Epic Marathon Carbon. (update pics, 3/3/11)

*AL*
*AL* Posts: 1,185
edited March 2011 in Your mountain bikes
2009 Specialized Epic Marathon Carbon

Frame: Epic FACT 9m carbon front triangle, IS construction, M5 aluminum rear triangle.
Rear Shock: Specialized AFR remote mini
Fork: Specialized Future Shock e100, carbon 1-1/8" to 1.5" steerer
Front Mech: M970 XTR E-Type, converted to DMD
Rear Mech: SRAM X0
Shifters: SRAM X0
Crankset: Shimano XTR M970 44/32/22T 175mm
Cassette XTR M970 9 Speed 11-34t
Chain KMC 9L in silver.
Brakes: Custom Avid Ultimate SL, Carbon Levers
Saddle: Fizik Gobi XM K:lum
Seatpost: Thomson Elite Setback
Wheels: Roval Traverse EL
Tyres: The Captain S-Works 2Bliss, Front 2.2 x 26, rear 26x2.0
Bars: Specialized S-Works Carbon XC low rise
Stem: Thomson Elite X4 Stem
Avid Matchmakers

Plastic pedals are very temporary :oops:
I have XTR SPDs, but they're a bit of a faff clipping and unclipping whilst I'm on and off initially setting up the brains.

IMG_2984.jpg

IMG_2926.jpg

IMG_2947.jpg

IMG_2942.jpg

IMG_2923.jpg

IMG_2945.jpg

Comments welcome....

Comments

• Christ, that's lovely (with the exception of the plastic flats of course :lol: )

Is it brand new then? Certainly looks it.
  • housemunkey
    housemunkey Posts: 237
    (with the exception of the plastic flats of course :lol: )

What a lovely pair of pedals, I salute you sir!
  • *AL*
    Yep, flam new today.
    (with the exception of the plastic flats of course :lol: )

They're gash +1, but there's a bit of fiddling around to set both brains up, so I could be ar$ed to clip in and out each time I got off for a tinker. The XTR SPDs will be fitted for it's next outing !

I was looking at a 2010 Epic Expert, but I wasn't overly keen on the 'Nail Varnish Red' Sids, and they happened to have this one in stock with a nice wedge knocked off it.

Couldn't say no really.
  • road_donut
    road_donut Posts: 284
    looks ace mate :D nice one

lol @ gash+1, i thought the same when mine arrived with em too
  • Tolk
    Tolk Posts: 775
    Love the look of the epic marathons. Have to agree with you about this years red, bit too much. Cracking bike, you'll have to let us know how it rides!
  • *AL*
    Tolk wrote:
    you'll have to let us know how it rides!

Bloody quickly !

I haven't weighted it yet, but it's in the region of my Stumpy HT, but it gets the power down so much better.

Now I have the brains 99% dialled in, it's basically a fully rigid bike until it 'sees' a bump and then the brains do their stuff and it's full suss.

it's a bit unnerving to begin with, but once you get your head around the concept it's a definite advantage.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    without turning this into a specialized appreciation society, that really is a beautiful looking bit of kit,
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    that is an awesome bike. wish i had one :evil: lucky :o
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    Very nice, you'll be supersonic on that :)
  • *AL*
    SDK2007 wrote:
    you'll be supersonic on that :)

What, a GT fanboy :lol:
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I had a ride on a 2010 Epic carbon and was very impressed.The 2009 does look better.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • *AL*
    A few goodies that turned up last month (yep, I know I'm a little slow with the updates)

Don't you just love getting shiny new things in the post ?

XTR 175mm Crankset.

IMG_3612.jpg

XTR E-Type Front Mech.

IMG_3617.jpg

XTR spds.

IMG_3619.jpg

And finally a XTR 11-34 casette.

IMG_3622.jpg

IMG_3627.jpg

Still haven't decided on wheels yet, but I'm 99% sure it'll be JRA built DT 240s hubs, Stans Crest rims and Supercomp spokes.
  • road_donut
    Nice *AL* 8)

You got any pics of them fitted ? or are they still in the box ?

*tuttut* if they aint on your beast yet ..... lol
  • *AL*
    Everything was fitted the day it arrived, I'll post up some pics when my daughter brings the camera back from Pony Camp.
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    *AL* - that is fraking AWESOME...

One of the nest bikes on here at the moment - stunning.

