Claiming Pot hole damage

Skippy2309
Skippy2309 Posts: 426
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Well I have calmed down and cleaned and checked the bike after the incident today.

Happily going along bus pulls along side (fair bit of room - not saying the bus was at fault), next thing i know I catch a glimpse of a pot hole at the last second, pull the front wheel over the back wheel caught it... luckily managed to stay upright heard a smash and crunching sound, turn and see my rear light smashed under the buses wheels.

Carry on upto my destination as it was not really safe to stop and check everything. the ride felt horrid after.

First look tells me the rear wheels shifted in its stays (even with the MKS chain tugs), so whip out the spanner and put it straight, head home ride still felt horrid and was making some nasty sounds, creaking and squealing sounds.

Get home and give the bike a full check over, full strip down to check everything.
- Chain tug on the drive side now has a 45degree bend in it,
- Rear light smashed and the mounts split.
- crud roadrace mud guards rear is split and front split as well.

I was thinking this aint too bad. then check the rim.... its split at the weld you can feel it through the sticker and see it on the braking surface. I got to say the wheel build is a bloody good one, i have buckled MTB wheels at slower speeds. needless to say I dont trust the wheel anymore as its actually split!!

I have no idea how much its going to cost to fix it all and I think its going to need a more detailed check to make sure the frame is fine.

How do I go about claiming this back from the council as its a main road that the pot hole is on?

Worst part is I had literally just finished off the bike after months of tinkering it was now perfect (albeit the last piece a chain ring is somewhere inside royal mail at the moment). :roll:
FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)

Comments

• Skippy2309
    cheers supersonic, went through all stuff on the site and e-mailed the relevant people, was surprised when I returned the scene as i couldnt see the pothole on the approach, I saw it after seeing bits of red plastic strewn across the road then hear the popping of cars hitting it, turn and see something about 14inches across, moving out about a meter and then some, and 2/3inches deep (sorry about the mixed measurements). couldnt measure the hole accurately as its at a bus stop, start of a cycle lane and the roads bloody busy, every picture shows different cars going through the hole.

seriously gutted about the damage, I just about finished making it exactly how I wanted it to be as well.

Only received the bike (from wiggle) in January 2010 :evil:

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Gutted for you, A friend just had similar.

In his case the council never contested it at all, he submitted a claim for all the damage, got a check back in about 2 weeks for the full amount, although this is rare from what I here!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • It may be worth checking fillthathole.org.uk. Amongst other things it will help you identify the liable authority. If the pothole has been reported previously (and some time ago) on the site then that may add weight to your claim. If it isn't on the site, then I would encourage you to report it there. Then if the council/authority don't deal with the hole, others who suffer in the future can point out that it had been reported.

Best of luck with the claim.
  • Skippy2309
    well I sent in the claim with all the info on parts damaged on saturday night (with prices of replacements) got an email on sunday morning saying that its hammersmiths road and hammersmith sent me one saying its the highways agency, neither is disputing the claim just saying that its the others problem.

dont help me much, as I cant ride without a back wheel :roll: and cant afford to buy the replacements at the moment.....

I also noted that the pot hole can be seen on google earth as well as there being some sort of road works happening there as I noticed the sign on the road when I came to get pictures.

Checking the site now, going to update it if there is nothing about that particular pot hole, theres some dodgy ones along there, theres even one which is soo deep you can see the surface under the tarmac!!!

• Skippy2309 wrote:
    got an email on sunday morning saying that its hammersmiths road and hammersmith sent me one saying its the highways agency, neither is disputing the claim just saying that its the others problem.
    I hope you have copied each authority into the other's reply :twisted: Seriously though, send them a link to the google earth view mentioned below. Whose responsibility it is shouldn't be difficult for them to sort. I would also raise complaints with both authorities - one of them is wrong - but drop the complaint as soon as the situation is sorted.
    Skippy2309 wrote:
    I also noted that the pot hole can be seen on google earth as well as there being some sort of road works happening there as I noticed the sign on the road when I came to get pictures.
    Hmm, if it is on google earth then it is quite an old pothole!
  • Skippy2309
    it seems I may have been a bit hasty in thinking I got away unscathed, went doctors on the sunday with a sore leg, she didnt care at all and i got fobbed off with a tubular-grip bandage and ibuprofen (she didnt even touch or look at the leg)... yesterday it was still pretty sore and warmer than normal to the touch, today its been sore around the knee and ankle and I am starting to get a feint bruise around the middle of my shin... its the first bruise I have had in years. Going back to the doctors tonight, as its stopping me from doing my job properly.

That was my instant thought "Specialized needs" especially since the pictures of a blindingly hot day as everyones in shorts and t-shirts in the pictures - hopefully this gets sorted quickly as the new chain ring arrived at last and I cant break it in without a rear wheel lol

On a much brighter note, Mr Crud emailed me saying they are going to send me a replacement set of guards because mine were damaged. I must say I was pleasantly surprised. Many thanks to Mr Crud.