Anyone else eschew padded shorts?

davis
davis Posts: 2,506
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
This might mark me out as a bit of a suspect individual, but I actively dislike padded shorts. From reading on here, most people seem to be grateful for their existence. I find the padding doesn't really help, and it makes ...umm... everything sweaty, and that creates nasty chafing problems.

I've been on a few longer rides of around 50 plus miles, and I still seem fine.

Is it just me?
Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    if it works, then keep at it, I find shorts very comfy, no need for smearing with creams.
  • I agree I prefer a banana skin dipped in sand, wait what am I saying ? I sound almost as crazy as you !!! I couldnt survive the 12 mile work commute let alone 50 without padded shorts.

You do know you are meant to wash them dont you? :D

PS are you one of those masochist wierdo's ?

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • davis
    no need for smearing with creams.

Ugh. Don't get me started on creams. Any day that I have to start with a solo re-enactment of Last Tango in Paris I dearly hope I'll be doing something a great deal stranger than cycling...
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    davis wrote:
    no need for smearing with creams.

Ugh. Don't get me started on creams. Any day that I have to start with a solo re-enactment of Last Tango in Paris I dearly hope I'll be doing something a great deal stranger than cycling...

:lol:
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    davis wrote:
    This might mark me out as a bit of a suspect individual, but I actively dislike padded shorts. From reading on here, most people seem to be grateful for their existence. I find the padding doesn't really help, and it makes ...umm... everything sweaty, and that creates nasty chafing problems.

I've been on a few longer rides of around 50 plus miles, and I still seem fine.

Is it just me?
    To a certain extent, if it 'aint broke, don't fix it.

But not all chamois... what is the plural of chamois? or is it like sheep?

Not all chamois are the same. A good one is suppose to be absorbant and a bit stretchy in all directions so that it doesn't rub. A bad one is little more than a thick bit of cloth.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Not for the commute - 5 miles - but I do for longer runs - can't say I've had any issues with sweating or chafing
  • Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • davis
    But not all chamois... what is the plural of chamois? or is it like sheep?

Chamoix.. Chamoises. Chamoisesseseses... oh I don't know.
    Not all chamois are the same. A good one is suppose to be absorbant and a bit stretchy in all directions so that it doesn't rub. A bad one is little more than a thick bit of cloth.

Hmm, I did try a couple of them (not Assos-level, granted), but now I just end up ripping the things out.
    PS are you one of those masochist wierdo's ?

Well.... :)
    Nah, it just doesn't really hurt.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Does the absorbency improve with cost. I got a cheap pair of shorts off ebay (cheap + my size = miracle) and I'm going to get another pair...it's annoying having to wash them after every ride :(

But I'm wondering whether my comfort would be improved getting a more expensive pair as now the weather is warmer I'm *cough* sweating *cough* more.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,200
    Not sure as never really needed them ! Tried the padded lining that came with my baggy shorts when I bought them; it felt a bit odd so rode without and never looked back, even on 3hr + rides. Maybe I'm odd?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • gbsahne001
    suzyb wrote:
    Does the absorbency improve with cost. I got a cheap pair of shorts off ebay (cheap + my size = miracle) and I'm going to get another pair...it's annoying having to wash them after every ride :(

what, you're meant to wash them :roll:
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Eschew, there`s a good word, but try saying "eschew" a lot and it just sounds silly.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    It would sound like you need some lemsip :?
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    suzyb wrote:

But I'm wondering whether my comfort would be improved getting a more expensive pair as now the weather is warmer I'm *cough* sweating *cough* more.[/quote

Suzyb, I've got a few cheap ones (Lidl/Aldi) and one I bought from the Specialized concept store in Ruislip. Chalk and cheese. The cheap ones I use for commuting and yes, I do sweat in them (but then I sweat as a general rule anyway :roll: ). Today (Saturday) I wore the Specialized one under leggings for about 6 hours. Dry and very comfortable.

Money is very tight right now but I'll still try to get at least one more Specialized or equivalent later in the year.

