Anyone else have a blinking *lovely* ride home?

davis
davis Posts: 2,506
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
The weather was perfect, the roads were quiet, and the views were beautiful. Just a quiet drift through the countryside.

Hmm... I'm sure I bought that car for something...
Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.

Comments

• rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    davis wrote:
    The weather was perfect, the roads were quiet, and the views were beautiful. Just a quiet drift through the countryside.

Yup

Hmm... I'm sure I bought that car for something...
    - in my case so that Mrs Rally200 can gad about the countryside all day burning petrol at £1.20 a litre.

My word I'm a miserable old sod
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    I'm about to leave and it looks amazing.

Perfect tailwind for me too (7mph NNW)
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    If I got the legs, Caernafon back roads, then Caerhun, Rhyd Ddu, Nantlle Valley - just like the Alps - Pen y Groes, and cycle track to home.
    1hr 15 min ragging it on road bike, about 2 in pootle mood.
    See about only a dozen cars once in the wilds.

Loadsa hills, sheep!
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    Sunshine, all in bloom, birds singing, cruising at 28 mph with a nice tail wind. Is there anything better than that?? If there is I dont want to know about it 8)
  • davis
    ....and, as I got home in such a cheery mode, I decided to put the "best" bike's wheel back together.

I now have a rim with a misbehaving freehub, and a cracked cartridge bearing. Bother.

Hubris you say?
  • Rada_Rada
    Rada_Rada Posts: 10
    Yes, it's been fantastic. I decided to go a much longer route home. Loved it!!
  • Looked so good this morning I left for work an hour early and took a 20 km detour to the office. The weather was just perfect with the sun coming up, no wind and at 6am virtually no other traffic on the roads. :D
    exercise.png
    FCN = 8
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    25 miles on the way home for me this evening. Didn't see any interesting wildlife though; yesterday, two peahens crossed my path on separate occasions. Well, they might have been peahens. They weren't grouse, at least, I'm fairly sure. Maybe something between a grouse and a peahen, whatever that might be.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    edited April 2010
    Nope I was knackered.17 miles home, I saw a nice fox roadkill although I cant provide a photo because my phone was at the bottom of my rucksack, just think 'true blood' opening credits and you'll get the idea :lol:

You never really see RK in a car.
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    yup lovely ride home at 4pm loads of folks in the parks, plenty of new bikes. lovely.
  • Good rides for the last week. Coming up to my first anniversary of cycle commuting in london and I've really noticed the so called 'summer crew' over the last few weeks. The roads are swarming with people in their gym kit trying to kill themselves.

Although only 10 months in as a commuter I was a very keen cyclist as a teenager and really have the 'I've cycled all winter' smugness.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    lovely weather sh1t ride home; extended commute plus the 5 mile run at the weekend seems to have zapped all my energy. Still a pleasany pootle though.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Had the day booked off for a longer ride today, couldn't have picked a better one! Rode 37 miles out into Kent, it was lovely.
  • I saw a wagtail this morning quickly followed by a rat eating a discarded kebab in sunny Lewisham. Jolly nice weather.
  • davis
    I saw a wagtail this morning quickly followed by a rat eating a discarded kebab in sunny Lewisham. Jolly nice weather.

Poor rat. A kebab for breakfast followed by a day in Lewisham. Still, at least it was sunny.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Yup - lovely evening - even took the hilly route home 16.5 miles and 1765ft of climb in an hour. 15mph wind but mostly a crosswind. Came with about 6 ft of a red kite - lovely big birds - I think we disturbed his tea. Snowy mountains in the background, sea between me and them - fantastic - can't wait for the summer.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Nice slow ride home - no need to rush when it's like that. In fact it was so nice when I got home I even gave the beast a quick rinse as a treat.
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    I'm in training for the fred whitton so I've been taking the long route home, today I decided to take the mountain bike and came back over the fells, bl**dy fantastic. But I'm knackered now so should sleep well tonight.
    I think its even better as the winter seemed to last sooooo long.
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    The ride was really, really lovely last night, with the exception of TWO "road closed" accidents.

I also had a traffic light chat with another cyclist ; I said "I could get used to this weather. so much nicer than the rain". His reply "It is too bloody hot if you cycle as far as I do".
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Last night was superb. I had to be home as quick as so blitzed it, with a bit of a headwind but no traffic. The lanes are really starting to bloom with green shoots, & daffs outside various houses en route, and at about halfway I realised it was a quick 'un so hammered the last 10 thereby not giving m'self time to enjoy it fully.

This is what we've been waiting for. After the winter months of leggings, overshoes, layer on layer under a top coat, thick gloves & Christmas Tree lighting arrangements, we can now slip on a shirt, shorts & mitts and hit it. Magnificent.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Do what?

It was 3 degrees this morning :shock: Full on low-lying mist, lights required, seeing your breath and freezing handsies and footsies.

Fark it was cold.

Glorious blue skies and sunshine as the sun came up mind (yes I left at dawn 8) ), so I'm gonna sweat buckets on the way home.

I NEEDED the Nightvision this morning, but I could well be shoving it in the pannier on the way home.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I'm on a reduced commute; didn't leave till about 10 past 8. Lovely by then, even the traffic was nice. And the roads this way are baby smooth. 6 miles isn't enough though.
  • garryc
    garryc Posts: 203
    No commute for me as I work from home so I took an extra long lunch and went on a nice 25 mile cruise through the countryside, think I saw more horses than cars.

It's also the first time this year that I've properly felt the warmth of the sun, oh and first time for a short sleeve jersey!
  • plonk
    plonk Posts: 37
    Yup, it's remarkable at what a difference the weather makes. And the long rain-lashed, wind-whipped miles that we put in over the winter just make it seem all the more sweet.

I'm actually most excited about the fact that i get to ditch the high-viz jacket. I had no idea they were so frowned upon until i joined this forum!
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    plonk, only the unstyled frown on high-viz. High-viz is the ultimate cycling item - FACT :lol::lol:
  • Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    Glorious, simply glorious. Just the usual route, but left 1/2 hour early and enjoyed the sunshine. Keep it coming! 8)
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    WesternWay wrote:
    His reply "It is too bloody hot if you cycle as far as I do".

He should ride faster to benefit from the cooling effect of the wind.

Wuss.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    Greg T wrote:
    He should ride faster to benefit from the cooling effect of the wind.

Wuss.

I was going to tell him to MTFU, but to be fair to him he did look like he was going to cycle up the hill in Barnet, and I wuss out and live at the bottom of it.