longest commute and how do you survive

mkirby
mkirby Posts: 365
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
I cycled into the new office for the first time last week. Its a 50 mile round trip and took me 1hr 50. Had to leave at 5:45 to get in on time, felt like i had nothing in the legs until i hit the city streets (about 16 miles in).

So how long do people do on a normal commute (not extending for the stats league)?

And does riding in traffic get easier? Traffic was light due to term break but it still freaks me out as im a rural rider normally.

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,200
    You have quite a long one! Its approx a 25 mile round trip for me, I survive by doing it 2-3 times a week to let me chicken legs recover :oops:

Traffic never been a problem as riding in Central London and the 'burbs is the norm for me. You'll get used to it, just stay aware and use your nut, as usual :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I do a 44 mile round trip 5 days/week. It's a killer to start with but you do get used to it given time. I found the trick is to have at least one easy ride in three to let the legs recover
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Mine will be a 24 mile round trip can only 2 two days a week and only work a 4 day week anyway because of long shifts so will be doing easy ones on my days off, when i did 5 days a week back in birmingham which was a 14 mile round trip towpath route i did find by friday if i hammered it everyday walking up stairs in the day did show up that i had not much in my legs left so I learnt Like Rich158 to take it easy a day or two and not to hammer it everyday.
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    the full commute is a 70 mile round trip, but the more normal one is 24 each way. tbh i can only really manage it twice a week as other stuff gets in the way - work and other minor details :lol:

never really find going in a problem, its going home - particularly after a long day that I struggle with
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    mkirby wrote:
    I cycled into the new office for the first time last week. Its a 50 mile round trip and took me 1hr 50. Had to leave at 5:45 to get in on time, felt like i had nothing in the legs until i hit the city streets (about 16 miles in).

So how long do people do on a normal commute (not extending for the stats league)?

And does riding in traffic get easier? Traffic was light due to term break but it still freaks me out as im a rural rider normally.

:shock: 27+mph avg WTF
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    itboffin wrote:
    mkirby wrote:

50 mile round trip therefore 25 mile in 1hr 50
  • mkirby
    er yeah 1hr 50 for each leg. Wish i could do that average.

I think im going to try once a week and see how i feel. I cant do it enough times to save money on bus fares so its really just to get a bit fitter.
  • itboffin
    Big Wib wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    mkirby wrote:

50 mile round trip therefore 25 mile in 1hr 50

duh :lol:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    mkirby wrote:
    er yeah 1hr 50 for each leg. Wish i could do that average.

I think im going to try once a week and see how i feel. I cant do it enough times to save money on bus fares so its really just to get a bit fitter.

Well done that man, tiz what I do each day and i'm sorry to say once you add up cost of parts, clothing and medical bills its pretty much equal to driving if not more, but still it's much more fun. :D
  • mattrsa
    mattrsa Posts: 143
    my commute is approx 19 miles each way

was doing it twice a week , last week I did 3 days,

doing it two days in a row was a killer but after a couple of weeks doing this distance my legs seem to be getting a bit more used to it
    Commuter - Trek 1.2
    Fun - Specialized Rockhopper
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    edited April 2010
    A guy in my office was looking at doing a 120mile round trip.... he did it on day and said never again!
  • dubnut71
    dubnut71 Posts: 123
    I am currently doing a 35 miler round trip, took it steadier on the way in last Friday as a matter of fact but still hit a post lunch lul!!!

I am planning 3 days per week, needs must and I have to drive on 2 days but would love to know it gets easier!

Keep it up mate! you have done the hard bit !!!! :D
    Planet X Superlight with Fulcrum 3's
    Merlin Malt 1
    Specialied Langster Flat Bar Fixed/Fixed
    Giant Seek 3 (full XT group)
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    I do a 46 mile round trip. 4 times a week at the moment, with some other riding/ the odd chaingang. It was very hard at first, but now I find I have just got used to it, and I am getting faster and faster, I managed home to work (23 miles) in 1 hr 3 mins today. I will cut down as and when I start midweek racing, but in the meantime I enjoy my daily TT to work. I would echo what was said by Stevo666 and treat one as a recovery ride, especially after a long day at work...
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    The type of route makes quite a bit of difference - a smooth flat route would nean that you could reasonably cover more miles. I do 31 miles a day about 4 days a week - one day to rest, bring fresh clothes in and do other car stuff. I have 1100ft of climbing and 1100ft of decent on average (each way) during the journey - the roads & paths are also pretty crappy. As I get fitter, I'll add some more hills some of the days.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    itboffin wrote:
    Well done that man, tiz what I do each day and i'm sorry to say once you add up cost of parts, clothing and medical bills its pretty much equal to driving if not more, but still it's much more fun. :D

My commuting by bike has definitely worked out saving me money.
    The train is reasonably pricey, and by the time you take into account the congestion charge, and parking, driving's a non-starter.

Buying shiny bike things saves me money. That's what I tell myself. :)
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    Can you ride in, train it back? Mine is 28 miles each way and that's what I tend to do in winter, and/or if it's a long day. Not perfect, but better than not riding at all.
  • mkirby
    getting the train is not an option. I can however get through the city centre and out to the next village and stop at a mates if shes not out on her bike. So its not all bad. The problem is i work by the river and newcastle is on the side of the valley so its basically a 2 mile 12% climb out and just screws my legs up for the rest of the way home. Coming in is fine except for the cobbles, thats going to be lethal in the wet.

Its also annoying that the town planners built a motor way through the town centre. So every street i cross is a slip of it and is stupid busy in the mornings.
  • I've just started commuting the last 4 weeks, its an 18mile round trip which can be a bit draining when the work is particularly physical. Doing landscape gardening type work at mo, and some days it can be very hard work. I find I'm eating like a horse most of the time (yeh yeh nose bag etc.etc.). I have started going in car when it's raining a.m. as there is nowhere to get a wash and change at work.
    I think at least one day a week in car will keep me a bit fresher for weekend rides but I suppose most weeks there will be at least the odd wet morning... :roll:
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    tubaonwheels

If you are using the bike in your avatar, then chapeau sir...