Yeah I'm quite pleased with myself (but...)

arthur_scrimshaw
arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
edited April 2010 in The workshop
Trying to improve my workshop skills, so bought the Halfords 'essential' toolkit last week and today I stripped down and serviced (cleaned and repacked with grease) the front and rear hubs of my commuter (Spesh Sirrus) I know it won't sound impressive to many of you but I've had a dread fear of trying to remove cassettes etc. for years!
I know the Halfords kit isn't exactly Park Tools standard but it all worked really well, the cassette tool and chain whip especially.

The wheel bearings are slightly pitted (balls and cones) but the hubs seem ok - not sure why. Where do you get spares from? can't seem to find them on CRC & Wiggle, SJS cycles do them but I'm not sure what I need. The front wheel had 10 balls a side, rear only 9 but they were bigger. Didn't have any accurate way of measuring them but are there standard sizes?
Is my best bet to go to my LBS and buy from there?

TIA

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What hubs are they? Rear are usually 1/4 inch, front can vary.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Spesh unbranded cup n cone hubs use the same size as Shimano, 3/16" front, 1/4" rear.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • redvee wrote:
    Spesh unbranded cup n cone hubs use the same size as Shimano, 3/16" front, 1/4" rear.

that seems right, any ideas where I can get spares?

Thanks for responses so far.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    redvee wrote:

Your LBS will be the easiest though if you want proper loose ball bearings try a local bearing supplier though the quantity they sell you might last you years.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • redvee wrote:

The LBS near my office looked at me blankly when I went in and asked for bearings - below their radar pricewise, it seems. Since then I've tried the LBS near where I live and they were much better for this sort of stuff (only problem is that I'm rarely in that area during their opening hours).

However, I've used bikegoo a few times for this sort of stuff and they seem to have good prices and a friendly, efficient service. (You do need to spend a minimum of £20 to get free P&P, but I've never found that a problem. :lol: ).
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • redvee wrote:

The LBS near my office looked at me blankly when I went in and asked for bearings - below their radar pricewise, it seems. Since then I've tried the LBS near where I live and they were much better for this sort of stuff (only problem is that I'm rarely in that area during their opening hours).

However, I've used bikegoo a few times for this sort of stuff and they seem to have good prices and a friendly, efficient service. (You do need to spend a minimum of £20 to get free P&P, but I've never found that a problem. :lol: ).

Thanks - I'll give them a try, I'm sure I'll be able to push the order over £20!