Insurance - student styleee

Garbit
Garbit Posts: 54
edited April 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi there,

I've done quite a bit of searching the forums and there's plenty of people saying pop your bike under house insurance but im kinda stuffed because i dont have a house to insure :) I'm likely to be moving from one house to the next for a while, so i think i need bike insurance. I have a GT aggressor XC 3 - brought for £270 (discounts) but its at halfords for £449, is it worth insuring?

thanks in advance :)

Comments

• *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    Garbit wrote:
    is it worth insuring?

Can you afford to replace it if it's stolen ?
  • bobs bikes
    bobs bikes Posts: 589
    use cycleguard.co.uk
    i insured my bike for £500 including roadside recovery for £52 a year with no excess.
    the house insurance excess is more than that!

pm me for more details.
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    bobs bikes wrote:
    use cycleguard.co.uk

They'll insure my Epic for £414 a year :shock:

That's £115 a year more than my car.........
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    £359 per year for me :shock: thats alot of money

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Garbit,

Cant your parents insure the bike under their house insurance, just make sure they have personal possesions covered away from the home or some insurers offer cover for their kids possessions while at university.

As its on the cheaper end of the scale they may well cover it for no charge.

Worth a look buddy, the benefit is that you wont have to have a specific rated lock as well for most house insurers.
  • Briggo wrote:
    Garbit,

Cant your parents insure the bike under their house insurance, just make sure they have personal possesions covered away from the home or some insurers offer cover for their kids possessions while at university.

As its on the cheaper end of the scale they may well cover it for no charge.

Worth a look buddy, the benefit is that you wont have to have a specific rated lock as well for most house insurers.

Thats what I did. Had my bike stolen at Uni... covered on parents house insurance :)
  • Garbit
    What happens under bike insurance because at the minute i have my bike in my house but its not attached to anything. Would this be covered or do i have to actually lock it to something?

I can do parents cover, i'll be leaving uni soon (hopefully!) If anyone's looking for web/software developer i'm your man :)
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    You have to check with your insurer as they all vary on requirements but I would hazard a guess that if its inside a securely locked building or with you in it, it'd be covered ;)
  • Rickbus
    Rickbus Posts: 39
    Hey Garbit,

Been looking at Insurance myself recently, also living in student accomodation.
    Cycleguard were by far the cheapest, at £44 for ym £550 Specalized Hardrock Prod Disc 2010. However filling it online i had to have a Silver Status lock, as per soldsecure but it mentioned a lock all the way through, so i would think be best to call up and explain your security to them.
    Specialized Hardrick Pro Disc 2010
  • Garbit
    Ha thats mad! i dont know where i could lock mine to hmm

Cycleguard quoted me £37 for mine, i was thinking of getting a kryptonite evolution 4 lock as i noticed some on ebay for like £25 with postage

Do you guys get public liability in with yours? With public liability cover its like £55, public liability covers me for splatting into someones car and wrecking it doesn't it?
  • nikstar1
    nikstar1 Posts: 103
    I insure all my things through my parents house insurance. If you read the policy or ring up and ask then your contents should be covered. Therefore if the bike is within your student house at all times - you should be covered.

Surely if it is inside you house and you're worried about getting it stolen you will be worried about all your other posessions i.e. you laptop. How do you currently insure these??