Stinky shoes

ratherbeintobago
ratherbeintobago Posts: 636
edited April 2010 in MTB general
Can anyone help?

My bike shoes utterly stink after they get wet - I've tried baking soda & a few other things but they're still foul. Anyone got any ideas?

Ta

Andy

Comments

• Thread8
    Thread8 Posts: 479
    Febreeze, or if they have soft soles put em in the washing machine on a gentle cycle
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

"It's like parkour, on a bike"
  • flob
    flob Posts: 6
    put them in the freezer it will kill off the smell
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    I Febreeze mine after most rides and then leave them in the garage if they're really humming
  • Uncle Peter
    Uncle Peter Posts: 324
    Get some Surgical spirit from a Chemist, put some in a spray bottle and spray in in to the shoes, it kills off the bacteria which stops the smell.

When the bacteria dies, it rots and smells I believe.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    In my experience, once your shoes get to that stage it's very difficult to get rid of the smell. You need to be pre-emptive.
  • Ho hum
    Ho hum Posts: 236
    I agree with Paulie.

In the future try to make sure that they dry out properly and don't sit somewhere cold and damp.

I bring mine into the house when they are wet and muddy and leave them to dry in the utility room (much to the annoyance of my wife). They are now almost 3 years old and have had a good bit of use and they still don't smell.
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Don't smell them
  • Take up road riding, no chance of getting muddy filth,bog ,cow/sheep crap on them.

Hope this helps,otherwise just like dirty scratched bikes its generally part of mountain biking.

A more serious suggestion is overshoes if they are compatible or dry them as soon as you can.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    To dry them out, stuff them full of newspaper, it works brilliantly. You may have to change it once or twice as they dry though. If I do that and they're indoors in the warm they usually dry overnight.
  • rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523
    Its a combination of bacteria and fungus feeding from sweat and dead skin cells which make the smell - when your shoes get wet it just provides a better medium for them to breed in.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I keep the sachets of silica gel from everywhere that i get them from and sling a couple of those in each shoe after use.

They still smell though. :D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    i dont wear shoes :wink:

i put mine in the washing machine and leave them on the radiator overnight if they get filthy no smells apart from a spring time meadow

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • Elliot Ross
    Elliot Ross Posts: 182
    when my get a bit smelly i just put them on the washing line for a day or two and with a bit of febreeze the smell goeS