Another aviodable death on the road.

evil_breakfast
evil_breakfast Posts: 446
edited April 2010 in Campaign
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wilt ... 612858.stm

Whilst it's undoubtedly tragic, and the family must be in pieces at the moment, I can't help but have conflicting views on this.
£15.00 is all that was needed to avoid this happening.
True, even with lights you're always gonna get the SMIDSY syndrome, but speaking as a civil servant who deals with this age group on a day in, day out basis i've always been struck but the general sense of insouciance and irresponsibility.
Stories like this need to be given more exposure to facilitate a "wake up" call to enable a sense of personal responsibility.
You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.

Comments

• downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wiltshire/8612858.stm

Whilst it's undoubtedly tragic, and the family must be in pieces at the moment, I can't help but have conflicting views on this.
    £15.00 is all that was needed to avoid this happening.
    True, even with lights you're always gonna get the SMIDSY syndrome, but speaking as a civil servant who deals with this age group on a day in, day out basis i've always been struck but the general sense of insouciance and irresponsibility.
    Stories like this need to be given more exposure to facilitate a "wake up" call to enable a sense of personal responsibility.

I'm sure everyone on here agrees. I know I do. However we're left with a hurdle to overcome in that how do you reach out to people like this and let them know its moronic to do? They dont come on here for a start, or read the cycling press. At best a rant-letter to local papers gets to one or two people, or an item on The Wright Stuff a couple more.

What does get people to realise is a chat with a Bobby imo.
  • hang on, we don't know anything about the incident yet, and the bbc have an appalling record of apportioning blame where there is none. I'd imagine ascertaining whether or not a rider had lights on his bike after being run over several times is not easy.