts that cost a hundred quid (!) so fifteen hundred for a frame seems pretty reasonable although I bet its just badged by them.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Dromarti do a pair of mitts that cost a hundred quid (!) so fifteen hundred for a frame seems pretty reasonable although I bet its just badged by them.
    RApha do a £120 pair of gloves. Made from mammoth leather recovered from permafrost, aparrently.