Please be gentle!!

dugliss
dugliss Posts: 235
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi everyone, new on here so please be gentle with the p*sstaking for the first post at least :wink: I`m thinking of starting to bike to work as I`m struggling to contain my rapidly expanding waistline. The main problem is that I`m a bit worried it`s gonna be too much. I`m a postie so I walk between 8 and 10 miles at work as well as being on my feet in the office and my commute is about 9 and a half miles each way. I`m 44 and 14 and a half stone so I`m thinking that I`d probably only do every other day to start with. I`ve got a decent enough bike, a Boardman hybrid, so I`m all set to go. Do you guys think it`s gonna be too hard or shall I just "man up" and stop looking for excuses?

Comments

• Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    dugliss wrote:
    "man up" and stop looking for excuses?

This!

Start doing 1-2 days as week.. before you know it 10miles each way will seem like nothing.

EDIT: Oh and welcome to the club (when you start)
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • You won't get pee taking on here. I'm a noob too and people have been great.

I'm doing the same as you and I pick my new bike up tomorrow. :D
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,365
    dugliss wrote:
    Hi everyone, new on here so please be gentle with the p*sstaking for the first post at least :wink:

No one agrees to your preconditions
    Do you guys think it`s gonna be too hard or shall I just "man up" and stop looking for excuses?

I think you already know the answer
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    I just have some advice for later on.

If you ever feel like giving up on the idea or it seems you have reached a low, just pop back in the forum and have a browse around.

The weather is only bound to get better now Summer is only round the corner, so that will hopefully give you time to build up stamina and get into a better shape for Winter.

When the rainy season starts again, you will be prepared phisycally (even if you won't necessarily feel like that), but you might have to start thinking of wet wather gear: waterproofs, overshoes, mudguards, and most of all *motivation*.

SO just pop back in whenever you feel like this is not going to work and we will get you back on the saddle in no time.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,416
    Welcome. Yep, take it steady to start with, and add extra days as you feel capable. Don't get disheartened if you have a few bad runs either (weather/bad drivers/p***tures). These happen to everyone now and then, but they are fairly few and far between. Once you get the hang of it you'll wonder why you ever used another form of transport.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • northstar
    northstar Posts: 407
    fnegroni wrote:
    *motivation*.

article-1169909-047214C0000005DC-711_468x312.jpg
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • dubnut71
    dubnut71 Posts: 123
    You'll be fine mate, I felt a bit "post lunch sleepy" on my first commute but it easily passes!!

All the advice here is sound. You "might" think it to be a fair challenge for the first couple of weeks but indeed it gets easier.
    I commuted for the first time on Friday (34 miler round trip) Had a lovely run home, was enlivened and invigorated beyond belief on Friday night when I got home!

Just buid up to it mate, if you start with once a week and build up then thats fine, just don't go at it five days a week to start with!

Oh and padded shorts are a godsend!!! lol !!!

Welcome to the otherside!!, one more of us one less of them!!!!
    Planet X Superlight with Fulcrum 3's
    Merlin Malt 1
    Specialied Langster Flat Bar Fixed/Fixed
    Giant Seek 3 (full XT group)
  • dugliss
    Thanks for all the encouragement. You`re all right, I did know the answers to my own questions, just always looking for an excuse although I am still a little concerned as my job is quite physically demanding despite what most peoples opinions of postmen are!! I`m not too concerned with being able to do the journey as I have a reasonable level of basic fitness although not bike specific. I did London to Brighton the last 3 years so I`ve got all the padded shorts and stuff so I guess it`s time to give it a go
  • Padded shorts get expensive when you need 5 pairs.

Is chamois cream a realistic alternative?
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • dugliss
    Padded shorts get expensive when you need 5 pairs.

Is chamois cream a realistic alternative?

Well I`ve just picked up a couple of pairs of padded undershorts from Lidl which were about 6 quid a pair but they only have them in for a very short period. I think you can get a 3 pack of the Endura undershorts too
  • Interesting. I can't see them on the Lidle website. Might be worth a visit.

Halfords ones are all to small for me. The XL ones are 38" and I need 4 more inches than that i'm afraid.

Is there a Big and tall shop for cycling shorts?
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Not sure if its possible for you to use public transport as an alternative, or to leave your bike at work anywhere. But if it is, another option to help you get up to speed would be to cycle, get the bus/train home, get the bus/train in, cycle.

I do this if I want to go out on the lash right after work (for example - although I never do. Ever).
  • dugliss
    I think Lidl only have things in for a week but you might be lucky and find some left over especially if you`re not the popular 32-34 size. The Halfords undershorts are rubbish, they haven`t really got proper padding just a little felt type pad sewn in!!
  • I'll just use the cream and go commando in jogging pants :lol:
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • dugliss
    :shock:
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Interesting. I can't see them on the Lidle website. Might be worth a visit.

Halfords ones are all to small for me. The XL ones are 38" and I need 4 more inches than that i'm afraid.

www.cycle-clothing.co.uk is the only cheapish one I've found. There is also www.corinnedennis.co.uk.
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    I'll just use the cream and go commando in jogging pants :lol:

Get padded shorts. Seriously.

The Aldi shorts will be here in a few weeks, just keep an eye out here and you'll be able to pick some up cheap.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • suzyb wrote:
    Interesting. I can't see them on the Lidle website. Might be worth a visit.

www.cycle-clothing.co.uk is the only cheapish one I've found. There is also www.corinnedennis.co.uk.

Just ordered two pairs from cycle-clothing.co.uk, along with a bunch of other stuff I didn't actually need :lol:
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    dugliss wrote:
    "man up" and stop looking for excuses?

This!

Start doing 1-2 days as week.. before you know it 10miles each way will seem like nothing.

EDIT: Oh and welcome to the club (when you start)

+1
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game