Old School GT Tequesta 1991

Hairylegs66
Hairylegs66 Posts: 103
edited December 2011 in Your mountain bikes
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hairylegs66/4503729202/?

My GT Tequesta, bought new in December 1991 for £421.

Tange Infinity DB cro-mo frame
Shimano LX 21 speed Rapidfire shifters & mechs
Shimano cantilevers & U brake
Ritchey rims on Exage hubs, Kenda Nevegal DTC Tomac tyres
Deore DX chainset/cranks
Charge Spoon saddle
Ritchey pro alloy bars
ODI grips

By way of comparison the GT Avalanche then cost £620, similar to what it costs now and with a rigid fork and cantilevers too.

My Merlin Malt 1 arrives this week so the GT will get semi-retirement.

Comments

• muddylegs
    muddylegs Posts: 485
    Not to much retirement I hope that is in very good condition. I have the bright orange Karakoram of the same year. I still use mine did 20 miles on it today, my sons tag-along is attached to it now.
  • Hairylegs66
    Hairylegs66 Posts: 103
    Thanks, I try to keep my bikes tidy and I'm sure the Tequesta will be getting used regularly ; it is nice to ride both on and off road and people do comment on it as these old style MTB's are a bit of a rarity on the trails now. The Karakoram is stunning in the yellow/orange/red paint scheme, I always wondered if I should have saved up a bit more at the time and gone for one.....Hope you (and your son) get many more miles out of yours.
  • Update on the Tequesta - now used for my daily commute so it underwent some weight trimming - off came the 48 tooth outer ring on the chainset, which was rarely used anyway, so it's a 14 speed double ring 38/28 set up now. The GT seatpost and pedals have been retired and replaced with a BBB twin clamp inline seatpost (much lighter/better seating position) and Outland CNC flat pedals (also much lighter/wider). Next to go will be the quick release skewers (to be replaced with Halo allen key items) and the Q/R seat clamp. Moon X300 front light and 6 LED Cateye rear light and it gets ridden most days now. I enjoy the WTF? looks from the Carrera/Voodoo MTB owners!!
    Still enjoy riding it but it makes me appreciate my weekend bike which seems like riding an armchair in comparison!! If anyone's interested I will post some more recent pictures.....
  • classic in top nick as well :wink:
  • Amazing condition! Get some new pics up. Have you weighed it?