sticky hoods?

thrope
thrope Posts: 69
edited April 2010 in The workshop
Hi,

I bought some shimano 600 levers on ebay a while back and am looking to put them on my old raleigh.

They work really smooth and look nice - the only problem is the hoods are really sticky. They are soft white rubber ones... and really sticky.

Does anyone have any idea whats going on with this? Do people sometimes tape over the hoods? (I imagine thats what happened but Ive never seen a bike with tape over the hoods - have very limited experience with road bikes though).

Is there any trick to clean it off or should I also tape over them? I tried my usual staple cleaning method (baby wipes) which didnt make any difference, when it dried they were just as sticky as before. In fact looking now they even seem to be sticky on the inside which makes me think its not tape.

Is there some kind of 3rd party cover I can get either to go over or replace the existing white rubber bits?

How can I get the white rubber bits off without ripping them? Are you supposed to pull the brake lever out backwards or forwards?

Any advice greatfully received!

Cheers

Robin

Comments

• Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    I'd replace them mate - you can buy replacements for under £20 and you can even get the colour of your choice (have a look for 'Hoodz'). :)
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    The hoods will roll up from the handlebar end (if that makes sense) and you should be able to roll them off the top of the levers. Give them a scrub but they shouldn't be really sticky imho.
    <a>road</a>
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Had this with my Tektro levers, a wipe with a cloth laced with GT85 cured it.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    If they're old the rubber can go sticky, especially if they've been exposed to the light...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • thrope
    thrope Posts: 69
    Thanks for the advice folks... I tried GT85 but once it dried after a few minutes they were still the same.

I think it is just the rubber is fatigued... they were pretty cheap. I'd rather not spend £20 on the hoods so will try and find something to cover them with (I saw someone suggested bit of old inner tube, or failing that some tape).
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    Hudz only make products to fit Dura Ace and Ultegra / 105, they don't make anything for the cheaper Shimano groupsets.