which bike, again! Trek pilot 2.1 or C'dale Synapse flat bar

Mattveg
Mattveg Posts: 8
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
newbie here so please i'll get the apologies in first...

currently commuting 5 days, 100miles per week with a big (imo) climb of about 800 feet on a Marin Novato, rigid slick mtb, which is now knackered after about 18 months of riding - needs new drive bits, don't know what they're called but i can't use the big ring at all without slips and the rims are paper thin...

so new bike through C2W scheme...

happy to go up to the full £1K and have narrowed it down to either

Trek Pilot 2.1 - drop bars and 105 bits
or
Cannondale Synapse flat bar and 105 bits

original choice was a Genesis Equilibrium but they've run out!

I'm fairly fit, 5"8 & 13 st, and the ride normally takes about 35 minutes @ about 15mph, priority is getting home quickly and in comfort - i know the car would do all these but i do enjoy the ride

advice gratefully recieved
FCN = 8

Comments

• Mattveg
    morning!
    FCN = 8
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Why the Synapse with a flat bar?

Why the Trek Pilot and not the 1 or 2 series, which are, arguably better bikes?

Personally it sounds like you're fit and would benefit from a bike that would open up weekend riding, further distances achievable in faster times.

While the Pilot and Synapse are billed as comfortable, if fitted properly (unless you have a specific back problem - and even then...) no bike should be uncomfortable.

My issue with flat bars (from experience) is that when applied to a road bike frame - like the Synapse it gives a more rigid too upright riding position, which affects in a negative way how the bike handles (descending, climbing, plunging into corners sprinting).

That said, I would seriously look at a road bike like the

CAAD 9 (with Tiagra or 105) - generally regarded as one of the best aluminum frames at that price range.

But if you must have one of the two you've listed then the Synapse with drop bars.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    better wheels on the trek; if it was me I'd go for the trek
  • DonDaddyD
    At £1000 I wouldn't buy either of the bikes listed.

Keeping to the brands you've mentioned (because there are too many to consider) I would buy either:

Trek 1.5
    Trek 2.3
    Cannondale CAAD 9 with Tiagra
    Cannondale CAAD 9 with 105

Best advice go to a local bike shop try them out.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Spatulala
    Spatulala Posts: 291
    I couldn't source an aluminium synapse with drop bars from our local Cannondale dealer, they only had carbon which was over my budget.

In the end I bought the Pilot 2.1. As a first road bike I absolutely love it, I wanted comfort over long distances, but to me it feels really fast. I can keep up with any of the guys I ride with, and can ride it all day long (having changed the saddle, which I couldn't get on with).

For experienced riders the CAAD9 is supposedly 'the one', but for me right now the Pilot is bang on. Next time, who knows?! Happy hunting!
  • Mattveg
    Many thanks for all the comments and help - very much appreciated.

DonDaddyD
    The choice of bike is purely as a method of transport, and time commitments (& wife!) wouldn't stretch to regular 'pleasure' rides apart from maybe 1 charity ride per year.
    the choice of bikes is also limited to those that fit the ever so sexy mudguards as i commute all year.
    also (some of) the other bikes you mention are a little over budget, or without 105 groupset, which having done lots of reading seems to a fairly decent long lasting product that is lots better than the Tiagra - although there is a CAAD 8 with 105 groupset - is there much difference?

Spatulala
    Thanks for the first hand comments about the pilot 2.1, struggled to find many online.

Leaning more towards the Pilot now, as it keeps going round in my head - why bother with a flat bar road bike - kind of defeats the point of a road bike. My commute is fairly traffic free so bobbing and weaving through cars isn't an issue which is where the flat bar would be of benefit.
    FCN = 8
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Having both flat bar and drop bar on each of the bikes makes little difference to my riding style and braking on the hoods works welll enough. My commute takes me from country roads, onto main roads and through a busy town centre, so I encounter all manner of empty roads, traffic etc.

(prefer my CX now and it's really hard getting onto the hybrid. On the plus side cleaned the hybrid and found lots of rust and some frame damage; must be time for a Summer bike and turn the CX into the winter version!)
  • DonDaddyD
    Mattveg wrote:
    Many thanks for all the comments and help - very much appreciated.

