extra distance

cyclopsbiker
cyclopsbiker Posts: 516
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
thanks everyone, you've encouraged me to add distance on to my commute!!! :lol:

I normally do 6 miles each way Deptford to Holborn in about 30mins (bare with me, I'm on a MTB with knobblies :shock: ). been nursing a knee injury back to what's almost 100%. talk in another thread of the Greenwich foot tunnel reminded me that I used to really enjoy cycling round the Isle of Dogs, through the foot tunnel and Greenwich park when I lived and worked in slightly different places. so, I wondered how much extra mileage/time it would be to do north side of the river, foot tunnel and then a last push up through the park, followed by a short fast blast down the A2 and back to Deptford.

so with the sun shining and no rush to get home yesterday I decided to give it a go and thoroughly enjoyed it. It took me 51 minutes (actual time including walking through the foot tunnel) and about 8.5 miles according to mapmyfitness. so a big thank you to everyone for talking about going home the long way. I shall be repeating it next week.

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    thanks everyone, you've encouraged me to add distance on to my commute!!! :lol:

I normally do 6 miles each way Deptford to Holborn in about 30mins (bare with me, I'm on a MTB with knobblies :shock: ). been nursing a knee injury back to what's almost 100%. talk in another thread of the Greenwich foot tunnel reminded me that I used to really enjoy cycling round the Isle of Dogs, through the foot tunnel and Greenwich park when I lived and worked in slightly different places. so, I wondered how much extra mileage/time it would be to do north side of the river, foot tunnel and then a last push up through the park, followed by a short fast blast down the A2 and back to Deptford.

so with the sun shining and no rush to get home yesterday I decided to give it a go and thoroughly enjoyed it. It took me 51 minutes (actual time including walking through the foot tunnel) and about 8.5 miles according to mapmyfitness. so a big thank you to everyone for talking about going home the long way. I shall be repeating it next week.

Excellent stuff! Last year I was commuting 7.5 miles each way on MTB with slicks, I decided to take longer route home, ended up doing 45miles :shock:

Still, got to take in the rivers Clyde and Leven, Loch Lomond and part of the West Highland Way. I will be doing again soon as part of training for the Etape.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Still, got to take in the rivers Clyde and Leven, Loch Lomond and part of the West Highland Way..

And I thought I was doing okay with Hyde Park, Buckingham Palace / The Mall, Trafalgar Square, bits of the Thames and Canary Wharf...

...reading these reports of nice commutes out on the coast / in lovely scenery is making me slightly jealous!
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • Wallace1492
    lastant wrote:
    Still, got to take in the rivers Clyde and Leven, Loch Lomond and part of the West Highland Way..

And I thought I was doing okay with Hyde Park, Buckingham Palace / The Mall, Trafalgar Square, bits of the Thames and Canary Wharf...

...reading these reports of nice commutes out on the coast / in lovely scenery is making me slightly jealous!

Well, makes up for my usual Maryhell Road, and is so close it would be rude not to do it occassionally.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I can't claim to have done a single 45 mile "long way home", but so far this week (Tue, Weds, Thu), I've accumulated 55 miles in extras on the way home. \o/
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    there's nothing like adding extra miles on.

I actually do the opposite and add miles on in the morning as work 12.5 hour shifts, so on way home dont always fancy a longer ride, however if I ever do half days I always extend. Its the only me time I get so cant really turn it down :)
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    lastant wrote:

Well, makes up for my usual Maryhell Road, and is so close it would be rude not to do it occassionally.
    Know what you mean. Today I cycled through a forest I've driven through loads of times but only just noticed there was quite a few paths leading into it.
  • Wallace1492
    suzyb wrote:
    lastant wrote:

Know what you mean. Today I cycled through a forest I've driven through loads of times but only just noticed there was quite a few paths leading into it.

Last night was south of the river Clyde, along past Govan and Braehead, though Renfrew and Inchinnan, past the Airport, and a lovely climb up and over the Erskine Bridge. 23 miles home instead of 7.5. Only issue, I was into a fair old headwind most of the last 10 miles.... Still, great night for it.