How far can a novice commute?

beefcake2
beefcake2 Posts: 157
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Hello

How far could a novice expect to commute? I am a looking at cycling 10.5 miles each way. When I go out on my bike in the evening I normally do around 16-18 miles at the moment but feel it the next day. I am not exactly fit at the moment either weighing around 18stone.

My aim is to do this 3 times a week (Mon, Tues, Wed) eventually.

Cheers

Beefcake

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends on your fitness! But a new cyclist will use different muscle groups. It is good to have rest days to build them up.
  • Beeblebrox
    Beeblebrox Posts: 145
    edited April 2010
    Start with one or two days a week and push yourself - you'll improve quickly and the more you do the quicker your recovery time will be.

Ultimately it's up to you to see how far you can go... but if you're gonna be doing less than you're already capable of, with an eight hour rest in between I don't see any big problem.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It depends on the route! My commute is 4miles reasonable flat and then 3.5 miles really hilly (I was using the middle cog on the front and 3rd on the rear up two hills) I started just doing tha 3.5 miles and then when I did the full 7.5 found it no harder as the hills were by far the worst bit!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I concur with supersonic's advice - for the first few weeks I'd stick to alternate days, otherwise you'll just burn yourself out.

When I started commuting by bike (12miles for me) it felt fine getting in to work, but it was the return journey on tired legs where I felt it! After a couple of weeks it was pretty much ok though.

Generally, just see how you feel - if you feel good then ride, if you feel tired/sore/stiff then take a day off the bike... you'll be surprised how quickly your fitness improves and your body gets used to the exercise.

All the best, and take care on those rush-hour roads!
    Earn Cashback @ Wiggle, CRC, Evans, AW Cycles, Alpine Bikes, ProBikeKit, Cycles UK :

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/stewartmead
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    29 miles a day,five days a week.

It's what I started with.

Hard work at first and toyed with the idea of getting the train some days but I struggled on and it became easier and quicker.

I was age 29 and of reasonable fitness from running.
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    beefcake2, around 10 miles each way sounds about ideal for a cycle commute. My first regular commute was 12.5 miles and that was the beginning of my love affair with cycling. Many of folks would give a lot to have a decent length commute (i.e. over 10 miles each way) as past of their lifestyle. You even hear of people moving house to make their commute longer!

As you say, you could start with 2 or 3 times a week and taking it easy, but I'm willing to bet that after the first few weeks, as you get fitter, you will be wanting to increase to 5 days, and will see your speed increase.

a serious case of small cogs
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    TBH it depends on the terrain if there are hills I would just do 2 days a week at the start. Although I would go against the advice here and do two days in a row. I find doing one day and then a day off tends to lead to another day off and so on.

However if it is flat I would do 4 days a week straight off, and the other day could be to sort your kit out at the office.

Anyway biggest piece of advice is get your stuff ready the night before and tell everyone you are doing it. It's then a lot harder to get out of doing it. Anyway good luck, let us know how you get on!
  • I started last year on a 12.5 miler, you have the advantage that you already cycle. I hadn't been on a bike since I was a kid. You should be fine.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    yeah, it's doable. Where are you based tho as a 10 mile commute in the urban flatlands of olde London Town is a different proposition to 10 mile sin say the North Of Scotland.

But you already have the right idea of not aiming for every day. Three days a week, Monday, Wednesday and Friday is ideal with a rest day between each commute.

Get used to this for 1, 3, 6 months depending on how you feel then crank it up to 4 or 5 but only when you are ready.

I do 18 miles each way (London based) and did that 3 times a week for 12 months before I felt ready to push it up to 4. Others will achieve the same much quicker bet hey-ho!
    FCN = 4
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    doable for sure, you don''t need to be breaking world records at first, let the fitness and speed build up as you progress to more commuting days and maybe longer evening rides
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I just jumped straight into it, 16 miles each way, 5 days a week.

I was already a cyclist, so I knew what I was letting myself in for - but I'd not been riding the winter before (or much of the year before), so I wasn't in a great state of fitness.

Just keep a steady pace, don't push yourself too hard - I reckon most people of moderate levels of fitness should be able to cope with 10 miles each way if they take it easy.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Terrain is the key, 8 miles on very hilly terrain takes the same effort as 20 miles on the flat, which is why the Dutch cycle so much more than us - the place mkaes a pancake look topographical!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I do 31 miles a day in the Highlands - 4-5 days a week. Started in February when the roads were icy and the temperatures were down to -9C and the brakes were freezing on my 10 year old MTB. I'm 45 and I'd been doing some spinning classes during 2009 but hardly any cycling. The good news is that it only gets easier - I'm on a road bike now and the mornings are now +4C (though windier). Nearly 900 miles and over twice the height of Everest climbed.

As advised, build yourself up - 2 days, then 3 for a while - don't overdo it.

For sure you can do it and you'll feel much better for it.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    And I thought the area around here was hilly :shock:
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Very do able

I have a similar distance and did mon,wed,fri to start and built up to every day.
    And welcome !
    FCN 3/5/9
  • beefcake2
    My commute wont be anything like that hilly. I work south of Oxford so the plan is to drive part of the way from Cheltenham and park at one of the park and rides on the edge of Oxford and cycle from there. As I get fitter I will start parking further away. The closest park and ride is 10.5 miles from work, the next is about 14 miles and then I can park in a village about 18 miles away. What size bag would I need to carry my stuff for work? I know it depends on what I want to carry. I would need clothes and shoes for work, shower stuff, lunch and spares for my bike.

Thanks for all the replies!
  • beefcake2
    My commute wont be anything like that hilly. I work south of Oxford so the plan is to drive part of the way from Cheltenham and park at one of the park and rides on the edge of Oxford and cycle from there. As I get fitter I will start parking further away. The closest park and ride is 10.5 miles from work, the next is about 14 miles and then I can park in a village about 18 miles away. What size bag would I need to carry my stuff for work? I know it depends on what I want to carry. I would need clothes and shoes for work, shower stuff, lunch and spares for my bike.

Thanks for all the replies!
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Rear rack and pannier will make your life so much easier, carrying tools, tubes, waterproofs etc etc , IMO panniers are the best solution.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    AndyManc wrote:
    Rear rack and pannier will make your life so much easier, carrying tools, tubes, waterproofs etc etc , IMO panniers are the best solution.

Yeah - if you wanna carry all the stuff that OP mentioned above. Makes good sense. Your back probably won't get as sweaty either! :D