First commute. I live!

Lancslad
Lancslad Posts: 307
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Up at 4am out by 4.30am
Got to work. 17 miles about 1hr 15m, I thought it was 11 miles when I bought the bike but oh well stuff happens :) .

I am struggling with left hand turns, I think im being a bit mard about leaning into them but the wheels are so thin.........
Novice runner & novice cyclist
Specialized Tricross
Orbea (Enol I think)

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    From newbie to commuting God in one easy step!!! :shock:

FOUR THIRTY!!!! Is there such a time. :shock: :shock:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Lancslad wrote:
    Up at 4am out by 4.30am

:shock:

Good effort! On both counts.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    :shock: :shock: Wot they sed re the wakeup time :shock: :shock:

Much congrats on the journey. John Franklin's 'Cyclecraft' will be a useful aid for left turns and all :)
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Lancslad wrote:
    I am struggling with left hand turns, I think im being a bit mard about leaning into them but the wheels are so thin.........

Is your name Derek Zoolander?
  • Well done ,you hero

Top tip for an extra 15 mins in bed.

Have your bike in the kitchen overnight,get a bowl out and put 3 weetabix in it with spoon next to it. Have bag packed ready to go with helmet sat on top of it. Leave cycling clothes downstairs. Get straight up and dressed downstairs ,breakfast in gear and straight out of the door.

This saves means I get up at 0600 and out by 0615 when I am on earlies. Although I can shower and brush teeth at work. IIf I had to get up at 0430 I would die.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    Aidy wrote:
    Lancslad wrote:

Is your name Derek Zoolander?

:lol::lol:

Well done Lancslad, though 4am is an indecent time to rise.
  • Lancslad
    Well done ,you hero

Top tip for an extra 15 mins in bed.

Have your bike in the kitchen overnight,get a bowl out and put 3 weetabix in it with spoon next to it. Have bag packed ready to go with helmet sat on top of it. Leave cycling clothes downstairs. Get straight up and dressed downstairs ,breakfast in gear and straight out of the door.

This saves means I get up at 0600 and out by 0615 when I am on earlies. Although I can shower and brush teeth at work. IIf I had to get up at 0430 I would die.

Did all that except I dont do weetabix i'm more of a crumpet man, bike was in kitchen but I'm not sure how long she will put up with it :wink: . rest of time was taken up with shower + making flask. I'm sure it will get slicker and faster as i get used to it.

zoolander comment is lost on me.
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Shower before a 1 hr 15 min cycle?! Do they have showers at your work?
  • Lancslad
    mroli wrote:
    Shower before a 1 hr 15 min cycle?! Do they have showers at your work?

Yes it wakes me up properly, yep they do. Although it was so bloody cold this morning I didnt break a sweat just gasped like a goldfish a lot :lol:
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Two thumbs up. Welcome to the club :)
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • I'm sure it will get slicker and faster as i get used to it.
    I've been doing it for 3 years now, and no matter how well-prepared I am it still takes me a good hour to get out of the door - mind, I don't have my bike in the kitchen so at least 5 mins is spent running round unlocking 4 doors, getting the bike out of the grage and locking all 4 doors again.
    My other bike's a Dawes.
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    Lancslad wrote:

I try and have my bike in the house when I am in earlies (up at 5:40ish. out by 6) if I possibly can. I am rubbish at actually eating in those 20 minutes though... I know that this is bad in every way, but it is all I can do to pour a coffee into me.

This morning I didn't even SEE anyone cycling the same way as me until the last 400 yards of the journey.
  • Lancslad
    I saw two other cyclists but I was nearly at work and they were on mtb ish type things going the opposite way on the section of cycle path that is to rough for my bike so I was on the dual carraige way.
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Great work, Lancslad.

I toyed with the idea of taking a 15 mile route to work this morning (my usual route is 5 miles). But my alarm went off at 6:30am and I snoozed until 7:30. Left the house at 8am, so only had time for the 5 mile route. =)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Lancslad wrote:
    i'm more of a crumpet man,

A 17 mile commute - of course you are.

Big commutes are very very het.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Lancslad
    Must say though im not liking toeclips, the new gearing system is better than the old reach down to change thing :) kind of miss the extra brake handles of old though.
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Lancslad wrote:
    i'm more of a crumpet man, bike was in kitchen but I'm not sure how long she will put up with it :wink: .

:lol:
  • mattrsa
    mattrsa Posts: 143
    Lancslad wrote:
    Up at 4am out by 4.30am

Christ why so early, what time do you start work?

I do about the same milage but can never face eating that early so normally just have a glass of juice get the gear on and get going then have breakfast once I get too work.
    Commuter - Trek 1.2
    Fun - Specialized Rockhopper
  • Lancslad
    mattrsa wrote:
    Lancslad wrote:
    Up at 4am out by 4.30am

Christ why so early, what time do you start work?

I do about the same milage but can never face eating that early so normally just have a glass of juice get the gear on and get going then have breakfast once I get too work.

perm 6am - 2pm shift. I find if I think about eating i'm not hungry so I eat without thinking :? Breakfast is so important. I'm hoping I will get faster so I can get up later :D Although I have no idea what I should realistically expect but I guess thats half the fun and at least I wont have a big rucksack on my shoulders in future, just a small one for flask,food & lock.
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    17miles in 1hr 15m isn't bad for a first effort, especailly at WTF o'clock, fair play to you!

Seriously 17mile in 75 mins is slow if its nice and flat and impressive if its very hilly!

As for rucksack's OK at this time of year, recipe for a very sweaty back as it warms up, get a rack and panniers! I started on a rucksack, am now on panniers.

As for locks, I double up, leave one at work, keep one at home so I never have to carry one!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    As for locks, I double up, leave one at work, keep one at home so I never have to carry one!
    I always carry one in case the bike breaks and I have to get a taxi.