General Components question

HarveyMushman
HarveyMushman Posts: 30
edited April 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi Guys,

I used to be a big fan of MTB'ing but left it all a number of years ago, recently I've started getting back in to it and just bought a Kona King Kikapu.

My question is, the bike is covered in XT components, however some of them are a bit worn and I'd like to replace, are their any specific brands that can compete with these components

I mean they all look nice, ebay has flooded the market with cheap copies with fancy names I haven't even heard off, but if I didn't want to buy exact replacement parts what would be decent alternatives If I wanted a bit more of a custom look?

I'm looking at replacing:

Seat Post
Saddle
Seat Clamp
Gear Cables
Brake Levers
Pedals (non spd)
Tyres (maybe wheels)

I've looked at Crank Brothers, Bontrager, Avid to name a few

Its a bit of a generalised question, thanks for any input

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What is your budget, and sizes of components? Are you a heavy rider?
  • Not really a heavy rider, but I'm looking for quality goods to replace quality goods, I just have little idea on the Brands that are respectable or components comparible to XT, if there are any...if not i'll just buy replacement parts if I can find them.

Under £50
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    edited April 2010
    Yep, a little too general, but judging by you bike I guess you'll be wanted general XC type kit....tons too choose from these are some i would look at:

Seat Post - RaceFace, Thomson, Ritchey

Saddle - depends on your bum shape, I personally favour WTB pure/rocket V, the Charge Spoon gets a lot of love on the forum.

Gear Cables - Shimano, Goodridge

Brake Levers - generally replace the whole brake system not just the lever nowadays - loads of brands - Hope, Hayes, Avid, Shimano...

Pedals (non spd) - Wellgo, DMR, Shimano DX

Tyres - see numerous other threads
    [EDIT - didn't see you last post before I posted this one - you only be able to get a couple of bits with £50...perhaps just a saddle and seatpost for example - but it might not be an upgrade as such as bikes that are kitted with shimano XT generally have reasonable kit already]
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • supersonic
    You won't get all that for 50 quid.

XT is only really drivetrain, hubs and brake components - saddle, seatpost and clamp will have to be a different brand.

The King Kikapu is a well specced bike. Are the parts worn to the point they don't work?

V brakes or disc brakes?
  • haha no not everything for £50, I meant per component

Thanks MacAndCheese your list is pretty much what I was after.

The seat is currently WTB Rocket but torn at the front, I was looking at the Charge Spoon seat and will probably get that if its comparable quality, basically I don't want to devalue the bike with crappy components.

The Seat post is fine its just heavily worn from being moved up and down, taken out etc. I was looking at RaceFace to replace it and the seat clamp has a chip on it (Hope)

The pedals are currently Shimano full SPD pedals, I want flat ones but small in size, I was looking at the Shimano M647 or there are some Crank Brothers on eBay I'm looking at although they'd prob go for more than £50

The cables are a bit scraggy, and I figured be nicer to replace them if possible

The front mech derailleur is really tight, the bike hasn't been ridden for several months , but it lags when shifting down gears and is mega tight pushing the thumb selector up...could just need oiling rather than replacing the cable but its sheathed obviously so may be easier to replace, and lube all the parts up.

There are a few other bits that I want to tidy up, but you have given me a good starting point thanks much appreciated.
  • supersonic
    Right, I get you, lol! Nice budget, sohould be able to get some good, light bits.

Following on from Macs advice, if you are after a lightweight XC post, take a look at this beauty:

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=0&c=47&p=798&

I use one, you will not find lighter for the money.

For the clamp, M parts do a great range.

For the pedals, the venerable Wellgo MG1:

http://www.highonbikes.com/wellgo-mg1-m ... edals.html

Lightest full platform pedal for the price, good bearings and grip.

Saddle - personal preference really!

Cables - I just get it off the roll on ebay or the local shop, and cut to size. Shimano outers, stainless inners.

Front mech - may free up, but check size and type and replace with Deore.
  • Oh yeah that seat post is awesome, much better than what I had been looking at..bookmarked :o) thanks
  • supersonic
    Check out their other components too - cheap and light.
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    check out slx front mech. very good for the money
  • Thanks Jay will have a look

I have a question maybe someone has seen this saddle or knows what model it is:

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/1028760/Spe ... arbon.html

I did a search and it looks like the saddle model is called "Format" although I can't find it in White anywhere, does anyone know if that model name is correct or where to get it from?
  • pvtpile
    pvtpile Posts: 74
    i was in my local bike shop today (bikescene) in guisborough and they had a specialized format in white i had a look on the internet and cant see one this is the only place ive found one they do have a web site but dont have it on the website but maybes if you give them a ring they might be able to sort you out i think it was £50