Edit: Yes, I do wash them after every wear :)
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I never used to bother on the MTB but the road bike is a different story with 120psi in the tyres - my nether regions are very grateful. Some shorts are rubbish though. The Endura shorts I had somehow felt like a nappy but perversely seemed to make riding even more uncomfortable - Assos, DHB and others have been fine. As for creams, the Assos stuff is fantastic and not entirely unpleasant to apply... :lol:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    [geek] chamois is both plural and singular.[geek/]
  • Yes, the padding does get better and more comfortable with cost, sadly. I recently moved up from Aldi shorts, which were OK, to a brand called Biemme. I've managed to find their stuff quite cheaply, but the quality is superb. Very comfortable.
  • suzyb
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Suzyb, I've got a few cheap ones (Lidl/Aldi) and one I bought from the Specialized concept store in Ruislip. Chalk and cheese. The cheap ones I use for commuting and yes, I do sweat in them (but then I sweat as a general rule anyway :roll: ). Today (Saturday) I wore the Specialized one under leggings for about 6 hours. Dry and very comfortable.

Money is very tight right now but I'll still try to get at least one more Specialized or equivalent later in the year.

Edit: Yes, I do wash them after every wear :)
    Specialized is not really an option for me. Only place I've found that sell shorts big enough is Corinne Dennis and cycle clothing (but they're out of stock).

Think I'll try padded undies from Corinne Dennis. See if they're better.
  • jthef
    jthef Posts: 226
    Started off with cheap padded shorts now using some Lusso bib shorts (just starting 4th year and now in need of changing) and a pair of Nike bib shorts as well as some other 3/4 as well. The move from cheap shorts to reasonable bib short was good as shammy is so much better but after 3 days commuting I was a bit sore so started using the cream :oops: now and no problems. I prefer the bib short to short as my back is so much warmer.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I love me some padded shorts. The antibacterial pad absorbs the sweat. I have used Vaseline as a cream. I also like a little talc down there at all times, even off the bike.

I did do 63miles in unpadded tights things were rubbing, got real sore. Not the kinda sore you kinda like because something good caused it...

Padded all the way.

I also assume the pad protects the 'pre-children-storage-facility' and helps prevent any infection.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I did some commutes when I was living in birmingham on unpaved towpaths pre padded shorts and never again, I could hardly sit when I got to work and the next few days on the bike I had to keep standing, never going unpadded again
  • Cafewanda
    suzyb wrote:

Those would come in handy for my 'social' rides. Let me know how you get on.
  • Cafewanda
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I also assume the pad protects the 'pre-children-storage-facility' and helps prevent any infection.

:lol::lol:
  • gbsahne001
    or go unpadded and use that as a means of birth control?
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Cafewanda wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

Those would come in handy for my 'social' rides. Let me know how you get on.

I bought some from Wiggle - a company called 'Craft' and they were really good - subtle enough to wear under jeans, but still pretty comfy.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Craft ... 360042758/
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    edited April 2010
    I bought my first padded shorts (I prefer 3/4) from Aldi, they were ******* awful.

I've bought a number of pairs at the £40-£50 mark (usually on sale, marked down from £70 - £80) and most are very comfortable, Trek being a favourite.

My commute is 6 miles so I just wear a normal pair of shorts or my ron hill running longs ...... padded gear for 6 miles seems over-kill, and I don't won't the hassle of changing. :roll:

Shop around and don't buy cheap, you will find a pair that you like, trying them on is shops is essential ( though I'm surprised most shops let you do just that ).

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • suzyb
    Can women wear men's shorts or does the specific gender shaped pads make it uncomfortable.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    suzyb wrote:
    Can women wear men's shorts or does the specific gender shaped pads make it uncomfortable.

My cross dressing days are over :roll: so I'm no expert, but shorts are gender specific and I'm sure they would cause problems.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • davis
    edited April 2010
    gbsahne wrote:
    or go unpadded and use that as a means of birth control?

With my face it's not the absence of padded shorts acting as birth control.

Edit: Add the word "padded", 'cos it was just wrong without.
  • I've just ridden a bike for 10 miles for the first time in 15 years and my arse hurts.

I am pro padded shorts.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,