Ballan and Santambroggio Suspended by BMC

pedro118118
pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
edited April 2010 in Pro race
BMC have confirmed that both riders are suspended with immediate effect, pending investigations into their alledged involvement in 'shady goings on', dating back a couple of years, when they were both with Lampre.

Caisse D'Epargne and Valv.Piti take note!

Comments

• FOAD
    FOAD Posts: 318
    +1 to Caisse taking note.

Seems a very honourable thing to do by BMC considering Ballan is one of their marquis rider and they could easily have waited until after the weekend.

You could be forgiven for feeling sorry for the two riders, even though there must be something to implicate them, however minor, given how Valverde has been able to line his pockets and bolster his palmares despite being a proven cheat.

Well done BMC.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Suspension means they are still being paid. It's unfortunate if they are innocent but a team exists to project the image of its sponsors and no rider is bigger than this, the rider is only a means to an end.
  • pedro118118
    I think it's very admirable what BMC have done - it couldn't have been an easy decision, given Ballan's profile and given we're in the middle of his most important part of the season, with Roubaix just around the corner.

I just hope this piles extra pressure on Caisse to do the honourable thing.........although I doubt it, sadly.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,477
    Caisse have a Pro Tour license so are guaranteed entry to the major races. BMC don't so need to curry favour with the likes of ASO. This action is a pre-emptive strike to ensure their Tour invite is not rescinded.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Agree, pretty much with what people are saying.

Will Cadel now pull out of the Giro, seeing his only half decent domestiques are unlikely to ride?

Will Angleo pull an "Astana" on BMC and hand their invite to a team that is more likely to get around the course? (one of the two Dutch teams)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • stjohnswell
    stjohnswell Posts: 482
    Agree, pretty much with what people are saying.

Will Cadel now pull out of the Giro, seeing his only half decent domestiques are unlikely to ride?

Will Angleo pull an "Astana" on BMC and hand their invite to a team that is more likely to get around the course? (one of the two Dutch teams)

I hope not. It's a big shame for Cadel Evans. Looked like he might finally have some decent support around him this year.
  • pedro118118
    At the end of the day, ASO seem to reserve the right to deny entry at their descretion - ProTour or not - if they feel their (the team's) presence adversersely affects the reputation of the Tour.

Personally, I would be delighted to see Caisse D'Epargne dis-invited from the Tour - whether Vav.Piti's down to ride or not (is he BTW?).

Makes the right statement.
    If Caisse D'Epargne try to sue/appeal, then let them try. It would be interesting to hear them try and justify their stance with Valverde in the face of overwhelming evidence, the CAS-endrorsed CONI ban etc...my guess is they would simply make a withering retreat rather than deal with the issue, especially if they're pulling sponsorship at the end of the season.

Give the place to a team who give a damn about fair play.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    BMC are a bike manufacturer so have a much more direct relationship with the cycling followers, Caisse as a bank are much more arm's length.
    I'm not certain of my facts here but isn't it the case that BMC set the team up and have much more direct control, whereas Caisse are just the major sponsors of someone else's team.

Having said all that I'm still 100% in agreement that the right thing to do for Caisse would be to say either Valv is suspended or we want a complete disassociation with the team.

It would be surprising if the contract that Caisse have with the teams didn't have good behaviour clauses in it, which would in term allow them to withdraw.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I wonder though....

Are the majority of the bike-race following and watching public aware of Valverde's situation? Or is it more geeks like on the internet?

I would think many cycling fans just see Valverde winning stages and races - so it's in Caisse's interest to keep him racing as long as they can.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Personally, I would be delighted to see Caisse D'Epargne dis-invited from the Tour - whether Vav.Piti's down to ride or not (is he BTW?).

Caisse major sponsor of another ASO event. It ain't going to happen
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Cunego implicated according to CN report on Stage 5 of Pays Basque

Strava is not Zen.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    iainf72 wrote:

Caisse major sponsor of another ASO event. It ain't going to happen
    ASO knew Valverde copped the ban in Italy and so he couldn't ride last summer's Tour as it went through Italy, but ASO said this was purely because the race went via Italy. They didn't say "we think you're a plonker".
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    shame - he has been reasonably outspoken condemming ricco in the past so kind of assumed he was probably clean.

good move from bmc agreed.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    BMC have a good track record on this don't they?...... :roll:

800px-Floyd-landis-toctt.jpg
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,477
    Indeed they do.

LCTM-DL3-07-007.jpg
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I;m sure we can dig up a pic of Tyler on a BMC as well. Nice bikes, really liked his TT machine.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Equipe reported a few days ago that Cunego had been notified by the police that they wanted to interview him in connection with their enquiries.

Rihs may be a nice guy and all that but he's a lightning rod for riders involved with doping allegations... :roll:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    DaveyL wrote:
    I;m sure we can dig up a pic of Tyler on a BMC as well. Nice bikes, really liked his TT machine.

Not his TT machine:

phonak2.jpg

Who forgot Sevilla?

oscarsevilla.jpg
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Tyler's phantom twin:

perez.jpg