DonDaddyD
    The choice of bike is purely as a method of transport, and time commitments (& wife!) wouldn't stretch to regular 'pleasure' rides apart from maybe 1 charity ride per year.
    the choice of bikes is also limited to those that fit the ever so sexy mudguards as i commute all year.
    also (some of) the other bikes you mention are a little over budget, or without 105 groupset, which having done lots of reading seems to a fairly decent long lasting product that is lots better than the Tiagra - although there is a CAAD 8 with 105 groupset - is there much difference?

Spatulala
    Thanks for the first hand comments about the pilot 2.1, struggled to find many online.

Leaning more towards the Pilot now, as it keeps going round in my head - why bother with a flat bar road bike - kind of defeats the point of a road bike. My commute is fairly traffic free so bobbing and weaving through cars isn't an issue which is where the flat bar would be of benefit.

I ride a Giant SCR3 all year round to work. It has a 8 speed Tiagra rear mech and Sora everything else. I bought it for £350 2 years ago. I've never had mudguards on it. Despite the usual wear and tear (wheels not included - seperate issue) it's held up fine. My commute is 10miles through London. The bike climbs fine.

I also have a carbon fibre bike with Ultegra SL.

I'm glad I have a cheap groupset on my commuter, it does the job and is cheap to maintain.

Flat bars unless 30cm wide (or less) don't aid bobbing and weaving through traffic. Don't be tricked by that.

Sounds like the Trek is the one that meets your needs. Being a Trek it should be of good quality.

105 is a good workhorse so I'm told. Don't be put off by the lesser groupsets.

Be sure to try out a number of bikes and a number of groupsets before you buy.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Mattveg
    ok - thanks again. now convinced on drop bars - honest! :?

based on the last couple of replies - is £1k too much to spend - is it a bit overkill?

would some thing like a trek 1.2 or Giant Defy 3 be that much slower/less reliable?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/12-compact-2010-road-bike-ec019678 £650

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Defy-3-Triple-2010-Road-Bike_27727.htm £562
    FCN = 8
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,365
    Established commuter 100 miles a week with a decent size hill to climb, I'd go the full £1k.

CAAD 9 with Tiagra would be the perceived wisdom. Good frame with decent groupset.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Mattveg
    Ok thanks again

Tredz are doing a CAAD 8 with 105 for £999 and the CAAD 9 with Tiagra for the same £££.

any views?
    FCN = 8
  • DonDaddyD
    Mattveg,

Don't be put off by us going on about drop bars, groupset etc. These are things that help define a bike and people cling to their preference with unflinching passionate devotion.

Truthfully there is almost no right answer. There is always a better bike. There is always another option. There will always bound to be someone who likes one thing and doesn't like the other. Best advice: try out as much as you can, pick your preference be open to new different options.

The difference between the CAAD 8 and CAAD 9 is the quality of the frame. The CAAD 8 has an longer head tube and shorter top tube offering a more relaxed geometry. The CAAD 9 a shorter headtube, longer top tube giving a more race-like riding position. Relaxed geometry doesn't automatically mean comfort. Race-like geometry doesn't always mean rigid and uncomfortable. As I said before comfort is ensured by the bike fitting the rider properly.

I would speculate that the CAAD 8 with 105 isn't a better bike (or gives the same ride) as a CAAD 9 with Tiagra as the quality is in the frame. More over its more feasible to upgrade the CAAD 9 to Ultegra (or whatever level you want) because the frame is good.

£1K on a road bike for commuting isn't too much if you can afford and maintain the parts. £300 isn't too little to spend if that's what you can spend and maintain the parts.

Buy what you can afford. Try a number of bikes first.

When my Giant was my only bike I couldn't stop coveting a more expensive bike with carbon and 105 or Ultegra. Now I have that bike, I'm glad my Giant was so cheap it costs little to keep running, more of my money can go on my best bike and the makes a good comparison for when I go on the good bike on the weekend. I'm always amazed at how good my best bike is but I'm always impressed at my commuter for standing up to the battering it gets on a daily basis.

