SPD shoes on flat pedals

Jonsquires
Jonsquires Posts: 33
edited February 2012 in MTB beginners
Hello

Sorry this may seem like a silly question, but can you use SPD shoes on flat , non spd pedals?

i am looking for some good shoes, but seems like a limiteed choice of non spd shoes.....

Comments

• Kubase
    Kubase Posts: 17
    Most people who use flats use skate shoes or something like Five Tens. I doubt SPD shoes would be grippy enough on flats because they just aren't designed for that. Never tried it though, so I could be wrong.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Fivetens are expensive though. With decent flats Karrimor trail shoes work really well, and they're cheap!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    bails87 wrote:
    Fivetens are expensive though. With decent flats Karrimor trail shoes work really well, and they're cheap!

Thats exactly my thinking, and that is indeed what I use currently, though I have picked up some cheap SH SPD shoes and pedals to give the clipped in a go over the summer. Cue lots of falls! :oops:

Anyway, back on topic - cheap Karrimor shoes can be had for peanuts here;

http://www.sportsdirect.com/footwear/ou ... ?mppp=true
  • hard-rider
    hard-rider Posts: 460
    hoochylala wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

Thats exactly my thinking, and that is indeed what I use currently, though I have picked up some cheap SH SPD shoes and pedals to give the clipped in a go over the summer. Cue lots of falls! :oops:

Anyway, back on topic - cheap Karrimor shoes can be had for peanuts here;

http://www.sportsdirect.com/footwear/ou ... ?mppp=true
    Which model shoe are you using? Are the soles stiff enough not to flex too much when pedalling? I was considering 5 10s but cannot find any where nearby to try them on and I'd like to spend less if possible.
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    I purchased a pair of Vision skate shoes from Sports direct for a whopping TEN POUNDS!!!
    :lol:
    And they are great with my flats and nice and wide/comfy!!
  • RockingDad
    RockingDad Posts: 239
    I use my Shimano SPD shoes with the cleat cover still on with my flats until I fit the 520's and haven't had a problem. They were from halfords for about £25 and are pretty good.

RockingDad
    2010 Carrera Fury
    1992 Raleigh Equipe
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    my turn for a numpty question

whats so special about skate shoes that makes them work well with flats, didnt think they had much tread, looks a much cheaper option that a pair of 5/10's

in fact so cheap you could get two pairs, one for the ride, one for the airing cupboard from yesterdays ride :D
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    mak3m wrote:
    my turn for a numpty question

whats so special about skate shoes that makes them work well with flats, didnt think they had much tread, looks a much cheaper option that a pair of 5/10's

in fact so cheap you could get two pairs, one for the ride, one for the airing cupboard from yesterdays ride :D

the best type have a waffle pattern sole....so the pins on your flat pedals always sit in a waffle cell....very grippy.

5:10's....a £30 shoe....that sells for £80....and suck up too much water.....course....if you want to climb up vertical walls, they offer the most grip..
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • hounslow
    hounslow Posts: 153
    shoes designed for BMX/skateboarding are ideal (and dont look retarded). try routeone.co.uk or extremepie. TKmaxx tends to get the shite moon boot type skate shoes, from the lesser brands.
  • .Brucey.
    .Brucey. Posts: 66
    I just had a set of flats delivered (Welllgo MG1) as the ones supplied on the bike felt too small and hurt my feet. And I was wondering about shoes. I really like the look of the 5:10 Minaar (lace retention and colours), even though its a SPD compatible shoe will it be ok to ride on flats with the cleat cover fitted?
  • stuisnew
    stuisnew Posts: 366
    Old school Vans, the type that are trendy again, are great for flats. Comfy, reasonable priced and grippy
  • Catfish
    Catfish Posts: 141
    My son uses astro turf football trainers, the sole is very similar to 5/10's, they are easy to keep clean they have a flap over the laces to keep the crap out and you can get them cheep from places like Sports Direct.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The daughter uses airwalks and gets lots of grip, again can be found cheap from Sports Direct as well.

Some SPD soles are 'OK' on flats, my Spesh Tahoe are rubbish, but none are 'good'.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Catfish
    Catfish Posts: 141
    I tried Tahoe's on flats and nearly killed my self. no grip what so ever
  • andymc06
    andymc06 Posts: 245
    Shoes designed for BMXing or skating, whilst offering sufficient grip, are too flexible in the sole. As a result they are less efficient for pedaling than an MTB specific shoe which will transfer more power. 5 10's are always recommended for a reason. They are the best shoes for flat pedals (especially the Impact Low). This is evidenced by the fact they consistently come top in tests and reviews. They do hold water and they won't win any fashion contest but for comfort, protection and grip in ALL conditions they are excellent. (In my humble opinion :D )
    If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • Team515
    Team515 Posts: 141
    I use shimano am41, wellgo mg1 pedals. loads of grip from the shoes
  • scarbs85
    scarbs85 Posts: 170
    Whats always put me off about fivetens (other than the price) is the size of the dam things. They look bulky, and presumably hot and sweaty. As a downhill trainer I can understand them. But as a general trail/xc shoe I'd rather have something a bit more streamlined.
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    I use Etnies hightops, super still sole... I found those trail walking shoes to be not very good with flats with pins, but good with the more traditional looking spikey cage pedals...
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    I get the impression by these posts that only 5 10 impacts are being looked at... I thought they were bulky etc. But the grip is great. I got rid of mine because they were too big/clumsy (for my stick legs anyway :oops: )
    So, I got some freeriders, which look just like the skate shoes your talking about, but still have great grip.
    Also got a pair of chase, which are tiny, but still have the stealth sole and bags of grip.

I had a pair of walking / hiking shoes which i used to swear by, thought they were really grippy. Not worn them for about 5 months - after buying the freeriders. I wore them last week and couldn't believe how downright crap they were grip wise, this is on the same pedals - nano's btw.

Also, shop around and you can get them for around the £60 mark.

Yes they can soak up water, but so what, most shoes will. For real boggy rides (read peaks etc.) I stick a pair of overshoes on the freeriders, keeps them dry as a bone.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    andymc06 wrote:
    Shoes designed for BMXing or skating, whilst offering sufficient grip, are too flexible in the sole. As a result they are less efficient for pedaling than an MTB specific shoe which will transfer more power. 5 10's are always recommended for a reason. They are the best shoes for flat pedals (especially the Impact Low). This is evidenced by the fact they consistently come top in tests and reviews. They do hold water and they won't win any fashion contest but for comfort, protection and grip in ALL conditions they are excellent. (In my humble opinion :D )

See i ride anything technical i can find, so a soft sole = more control simples, you can't feel what your bike is doing if your sole is too stiff. a flexible sole will only have a minimal effect on pedal effiecncy if true turns, the type of grip you want is most important.
  • andymc06
    andymc06 Posts: 245
    andymc06 wrote:

See i ride anything technical i can find, so a soft sole = more control simples, you can't feel what your bike is doing if your sole is too stiff. a flexible sole will only have a minimal effect on pedal effiecncy if true turns, the type of grip you want is most important.

I agree with your point re: soles that are too stiff. However ,Five Ten soles ,whilst stiffer than none MTB specific shoes, are not overly stiff.

The type of grip is important. It is only MOST important if you are not planning on doing serious miles where efficiency and also foot fatigue can become an issue. Then, too soft a sole will cause fatigue. In my opinion (and many others) Five Ten Impact Lows offer the best compromise between all factors.

As with most things it is all down to personal preference and what sort of riding you do. Hence ,I suppose, your preference for a softer sole.
    If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • mtb crazy
    mtb crazy Posts: 245
    i just bought a pair of etnies skate trainers to ride with flats, should be nice and grippy.
  • I have found that 661 Filter shoes work well on flats,really comfortable and NO flex when pedalling.There is a cover you can remove to fit cleats if you want to use clipless pedals.On that point i am summoning the courage to change my flats for spd pedals.Can anyone recommend a paticular pedal? I do prefer a wider type pedal.
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    Rushmore wrote:
    I use Etnies hightops, super still sole... I found those trail walking shoes to be not very good with flats with pins, but good with the more traditional looking spikey cage pedals...

Forget my earlier comment...

I just got some 5.10 Freeriders..

MY GOD THOSE SHOES STICK!!!

Like nothing else I have used ever...

Buy them....
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Bigun6767 wrote:
    I have found that 661 Filter shoes work well on flats,really comfortable and NO flex when pedalling.There is a cover you can remove to fit cleats if you want to use clipless pedals.On that point i am summoning the courage to change my flats for spd pedals.Can anyone recommend a paticular pedal? I do prefer a wider type pedal.
    Shimano M530
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."