Hope Head Set

Levi_501
Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
edited April 2010 in MTB general
When I order the DT Swiss forks for the new Trek 8500 frame, rather than a cheapie headset I bit the bullet and bought a Hope Semi Integrated Head Set with the Head Set Doctor nut thing.

Have to say, very impressed. Beautifully made and I really like the idea that you can change the bearings without replacing the whole head set.

Thumbs up from the red corner.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You can do that with any headset.
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    Superstar, any colour, ceramic bearings, split crown race £50. Plus excellent support, I've had a new set of bearings foc after a seal split.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i also love my hope headset. i think it is beautifully made, feels no different to any other headset but it is mega and i would buy one again.
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    my hopes 3 1/2 yrs old seen 3 winters, pressure washers, submerged in a river and lots of abuse without being touched and still smooth as the day it was fitted.
  • mkf
    mkf Posts: 242
    headset........
    chris king the don
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    y? because it last 10 years? or because it says "chris king" on it?

a headset is a part that works the same if it was £30 or £300 the only thing that can make it better is how long it last, i only bought a hope because i have everything else hope, cant say its any better than a £25 cane creek ect.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    mkf wrote:
    headset........
    chris king the don

outdated design that does not work will with long travel forks.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I've got a Hope in the Hemlock- their 1.5 reducer is ace, great value- and an FSA Orbit of some sort in the Soul, is there any difference in use? Nope. The FSA has replacable bearings too.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • W00DENT0P
    W00DENT0P Posts: 211
    nicklouse wrote:
    mkf wrote:
    headset........
    chris king the don

Whys that ?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    W00DENT0P wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    mkf wrote:
    headset........
    chris king the don

Whys that ?

something to do with the compression ring having a rubber ring to hold the fork straight instead of a metal expanding collar like good headsets have.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Got a Hope on my DH bike and a Chris King on my XC bike - they've both been faultless and unless someone mentions the words 'head set' I barely remember they exist, which is about the best compliment you can give a head set IMHO.
  • doubt i'll notice any difference between my £15 FSA DH Pig Pro and the free Hope headset I got with my P7.

The majority of hope stuff is all about style over substance. There are many other cheaper products that do exactly the same thing just as well, if not better... they just look plain.