New Commuter - SS/FG - Bowery/Langster/Paddy Wagon

andyb78
andyb78 Posts: 156
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Following my earlier thread on tyres and p*nctures (thanks for all the advice by the way), I've realised that the the only way forwards is to keep the Boardman for nice summer rides on "appropriate" roads.

I've thus decided that that, following the N+1 rule, that a SS/FG is now in requirement. :lol: Hence the above - I no longer have to work within Hellfrauds, so I'm looking for reviews about the above? Is there anything else I'm missing? Under £700.

Can see a few of you have got Good SS/FG bikes.. so thought I would ask some advice... those there are my initial thoughts... anything I've forgotten? And don''t say Charge.....

Also ( at the chance I might be told to MTFU) are they all equipped with flip flop hubs?

Thanks

AndyB
Road bike FCN 6

Hardtail Commuter FCN 11 (Apparently, but that may be due to the new beard...)

Comments

• ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    I really like my Langster.
    2nd hand last June
    Done 8000 miles on it since.
    All fixed.

It does have a flip flop hub, although I've never used it. 42 x 16 fixed all the way for me.
    Had to replace the wheels though, and the caliperrs are pretty poor (which is why fixed gives me a little more security on the downhills in snow / ice).

Can't really go wrong for the money- although given the choice again, I'd probably go for the CX version - the Singlecross - as it has cantis and proper 'guard clearances
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    I ride a Gary Fisher Triton, I'm very happy with the build quality all round. Only thing I'd change is to go slightly higher on the gearing, I spin out almost all the time on flats (48x20)
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Pearson Touche using 48x18 fixed. Comes with guards if you want them. 3000 miles since last May (I don't know how ex-pat does it!) Approx £700 with guards, upgraded wheels (Halo Aerorage) carbon seat post and SPD pedals.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,200
    Have to say this looks very nice and got a good review in the last C+. Saw one 'in the metal' in the new Evans West End store earlier this week and I could feel the pull of a S/S for the first time....

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/road/flyer/flyer/overview/
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,365
    Can't really go wrong for the money- although given the choice again, I'd probably go for the CX version - the Singlecross - as it has cantis and proper 'guard clearances

I don't think they make the singlecross anymore and as a result the secondhand prices on Ebay seem to defy gravity.

Pity, I'd love one as a winter bike
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Have a look here: http://www.lfgss.com/thread9085.html for the definitive list. Personally I'd add the Kinesis Decade Convert2 and as others have said, the Pearson Touche. I have both and can speak very highly of them. Se my sig for a couple of pics. Pearson built up the Touche for me, but I bought the Decade frame and had that built up to my spec separately which makes for a more personal feel I reckon!
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    +1 for the Pearson.

The other option is to build one yourself, you can do it well for half your budget. I'm doing one based on a donated Ribble winter frame at the mo'.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    OTP?? Bah!!
    Canny Jock wrote:
    The other option is to build one yourself, you can do it well for half your budget. I'm doing one based on a donated Ribble winter frame at the mo'.
    Yay!
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • I personally like the look of the Condor Tempo. Be a great winter bike, that one.
  • andyb78
    andyb78 Posts: 156
    Canny Jock wrote:
    +1 for the Pearson.

Would Cyclescheme let you buy components with the voucher? I was assuming they would make you buy something OTP...
    Road bike FCN 6

Hardtail Commuter FCN 11 (Apparently, but that may be due to the new beard...)
  • markshaw77
    markshaw77 Posts: 437
    I'm a happy Paddywagon owner - 42x16 fixed (for fun) and freewheel (for the commute). Love the all steeel F&F and option of the flip-flop hub, but wouldn't be upset if I only had one or the other.

In terms of upgrades, I have replaced the tyres as Conti Ultra Sports are like tracing paper and kept me frequently in touch with the fairy, switched the brake pads for koolstop salmons and the cheap dicta freewheel gave up after about 1500 miles (it did get left outside through most of the crap weather, so not really surpirsing) so got replaced with a White Industries ENO (AWESOME!!)

Any of the bikes in the title are solid OTP performers and reasonable value for money, so I don't think you'll go far wrong, so just Doooooooooooo Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!!!!
  • Harveytile
    Harveytile Posts: 227
    I am picking up my new baby tomorrow - Pearson Hanzo (steel is real and all that). Will update as soon as I take her for a spin. So tomorrow afternoon then.

I have a 20 mile commute each way so hope the steel will take the edge off the worst of the bumps :shock: .
    Beep Beep Richie.

FCN +7 (Hanzo Fixed. Simple - for the commute)
    FCN +10 (Loud and proud PA)
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I personally like the look of the Condor Tempo. Be a great winter bike, that one.

the pista is also a very nice ride plus you'll be properly fitted
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    andyb78 wrote:
    Canny Jock wrote:
    +1 for the Pearson.

Would Cyclescheme let you buy components with the voucher? I was assuming they would make you buy something OTP...

I'm not sure, I believe that some of the schemes will let you buy a frame (that's why I have the Ribble - bro in law is buying a new winter frame) although not sure which one he is using. I'll find out shall I?

edit: Seems like it's at the discretion of the vendor - a bit like the ability to top up the normal £1000 limit. Here's a good guide from on one:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/news/products/q ... le-to-work
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    One idea I had regarding the CTW scheme, if you wanted to get a load of components rather than a full bike, would be to have the shop sell you a BSO for a token amount and then use the rest of th £1000 as 'safety equipment/accessories' which is quite allowable. You'd need a compliant shop, but there'd be nothing illegal about it.
  • stickman
    stickman Posts: 791

I don't think they make the singlecross anymore and as a result the secondhand prices on Ebay seem to defy gravity.

Pity, I'd love one as a winter bike

A crazy decision, it's the only Specialized i've wanted to own.
    Bikes, saddles and stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21720915@N03/
    More stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65587945@N00/

Gears - Obscuring the goodness of singlespeed