raleigh banana

fozzy17
fozzy17 Posts: 339
edited April 2010 in Road general
Anybody got any idea on what they are worth, only ive got one and am unsure whether to restore it minty mint or sell it..its a runner now and in good condition for the year.

Comments

• bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Is it 753,531 or 18/25 tubing .This will make a big difference to prices.
    bagpuss
  • fozzy17
    Hi
    its says 18/23 on the frame
  • GarethPJ
    GarethPJ Posts: 295
    You never know your luck. Any old Raleigh even with only an 18/23 frameset can fetch decent money on ebay, the more "collectable" bikes like the Bananas can sometimes fetch surprising amounts even when they are only the base model. However the odds are it wouldn't fetch much. One slightly tatty 18/23 Banana fetched something like £70 a while back, but it shouldn't have done.

Essentially I suppose a bike like that is worth what somebody is willing to give for it, but it's not an investment opportunity.

The weirdness of ebay means that a while ago I managed to pick up a perfectly good, if dirty, Raleigh Criterium 12 in 501 for a fiver.
  • fozzy17
    Thanks for the advice people, still unsure what to do...
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    If you want rid of it then eBay is the only way to go. The 18/23 Raleighs were the bottom of the range unfortunately so it's not worth a fortune. If you got anything near £100 I would think you've done really well.The Banana's were repainted Pursuits & retailed for about £150 back in about 87/88.

Someone will definately take it off you, put a low reserve on it & keep your fingers crossed.
  • GarethPJ
    GarethPJ Posts: 295
    Whatever you do don't put a reserve on it. A lot of potential bidders don't bother when they see "Reserve Not Met", and the charges for reserves are a con. Start it low, like 99p low and don't chicken out. A lot of sellers panic with a day or so to go and withdraw their item because it's not got to the level they expect. Stick with it, serious bidders don't bother until it's nearly over.

I had a guitar go from a scarilly low £40 to £225 in the last two hours! People who bid with more than minute left probably don't "get" the way ebay bidding works.

Honestly, appart from cars I've never started anything on ebay for more than 99p and I've never had a reserve. And I've never failed to make a decent profit. It might be teaching granny to suck eggs, but most of the trick is in really selling the item. Good photographs are important (especially some detail shots of the best bits), a meaningful title helps, but the description is what counts. Really sell your item and lay it out properly so the salient points stand out. Think of it like a CV if it helps. There's no secret to the fact that a professional looking and carefully worded listing will outsell a dozen words of text and one badly exposed photograph.

That's exactly how I got the Raleigh Criterium 12 for a fiver. There was one dull and uninspiring photograph and the description read "Raleigh Criterium 12 Triathlon. Good condition for age. Collection only from wherever." The seller hadn'y even bothered cleaning the gunk off it before taking the picture. Mine was the only bid, made with only seconds to go.
  • fozzy17
    I would like to keep it but im getting the evil eye off the mrs, ive got a few pushbikes and a few motorbikes and ive ran out of room, its in the kitchen now.