Is there a nice (women's!) pannier bag ?!

razzleGiant
razzleGiant Posts: 7
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Dear all,

Would just like to ask if anyone knows of a good women's pannier bag for commuting in an out of work?

Most of the women's ones I am sure you know of are the Basil range and they only seem to have two hooks at the top of the bag - and I am not sure of how stable/ safe these are?

Does anyone know of anything/ brand better or have any advice please?

Worse case scenario I do know I could just buy a normal pannier bag... but I am holding off as I am sure there is something beautiful out there waiting for me!

thanks!

Comments

• londonlivvy
    londonlivvy Posts: 644
    I have the Basil Mirte and it seems very stable to me - certainly I've never looked back and seen it dangling off just one of the hooks. The only downside of the bag is that the lining seems to get grubby quite easily.

This website also has lots of different ladies panniers
    http://www.cyclechic.co.uk/shop/bags-pa ... -c-21.html
  • thanks for telling me about that - will have a look so! :D
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Ridelow stock Basil panniers as well.

http://www.ridelow.co.uk/parts-accessor ... 4_272.html
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    I don't know about bags for you, but the naughty schoolboy within compels me to inform you that your username makes me think you're a plus-size model for a girlie mag. Sorry! (hits self on head with tea tray)
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    what is the difference between a woman's pannier and a man's pannier?
    Are they, like, pink and stuff?
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Stuey01 wrote:

I was wondering about this; probably special pockets for scary stuff :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Stuey01 wrote:

and glittery, and have a trans-dimensional portal in them which, like women's handbags, allow them to store seemingly impossible amounts of clutter.

Most women's handbags contain approximately 75% of a Boots Chemists in there (including staff), enough stationery to equip a Staples store, and enough fluff to knit a fairly large jumper (not that you would want to wear it).

It is rumoured that women's pannier bags contain heretofore undiscovered civilisations and we in fact, are in one such ur-pannier ourselves.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rolf_f
    Most women's handbags contain approximately 75% of a Boots Chemists in there (including staff), enough stationery to equip a Staples store, and enough fluff to knit a fairly large jumper (not that you would want to wear it).

Maybe women cyclists just need handbags with pannier clips.......
  • Kieran_Burns
    Rolf F wrote:

Maybe women cyclists just need handbags with pannier clips.......

you might get very rich on that idea 8)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • rolf_f
    you might get very rich on that idea 8)

Does assume that anyone other than Contador is strong enough to shift a bike with a fully laden handbag attached to it though!
  • londonlivvy
    londonlivvy Posts: 644
    The Basil Mirte is effectively a handbag with clips - so I'm afraid someone's beaten you to the idea.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Larg ... 8886-1.jpg

So much like a handbag that most people don't realise it's a pannier or that you've come by bike (which is often the idea, for me, anyway).
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I really like that Pro Campo rack bag... but can I justify the price? No, not really... :(
  • rolf_f
    The Basil Mirte is effectively a handbag with clips - so I'm afraid someone's beaten you to the idea.

So much like a handbag that most people don't realise it's a pannier or that you've come by bike (which is often the idea, for me, anyway).

Call that a handbag?! Where is the purple leather and the hundreds of superfluous gold buckles and catches and the tassles and straps?
  • Kieran_Burns

with the added advantage of not needing Hi-Viz ANYWHERE else :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • claash
    claash Posts: 145
    The basil Mirte works fine (never had anyproblems with mine) and my BF kindly picked me out some very nice purple paniers from Aldi's cycling collection last year..... :lol:

However finding that they lack the required tardisand neatly organised element so I can find my lip gloss with one hand at traffic lights (I am only joking there :wink: ) I also use a patagonia hand bag (ask minx...... she used to stock them) This has loads of pockets and carries all the "boots essentials" I need. :wink:
    Knog also do a hand bag to clip on to the handle bars :lol::wink:
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Oh my god, it actually is a pannier but pink and stuff. :lol::lol:
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Thanks to all the helpful (and random?!) comments and advice given!

I think I am in love with this one:

http://www.cyclechic.co.uk/shop/satchel ... -p-34.html

Any advice anyone please!? All comments welcome I know the Basil Mirte folk are talking about and think its a bit small for fitting in everything for work (i.e. change of clothes, lunch etc) or not!?!?

thanks..
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Hi razzleGiant, it looks a fair size and should hold lunch plus a change of clothes, but what about the 'handbag stuff' plus p-kit and locks? Wouldn't the bag need to contain those also?
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Stuey01 wrote:

and glittery, and have a trans-dimensional portal in them which, like women's handbags, allow them to store seemingly impossible amounts of clutter.

It is rumoured that women's pannier bags contain heretofore undiscovered civilisations and we in fact, are in one such ur-pannier ourselves.

Dude, awesome concept. And the ur-pannier could in itself be part of an undiscovered civilisations in an even larger ur-pannier etc ad infinitum - like a picture of a tv within a tv within a tv.....

I am going to go and lie down......