Who are the current "characters"of Pro cycling?

Paul 8v
Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
edited April 2010 in Pro race
I haven't watched Cycling for years now and I'm getting back into it, when I used to watch it there were Characters like Cipollini with his extravagent bikes/outfits and Pantani the Pirate but I'm not really familiar with any of the current riders and it's not the sort of thing people would just talk about down the pub like football. Is there a guide or something on here that I've missed?
Cheers

Paul

Comments

• Denis Menchov - The funniest amn this side of Moscow ;)

Seriuosly though, Wiggins and a few of the Garmin boys are pretty funny.

Jens Voigt is hilarious, as is Charlie Wegelius.

Fillipo Pozatto is always worth a quote or two.

As for a guide to it, I guess it's all subjective aint it? If you find someone funny you'll consider them a character.

P.S. Welcome back!
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Zabriskie is a joker. Steve Cozza has something going on. Robbie Hunter threatens to explode. Cav offers loudmouth quotes, usually followed up with an apology weeks later. Pozzato is your typical preening Italian stereotype.
  • I agree with TTHR regarding Big Jens. A very funny guy who appears to be still in love with the sport and still backs it up with his performances on the road.
    Love him or loathe him, Mark Cavendish definitely ticks the box marked "character".
    Nicole Cooke has always had an honest and outspoken view of the sport and has striven hard to break down many barriers found in cycling.
    Not forgetting Robbie McEwen. He always tells it like it is.
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Whilst all the above is correct, not sure any of them have the charisma-talent mix of a Cipo.

Strava is not Zen.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    There's a guy who always end up involved in some controversy, even if it's just a Belgian TV boycott.

His name begins with an A, ends in a g, and has 'rmstron' in the middle.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    That's true, but he was the exception. Most riders live a monk-like existence. Twitter is interesting, it gives an insight into things.
  • calvjones wrote:
    Whilst all the above is correct, not sure any of them have the charisma-talent mix of a Cipo.

Quite right.

The Lion King.

From this......

1Cipollini_a_10_anni_con_i_colori_F.jpg

To this.....

8498_9238_Mario_Cipollini001.jpg
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Legend :-)
    After your reccomendations I read a few bits on Pozzato vs Cavendish where they were moaning about each other, quite funny.
    I'm looking forward to the Paris Roubaix this sunday, got that on Sky+ so I guess that's a good place to get back into things.
    I know it's not the same levl but I found out I've just missed the dengie marshes race which is a bummer as it's only 20mins drive from my house, that looks great :lol:
  • Love him or loathe him – or indeed, love to loathe him – Ricardo Ricco.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    I reckon they'd seem more like "personalities" if they weren't wearing sunglasses and helmets going up a mountain. These days they all just look so anonymous.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Svein Tuft has an interesting background

And although he's not particularly a character, I've liked Flecha since he pulled this stunt at the Vuelta: http://www.poetv.com/video.php?vid=43890
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:

And Lance thinks the French hate him?!?! Just two frenchmen laughing at one of his "fans"

Edit: P.S. If you're Sky+ing it, make sure you do the trick of recording the programme before and after just in case it runs over/is moved for the tiddlywinks/is moved for no apparent reason
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    RichN95 wrote:
    And although he's not particularly a character, I've liked Flecha since he pulled this stunt at the Vuelta: http://www.poetv.com/video.php?vid=43890

Yeah, that was funny when it happened. Kinda like this one with Perez Cuapio and the devil too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK_CIbz3bYk

Didi seems to have more of a sense of humour than Antler Man!