Bike Model Recommendations???

Jeremyjethro
Jeremyjethro Posts: 7
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi,

Sorry I expect this is asked all the time but I have decided to take advantage of my company's cycle to work scheme. I am looking for a bike that would be good on the road but that also can handle the odd bit of off-road cycling too - I am guessing this means a Hybrid.

I have a budget of up to £450, maybe £500 at a push. Could anyone recommend any specific models - I have started to look but it's difficult to see the wood for the trees....?

Any help would be appreciated

Jeremy

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    This depends how much - and how technical the off road is.

How far is your commute?
  • Hi

Commute would be about 10 miles, mainly road but with some canal paths, some of which are in better shape than others so the bike needs to be able to cope with that - it's probably 70/30 in favour of road...

Thanks
    Jeremy
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,365
    Could one of these threads or 'best of 'combo be stickied?

I know we have the beginners guide but something more along the line of a buyers guide may be useful given the current deluge of similar threads

That's not to sound unwelcoming

JeremyJethro

The perceived wisdom for a trail/road combo is a cyclocross bike (CX for short)

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12691979
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Hi

Well looking into it something like that would be really useful...there is so much choice and so many different builds that it's hard to be able to distinguish what is a quality bike and what is going to fall apart after a short time...

Jeremy
  • tailwindhome
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • supersonic
    We have a What Bike thread in the MTB section, but people tend to moan that it misses certain models off etc.

And the question is asked ten times more frequently on MTB too, so I don't see a problem here. The questions tend to be a little more varied too.

-

To the OP - I would recommend a cross country mountain bike. It will lack on the road compared to a slick tyred road bike, but will by far make up for it when the going gets rough.

Have a look at the Carrera Fury, Boardman Sport and Specialized Hardrock. You can always fit lighter tyres if need be.
  • Hi

Thanks a lot for answering, I appreciate you taking the time, I'll take a look at your suggestions

J
  • supersonic
    Hardrock Pro I should add ;-)
  • tailwindhome
    I had a Specialized Hardrock and it was an excellent bike, had to sell it to finance the road bike.

Still miss it though
  • Thanks for the feedback....

I think Boardman bikes will be so ubiquitous soon that I might steer clear of those...I can imagine spending hours trying to unlock the wrong bike...

The Carrera seems to have mixed reviews but the Specialized Hardrock Pro definitely sounds like one I need to check out

Cheers
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    I've decided to ditch my cross country MTB (Stumpjumper HT) as commuter. It's a fine bike for commuting and I hit some light single track on the way too but I've decided that I want to keep it only for trail riding. I'll be picking up a Kona Jake cyclocross bike at the end of the month, and I'll still be hitting that single track on the way.