Am really into SPesh at the moment!

Tis a winner alright!!! 8)
  • *AL*
    *AL* - that is fraking AWESOME...

One of the nest bikes on here at the moment - stunning.

Thank you BC.

That's praise indeed coming from someone with such an eye for detail.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Go for the Alpine rim over the Crest of a bike of that ilk definitely.

Still on the original fork and shock!? My S-Works one had 4 shocks and 4 pairs of forks, great when it worked though!
  • *AL*
    njee20 wrote:
    Go for the Alpine rim over the Crest of a bike of that ilk definitely.

I assume you recommend Alpine because it would make a slightly stiffer rim being a couple of mm higher in the profile ?

I was leaning toward the Crest because it replaces the 355 which is the classic xc rim, but I'm willing to take all advice on board.
  • njee20
    I assume you recommend Alpine because it would make a slightly stiffer rim being a couple of mm higher in the profile ?

I was leaning toward the Crest because it replaces the 355 which is the classic xc rim, but I'm willing to take all advice on board.

I'm recommending it because it's a lighter, more XC biased rim for an XC race bike!

The profile's the same on both, being slightly lighter you'll likely sacrifice a bit of stiffness, but unless you're on the chunky side I'd definitely get Alpines.
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    See i would choose and have chosen the Crest over the Alpine as the weight difference is not much at all and the Crest will build into a stiffer wheel.
  • *AL*
    See i would choose and have chosen the Crest over the Alpine as the weight difference is not much at all and the Crest will build into a stiffer wheel.

I spoke to Jon Webb (JRA wheelbuilder) and told him about me, my bike and the riding I do and he recommended the Crest too.

That's why I was curious as to why njee20 would advise the Alpine.
  • *AL*
    OK, done the deed on the rims,

IMG_3633.jpg

After much deliberation I've gone for Roval Traverse EL.

IMG_3639.jpg

IMG_3641.jpg

IMG_3643.jpg

IMG_3646.jpg

For the money (very, very good deal at my lbs) I couldn't really find anything comparable for my needs.

It's a bonus that they're tough as old boots, great warranty and backup, tubeless ready, weight in at 1550g a pair and are OS28-compatible.

Some new treads, 2.2 front, 2.0 rear.

IMG_3657.jpg

White saddle to match the new white grips.

IMG_3650.jpg

And because I've done really well staying off the smokes, I put my tobacco money in a jar and I've treated myself to a new Gore Phantom 2 Windstopper jacket.

IMG_3664.jpg
  • road_donut
    You purchased all that from stopping smoking ?..... u must have been a 1000 a day man then i assume :?

Nice collection of booty you have there matey.. it will look ace on your bike :D
  • *AL*
    Just the jacket came for the 'fag tin' I needed a new on 'cause I've put on a little weight since I've stopped :oops:

You don't really notice how much the habit costs until you see the cash mounting up in a glass jar.
    It took just 6 weeks to accumulate enough for the jacket.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i approve of the the lot, especially the tyres which are sooper dooper.
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    Good choices - love this bike.. amazing!
  • njee20
    To continue with the controversial opinions on the wheels I'd have gone for Controles on an Epic!

They will make a nice stiff front end though, the 28mm end caps really do make a difference IMO.
  • *AL*
    edited August 2010
    i approve of the the lot, especially the tyres which are sooper dooper.

On the subjest of tyres, there's something interesting I learned today,

"If for some reason you're unhappy with your tyre selection, all Specialized tires come with a 90 day satisfaction guarantee for the original owner.
    All you need to do is visit your Specialized dealer with the tires, and some form of proof of purchase and they will be able to exchange them for you.
    "
    njee20 wrote:
    To continue with the controversial opinions on the wheels I'd have gone for Controles on an Epic!

For a lighter guy concentrating on XC I'd completely agree.
    For someone of my build using the bike for trail riding the Traverses were a safer bet.
    The top end controls are pretty flexy in my hands (I demoed a S-Works Epic with the SL's fitted), and even the cheapest and heavier AL's had plenty enough give in them.

I was willing to sacrifice a little weight in order to have a stiffer wheel, and after I was offered these for little more than the cheapest controls I thought it was a no brainer.
  • ooooh! looks like a Lovely selection of box's Al!
    very nice indeedy!! especially liking the wheels!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • The jacket is lovely. I love Gore stuff but it's rather expensive.