powder coating forks

pauljoes
pauljoes Posts: 186
edited April 2010 in MTB general
hi there all, I have just had a new H/T it came with grey fox float R. Have found a local company that says they powder coat bikes frames, wheels, forks etc. Has anyone had this done before? do i get the forks stripped down or not?
TREK REMEDY 9
ORANGE CRUSH
DOLAN TUONO
PLANET X PRO CARBON

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have you asked the Powder coaters?

I would expect to fully trip the forks down which would lose you any warranty.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I would have thought they would be able to strip,clean and coat you forks completely. May cost a little more then if you did it but they will probably use a sandblaster and do a better job.
    Never had forks done but had a couple of frames done.

Would be awesome to have colour matched forks.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    the forks will have to be tottaly stripped inc internal stanchion bushings, and stanchions removed from crown to do it properly.

it would be much easy to get them painted with 2k paint, not quite as hard waring but you can polish out marks and touch up a lot better than powdercoat, will just require the lowers and dust seals to be removed, the rest can be masked out.
  • W00DENT0P
    W00DENT0P Posts: 211
    You'd need to strip the forks completely, seals ect ...
    They'd more than likely blast clean the lower legs before they coat them, you'd also be best trying to find some kind of hard rubber / plastic bung to go in the top of the lower legs, will stop any blast media getting into them, you'll also have to make sure you clean them very well before you reassemble them.
    As said, it will void the warrenty on the forks.
  • pauljoes
    pauljoes Posts: 186
    thanks for all the advice lads, as i live a stone throw away from mojo i think i could pop in and ask then what is best, a mate said they can paint there aswel.
    TREK REMEDY 9
    ORANGE CRUSH
    DOLAN TUONO
    PLANET X PRO CARBON
  • Diggler
    Diggler Posts: 33
    ive had it done.

makes the bike look great but is a pain in the behind.

you have to strip the forks completely, including bushings. The stanchion have to be removed if you want the crowns done, which is 99% impossible whith most forks.

It will void your warrenty, so deffo wait until your warrrenty runs out.

Make sure you clear the fork lowers out completely. any blast left in there can get embedded in the bushes once replaced and score stanchions once rebuilt, meaning £250 for new crown, steerer assembly.

Be careful fella. dont leave any blast in there.
    Diggler.
    Eagles may saw high, but weasles don\'t get sucked through engines