how to ride 'dips' like at llandegla??

dazed01
dazed01 Posts: 30
edited April 2010 in MTB beginners
no idea what they are called but at the top of llandegla, the first bit of singletrack has a fair few of these quick up and down dips - think ive heard them being referred to like a rollercoaster somewhere.

how do you ride these??? i struggle with some of the ones further down the red trail that throw the back end of the bike up and chuck me off the pedals occasionally.

anyone got some tips for these??

Comments

• jpstar
    jpstar Posts: 561
    Not been there, but if you mean bombholes or somethign similar, try pumping them for speed and stand up maybe if your having difficulty?
  • You mean the berm section? Kinda snakes down the hill to where it splits between red/blue routes?
  • andituk
    andituk Posts: 122
    Just before the blue splits off and you open out into the felled area? Thats "The Rollercoaster"

The idea is to pump them like a pump track I think..
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    the last , feels like i will go over the bars, tis fun,

but the braking bumps dont help :(
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    pump them as if it was a pump track section.

Just ride over the braking bumps - and dont brake on them!
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    does my head in, when riders skid for no reason, ok if you have to stop fast

but i see it a lot, noobs

some bad ones at the last berm at llandegla,
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Stand up and let the bike come up into you as you go over the high bits and then stretch out to let the bike drop into the hollows. Keep your body at the same height and let the bike go up and down.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    pumping is the basic technique for all other mtb techniques.
    it forms the basis of drops jumps,bunny hops etc..
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Pumping?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Do you pump with your left hand or right? :p
  • Jedi
    yes, pumping or using the energy in the trail
  • bails87
    I just thought that as a beginner, the OP may want a bit more explanation/definition of 'pumping'.

I suppose stumpyjon pretty much covered it, let the bike move around you. So bend your arms as the handlebars come up. Then as the front drops, extend your arms, bend your legs and lean back so your body isn't tipped forwards
    MTB/CX

• Jedi
    no you dont bend your arms when the bars come towards you or you let go of the stored energy
  • dazed01
    i found this on youtube just after posting this thread which makes a lot of sense..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9cwoQpRUqo
  • bails87
    Jedi wrote:
    no you dont bend your arms when the bars come towards you or you let go of the stored energy
    So keep your arms locked as the bars come up? :?

But then when the front of the bike drops you can't compensate for it, surely?

You can, and stop calling me Shirley....
    MTB/CX

• nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    You push down the downslope to get extra speed from the trail.

Try going really slow then pushing the bars forward and the bike will move forward further than if you just pedalled / coasted at the speed you are going.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • bails87
    nonnac85 wrote:
    You push down the downslope to get extra speed from the trail.

Try going really slow then pushing the bars forward and the bike will move forward further than if you just pedalled / coasted at the speed you are going.

That's what I thought, but you couldn't push down into the trail if your arms are already straight.
    MTB/CX

• richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    basicly as you reach the crest oth the hump, pump the bars downwards to try and keep the front wheel on the ground and you will also gather more speed with out pedaling.
  • dazed01
    might be answering my own question now but from what i gather you are basically forcing the bike to track the ground accurately rather than letting it bounce up off the trail ???
    which i guess should keep momentum and speed without being thrown up off the bike??
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    exactly, your pumping the bike to keep it planted on the ground.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Depends on what you want to do. It's fine telling a beginner they need to pump the trail for speed but if all they want is to be able to ride a rollery section without being kicked off then allowing the bike to come up into you is what you want to do. if you're more confident then by all means pump the trail, but it's not an ideal beginners skill.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • I can "pump".... I pump everything because I'm too bloody scared to jump :shock: :lol:
  • why don't you joining the crudcatcher ride on the 24th and we'll show you how not to ride them :lol:
  • Jedi
    pumping is the basis of all techniques
  • bails87
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    why don't you joining the crudcatcher ride on the 24th and we'll show you how not to ride them :lol:

What ride?!
    MTB/CX

• bails87
    bigbenj_08 wrote:

well if it was actually in the crudcatcher....:lol:

Cheers though
    MTB/CX

• bails87 wrote:
    bigbenj_08 wrote: