Herne Hill?

iPete
iPete Posts: 6,076
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Thinking of heading to a Tue night roadie session, see what all the fuss is about, any commuters attend these? Maybe a chance for the SCR lot to see who can lap who!

Oh and think I'll get funny looks if I leave my pannier on? :lol:

http://www.hernehillvelodrome.com/whats ... ng#tuesday

Comments

• davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    I've never been, although I walk past now and again.

If commuters are allowed in then I think that panniers should be used, plus you should really buy an Altura jacket and wash it at high tempreture until it's faded enough to look used.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    been meaning to do some track riding for a while now.. but going on one with a geared bike seems alien
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • iPete
    davmaggs wrote:
    I've never been, although I walk past now and again.

If commuters are allowed in then I think that panniers should be used, plus you should really buy an Altura jacket and wash it at high tempreture until it's faded enough to look used.

Noted, I'll do the same to my HUMP cover and make sure I keep all my lights on ultra flashy mode. :lol:

Clever Pun, stick it in the top cog and go from there! Can't afford a single speed or track bike at the mo so like the sound of the roadie session..
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Herne Hill Velodrome has a huge following, loads of people from my club, Dulwich Paragon go there. Apparently it's all very friendly and relaxed. I've never been but I should probably give it a go as I live only a mile or 2 away...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Clever Pun wrote:
    been meaning to do some track riding for a while now.. but going on one with a geared bike seems alien

+1 to all of that.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Didn't even realise you could ride it on a geared bike, might have to look into that, or could just hire a track bike. Would be interesting to see how it compares to an indoor velodrome.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Ditto...
    Need to stick my Nitto drops on Carly and start getting used to them.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    MatHammond wrote:
    Didn't even realise you could ride it on a geared bike, might have to look into that, or could just hire a track bike. Would be interesting to see how it compares to an indoor velodrome.

Yes but only on certain nights. However they hire out track bikes pretty cheaply, although they're not exactly top of the range
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    I went to a couple of the Saturday morning training sessions last year and highly recommend to anyone. I was surprised how easy it was to get used to a brakeless singlespeed and I was quickly chaining round with everyone else. Much harder to get used to the steep banking!
    Bike hire is included in the fee (can't remember how much but only a few quid).
    Give it a go as it's good fun,a great social event and a fab workout.
  • iPete
    awesome, look forward to going, should do an introduction track session soon!

Riding 17 miles to work in the morning, 4miles to HH, doing a 10 miler blast on the circuit then cycling 20 miles home could be interesting :lol:
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Go for it, just make the ride home a gentle pootle. I've been known ride in to work (22 miles), nip up to Regents Park for a club night, spend an hour in a chaingang on the inner circle, and then ride home. It makes a nice extended commute of about 60 miles, and it's frightening how soon you get used to it. If you do 17 miles each way you'll be fine,
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    Need to stick my Nitto drops on Carly and start getting used to them.

Done.... narrower bars are gonna take some getting used to. Scary in the drops as well, mainly because there's no quick access to the brakes :shock: (only going to be practicing on quiet empty roads before anyone starts tutting :P)
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)