30 miles later

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
My legs feel like they will never straighten again if bent and my bottom is screaming at me not to sit on a bike saddle ever again. But damn I'm proud of myself.

This is the route I took, did it in 3 hours with only a few minute long stops to stretch or adjust clothing (can't ride no handed to zip up my jacket :wink:).

I'm think I'll need to work on my position if I intend to continue doing long runs. Gets very uncomfortable :(

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    So you make the turn at the far east of the circuit and are faced with that climb??? :shock:

Fark-a-doodle-do :shock:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    well done

it will come, this time last year a long ride for me was 30 miles, no I do at least that most leisure rides. done 108 on monday and felt best about 45 miles in :?
  • Good effort, Suzy. Don't sell it short, Bikehike say 33.2 miles :)
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Great stuff :D
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Noice. :D

Look at your position for sure but most of the discomfort may just be that you're not used to being in the saddle for 3hrs. You get more used to it :)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    So you make the turn at the far east of the circuit and are faced with that climb??? :shock:

Fark-a-doodle-do :shock:
    Pretty sure the elevation graph makes it look much worse than the reality, which appears to be about 300' over 4 miles.

Good effort tho' Suzy. You need a t-shirt like Clever Pun's but with "Shut up Arse" on it.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Well done. You'll do it again on Sunday without a whimper, I bet.

I can see your house from here. :)

I thought BikeHike had stopped route saving BTW. Is it back then?
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    CiB wrote:
    I thought BikeHike had stopped route saving BTW. Is it back then?

They closed the route database, and you can no longer save routes. But they added the ability to show routes that are loaded from elsewhere (e.g. a .gpx file on your own web site).
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    _Brun_ wrote:
    Pretty sure the elevation graph makes it look much worse than the reality, which appears to be about 300' over 4 miles.
    Indeed it does. In terms of gradient bikehike never has it going much over 5%.
    I'll have to find a way of saving some of my commute routes. Those contain quite a few climbs with gradients up to 20%. I nearly died the first time I did hill rides round Bath after moving from the Midlands. Mind you back then I was running a 39x18 low gear on a road bike. Now I run a slightly more sensible 36x25.

However a superb effort for a new rider. Hope its not too long 'til you do the next one.

Mike
  • suzyb
    It probably wasn't that bad a hill but the road surface in places was really really rough and I found it quite difficult. Ended up cycling in the gutter or along the white line in a few places just to try and get a smooth bit of road.

Fortunately the road coming back into town was all nice and smooth and downhill. That bit was fun :D
    CiB wrote:
    I can see your house from here. :)
    ph34r.gif
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    suzyb wrote:
    It probably wasn't that bad a hill but the road surface in places was really really rough and I found it quite difficult. Ended up cycling in the gutter or along the white line in a few places just to try and get a smooth bit of road.
    Know what that's like. Couple of roads round here that have my back wheel skipping around if I stand up.

I'm guessing that you won't be attempting that loop in reverse then.:D Its no fun descending on hills with poor surfaces (unless you have a full-sus MTB :P ).

Mike
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Well done - that's great going in a oner - hope you stretched really well afterwards (I always forget until my legs start to hurt). Some ibuprofen when you get back and before bed will also soothe the pain the following day (you'll still know you've done it).

Great going - when are you doing it next?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Seriously impressed Suze - I've been doing those distances for the last few weeks and it does get easier - make sure your saddle is in the right position and shift your grip from time to time if your arms get tired
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Dudette you like so live in Scotland :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • suzyb
    Well done - that's great going in a oner - hope you stretched really well afterwards (I always forget until my legs start to hurt). Some ibuprofen when you get back and before bed will also soothe the pain the following day (you'll still know you've done it).

Great going - when are you doing it next?
    Sometime next century maybe :wink:

I was going to make it a once a week occurrence. Maybe try out different routes.
  • meanredspider
    suzyb wrote:

I was going to make it a once a week occurrence. Maybe try out different routes.

You might want to try to get a shorter ride or two inbetween - it'll really help the fitness and reduce the pain. If you can't, not to worry, but I think you'll find it more effective if you do. Well done - good luck!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • suzyb
    suzyb wrote:

You might want to try to get a shorter ride or two inbetween - it'll really help the fitness and reduce the pain. If you can't, not to worry, but I think you'll find it more effective if you do. Well done - good luck!
    Yeah I meant just doing one long ride a week in addition to my usual shorter "commutes".

It also seems I can now add headache to the list of ailments today's ride has caused. I've had one pretty much since I got in. I get them after shorter rides as well though so it's nothing to do with the distance.
  • meanredspider
    suzyb wrote:
    It also seems I can now add headache to the list of ailments today's ride has caused. I've had one pretty much since I got in. I get them after shorter rides as well though so it's nothing to do with the distance.

Dehydration? Helmet fit? Glasses causing distortion (if you wear cycling glasses)? Just a few thoughts
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    How do you deal with the polar bears? do you take a rifle with you?