For those that have done a 12 hour TT....

Pokerface
Pokerface Posts: 7,960
edited June 2010 in Amateur race
I'm sure not many people have attempted a 12 hour TT. But for those that have - what's it like?

Do you ride it on a TT rig or road bike? I would think a road bike would be MUCH more comfy over that time - even if you go faster/further on a TT bike.

Do you stop for breaks? How often/much?

Contemplating doing one this year as part of the club all-rounder competition. I think only one guy normally does the 12 hour so wins it every year!

Comments

• I attempted one in 2008, but a stomach bug did for me at 78 miles. Most people do it on a TT bike, and stop regularly for re-fuelling but only for a few seconds at a time, it's a race after all for most people. Some riders do it for fun, stopping at the pub etc for lunch but I have not seen this, only anecdotal. A good start is 200 miles, but that's harder than it sounds! Then again you can target say 150 miiles for your first one, and then give yourself a good chance of winning the best improvers prize the following year!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    A few weeks ago I did 120 miles in 7.5 hours on my road bike.

I reckon with good pacing, food and a flat course I could crack 200 miles. If I can overcome the boredom of riding that long!

How do you deal with fluids? My TT bike only has one bottle cage and a small aero bottle on it.
  • Fit more bottles, otherwise you will have to stop more often. My advice is to find a helper as well, someone who can be by the roadside at a pre-determiend spot to help sort out food and drinks for you. I'd not want to try one riding it totally unsupported.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Some riders do it for fun, stopping at the pub etc for lunch but I have not seen this, only anecdotal.
    I stopped for a half of shandy at around 150 miles back in the 60s. Does this count. I recaught the guy in front within 6 miles so it did not do much harm and it sure felt good. I mannaged 219 miles but have not done another since.
    I rode with no support and just 2 500 ml bottles and some sandwiches in a back pocket. I would not recomend this. We did not have gels and energy drinks then so it was orange squash and water.
    As for which bike, if your TT one is comfortable then use that. Maybe raise the bars a little.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I done my first 12 hour last year, all of it on the TT bike, with the bars in the same position as I raced all year, but I didn't use the disc, just deep section rims. Far more comfortable than the road bike, at least you can rest your upper body on the tri bars, though a road bike with tri bars is an alternative.

It is mentally tiring, and you will go through a bad period no doubt, I did and mine lasted about 20 odd miles, due to a severe knee pain, amazing what Ibuprofen and caffeine can do for you :lol: .

I don't know if you have ever done a 100m TT, I can safely say that a 12 hour is more pleasant, and the sense of achievement in completion is great.

As for stops, I stopped a total of 25 mins in the race, which was a bit too much, this year I will aim to stop for about 10 mins max, but then again I will be going for the win, rather than just completing it. I think it is very helpful if you can get support, though it is possible to do it unsupported, especially if it is circuits. Might be an idea to get a profile aero bottle to go between the tri extensions. I also fit normal bottle cages to the bike to fit 2 x 750 ml bottles.

First one will always be a bit of a learning experience, just do it and try to enjoy it.
  • incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    Did you do much specific training for it before hand? Or was it just an add-on to your calendar? Would like to give it a go this year, and then actually go for one properly next year. Bit uncertain though as I won't have much time, if any, to specifically train for it.
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    12`s are great , i always ride at least 1 and up to 3 a year. probably my favourite event. sense of achievement on finishing your first 12 will undoubtedly rival any of your other cycling high spots.
    looks like everybody has different oppinions of what is best. personally , i always use my full spec tt bike although my only concession to comfort is ,i`ll remove my aero lid after about 100 miles. always ride unsupported and dont stop, other than 15 seconds to throw my empty bottles into my car and collect fresh ones. make sure your car is parked on the circuit. dont really eat any solid food just survive on fluids. but what i would suggest more than anything else , is that you enjoy yourself and dont be tempted to climb off when it becomes hard work.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    incog24 wrote:
    Did you do much specific training for it before hand? Or was it just an add-on to your calendar? Would like to give it a go this year, and then actually go for one properly next year. Bit uncertain though as I won't have much time, if any, to specifically train for it.

Quite a few long rides, a 300km audax to get hours in the saddle. Done a 100m TT as well on the same roads to get an idea for a pacing strategy. I didn't specifically train for it, just made sure I got used to being in the saddle for extended periods.

To be honest, unless you have time to get hours in on the bike, it might be a very unpleasant experience after a few hours, then again you might be perfectly fine.
  • robbiedont
    robbiedont Posts: 89
    I'm quite tempted to give one a go in August, any thoughts on pacing?
  • Thick Tester
    Thick Tester Posts: 380
    Just treat it as a day out and enjoy it. If you nail it early on you'll pay for it later on.
    If you look at the statistics on 24hr TT's most riders complete 90% of the distance of the first 12 hours in their second and you'll suffer a similar fade in a 12....

The attached link is a comprehensive article on how to prepare a schedule for one

http://www.abcc.co.uk/Articles/12hrtt.html

I would suggest a helper in a support car if possible carrying spares ( of everthing you can think of ) If you are unsupported most organisers will have a feed station around the course - ring them andfind out before you put your entry in as frustration on the day needs to be avoided at all costs.

And another thing try and slip the organisers a few extra quid with your entry - most 12's now are run on subscriptions or donations to cover their costs, if you don't want to see them die out then consider it and add a note of appreciation with your entry - i'm certain it will be well recieved.