All that said, I cannot in good conscience not strongly recommend a CAAD 9 if you are considering a Cannondale. I saw it in my LBS and just looking at the build quality alone is impressive. In fact unless Bianchi sort out their designs and prices the CAAD 9 will be on my list.
    Food Chain number = 4

• tailwindhome
    Mattveg wrote:
    Ok thanks again

Tredz are doing a CAAD 8 with 105 for £999 and the CAAD 9 with Tiagra for the same £££.

any views?

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... light=caad
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Truthfully there is almost no right answer. There is always a better bike. There is always another option. There will always bound to be someone who likes one thing and doesn't like the other.

...................Buy what you can afford. Try a number of bikes first.

+1

There is a lot to choose from at the £1k mark

Everything already mentioned plus

Defy 1
    Specialized Allez
    Ribble Winter Trainer
    Planet X SL Carbon
    Boardman
    etctetcetc

You could break your heart worrying about getting the right bike

Go to the bike shop. Buy one you like. Point it towards work. Start pedalling.
  • Spatulala
    Spatulala Posts: 291
    Just a thought, do the CAADs take full guards, even if you decide to run 25mm tyres? That was one of the reasons I went for the Pilot in the end (takes full SKS rather than Raceblades)

Also liked the Kinesis Racelight TK2, but I'm a big jessie and liked the idea of the triple. To build a TK2 with a triple pushed the price beyond my budget.
  • Mattveg
    You could break your heart worrying about getting the right bike

Go to the bike shop. Buy one you like. Point it towards work. Start pedalling.

Brilliant - absolutely brilliant advice - or like the wife says - just buy one and get on with it and get a life!

off to Leisure Lakes in the morning (Cheltenham) to look at/try the CAAD9 Tiagra. Am i right in thinking that they're a bit thin on the ground?

presumably some guards would fit even if not full length?

I'll keep you posted - it's all bound to change again!
    FCN = 8
  • DonDaddyD
    I would put Raceblades on the CAAD9 if I absolutely had to. Look what some people have done to theirs.

Are you absolutely certain you want to put mudguards on it? Are they a priority? How much does/would the rain affect your ride, assuming you're wearing cycle kit?

Also do you use panniers on the bike?

If so then may have to give another suggestion, sorry! I was thinking more on this yesterday and it's important to suggest the right bike not just arguably the best bike for the money.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Mattveg
    Cheers DDD, but been and done it now - and finally may get a good nights sleep!

Just put a deposit on the CAAD9 with Tiagra (compact i think - didn't particaulally care which tbh) - unfortunately in white and green - that's about all there is left, cannondale haven't got a restock date so that's about it.

With regards to the commute, i use a rucksack on a monday morning full of shirts etc for the whole week and bring it all back friday afternoons - the wife loves it honest!!!

Just need to get the C2W voucher reissued and then collect. next week hopefully.

Shame the Genesis is sold out though one of the Mags reviewed it this month and scored it really highly, way above the Trek 2.1 (non pilot).
    FCN = 8
  • DonDaddyD
    Mattveg wrote:
    Cheers DDD, but been and done it now - and finally may get a good nights sleep!
    No nonsense "Man the eff up" purchase!

I like it, chapeau.
    Just put a deposit on the CAAD9 with Tiagra (compact i think - didn't particaulally care which tbh) - unfortunately in white and green - that's about all there is left, cannondale haven't got a restock date so that's about it.

Compact looks nicer, I prefer them.
    With regards to the commute, i use a rucksack on a monday morning full of shirts etc for the whole week and bring it all back friday afternoons - the wife loves it honest!!!

Just need to get the C2W voucher reissued and then collect. next week hopefully.

Shame the Genesis is sold out though one of the Mags reviewed it this month and scored it really highly, way above the Trek 2.1 (non pilot).

You'll love the Cannondale. Let us know how you get on!
    Food Chain number = 4

• After growing up with mountain bikes, I've just bought a Synapse Flat Bar 105. Drop bars are out of the question for me as I've got a stiff neck. Also after all these years with flat bars I found it a bit disconcerting not having the brakes at hand when resting on the top bars. The Synapse is a pleasure to ride, but I've already had to send the rear wheel back to be straightened. I think you're paying for a good frame and groupset here, but the RS-10 wheels don't appear to be that strong. I mean, if you're commuting to work, the roads are bound to be crap and there will be bike paths to be ridden on and (low) kerbs to ride on and off :)