The perfect 10?

Slimbods
Slimbods Posts: 321
edited April 2010 in Amateur race
First 10 Mile TT of the season last night, beautiful sunny evening with very little wind.

First TT with my new (to me) bike, first TT with my 12 yo daughter, had a great race and beat my PB by a long way, was stood at the line waiting for my daughter to come in and Mark Cavendish comes to the line and blasts off down the road.

I might not do another, it can't get better than that! :)

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Sounds great! Where was this that Cav was riding?
  • 3legs
    3legs Posts: 30
    Hi Slimbods

I was there myself last night - my first ever 10. I'd settle for that weather every week, although it could with warming up a bit. Seeing Cav perform was a bonus.

How much time do you think your new bike was worth (and how much was due to fitness gains) ? I was riding a bog standard road bike (no aero bars) and definiftely appeared to be in the minority. I wasn't there to compete against others, but even so, my mind is now being drawn towards the variety of options ranging from tri-bars all the way to specfic TT bikes and funny helmets.
  • Slimbods
    Bronzie, on the Isle of Man.
    3legs wrote:
    Hi Slimbods
    I was there myself last night - my first ever 10. I'd settle for that weather every week, although it could with warming up a bit. Seeing Cav perform was a bonus.

How much time do you think your new bike was worth (and how much was due to fitness gains) ? I was riding a bog standard road bike (no aero bars) and definiftely appeared to be in the minority. I wasn't there to compete against others, but even so, my mind is now being drawn towards the variety of options ranging from tri-bars all the way to specfic TT bikes and funny helmets.

Was great weather for up there, it's nearly always windy!

I think I've improved about 50/50 on fitness vs the bike. My old road bike with clip ons was a little large and upright, so I was riding pretty high. I also didn't ride at all last winter, but have kept up a good routine of about 100 hardish miles a week through this winter.

I'd do what I did; start off with the cheap options for the bigger gains, clip on bars, tight fitting gear and train more while working down your position. Clip-on tri bars make a big difference and are a great way to introduce your body to a time trial position before splashing out on a bike. Then again, if you've got the cash and enjoy the bling, go for it!

I simply can't afford the gear, and I'm road racing too, so I make do with what I have.

Glad you enjoyed it though, it's a great series, I really miss it in the winter.
  • 3legs
    I've just succumbed to the first purchase - clip on bars :D

I'm really looking forward to the rest of the series now that the nervousness and intimidation of the first one is out of they way. With a bit of luck, just learning the courses should help me go faster as the series progresses.

Fingers crossed for a few more perfect 10's
  • bigricky
    bigricky Posts: 92
    i was there too guys, buti did not get a personal best :cry: but not to worry was first of the series hoping to get into the 25 mins by end of season, thats if my job will let me have time to do some training!
  • Slimbods
    3legs wrote:
    I've just succumbed to the first purchase - clip on bars :D
    I'm really looking forward to the rest of the series now that the nervousness and intimidation of the first one is out of they way. With a bit of luck, just learning the courses should help me go faster as the series progresses.
    Fingers crossed for a few more perfect 10's

Yeah, you'll make big jumps early on as you get accustomed to the pace. Ricky, getting into 26 was my goal this year, and I did that on the first night, so if it wasn't a fluke I've got to look towards 25 now too.

Does that leg grease make a difference? :)
  • incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    Didn't have the perfect 10 last night. Arrive - signed on - got the bike out - realised I'd forgotten my shoes...went home...

Generally a fail! However got some good news regarding compensation for a crash I had last year that rather made up for it :).

I'd say my TT bike has made me faster. Difficult to quantify without using power before and after. I enjoy riding it though, and I think that matters the most, that's why I ride! Hopefully going to take me to a 21 this year too. That'd be a 2-2.30 increase on last years times (although I only did one proper TT last year and didn't really train). We'll see...
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk
  • 3legs
    That's 3 of us aiming for getting into the 25's then ;) Good luck guys !!!

Memo to self: don't forget shoes, and look for any opportunity to claim compensation so I can buy a bling TT bike :D
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    Sounds brilliant! What time did Cav do?
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • incog24
    3legs wrote:
    Memo to self: don't forget shoes, and look for any opportunity to claim compensation so I can buy a bling TT bike :D

Yup sounds sensible! I may soon be investing in a disc and a powertap...We'll see. However, it may well end up going on funding a masters *prays for funding*.
  • Another un-perfect 10 - I arrived at the start with only 3 riders left to go, so no number, no warm up no drink etc. Managed a 26-08 on a sporting club course so not disappointed, was about 50 secs down on a couple fo guys who are good for 21s on a fasty. I'm desperate to do a 58 on a 25 this year, how I'm not sure yet....
  • Slimbods
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    Sounds brilliant! What time did Cav do?

21:24, it's quite a lumpy loop rather than an out and back with an uphill finish.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie wrote:
    Where was this that Cav was riding?
    Anyone???
  • 3legs
    Slimbods wrote:
    21:24, it's quite a lumpy loop rather than an out and back with an uphill finish.

I quite enjoyed the uphill finish :shock:
    Would I be right in thinking that the next one is even lumpier ?

Bronzie - Slimbods already answered your question (you must have missed it), It was in the Isle of Man.
  • Bronzie
    Indeed I did - should've gone to Specsavers :oops:

(Also should have guessed with "3legs" riding the TT :lol: )
  • Slimbods
    3legs wrote:
    Slimbods wrote:
    Would I be right in thinking that the next one is even lumpier ?

The other ones do have a couple of little hills, but they're all flat or downhill on the finish.

They have got turns in the road though, quite narrow at the top of a little hill which I find tricky to do quickly.

The Ramsey course is the quickest, but I don't think that's in use again this year because of the roadworks.
  • My first tt of the season was far from "perfect". It was a 2 up ten and I arrived late - resulting in me having to ride "unofficially" with another late rider. It was all going fairly well until about 4.5 miles in - just before the turn where we came across a crash - and we were first on the scene. There was blood all over the road and one of the riders involved bikes steerer tubes was snapped clean in half. It turned out to be a head on collision - two riders going around a blind corner both going around 30 mph smashing straight into each other. One of them had to get helicoptered away due to a broken neck, one taken to hospital to get re - constructive
    surgery on his face and the other got away with a broken collar bone. Not the best tt I've ever been to!
  • incog24
    :shock:

I'm guessing someones in line for a ban for that one? Sounds awful, I hope everyone concerned makes a quick and full recovery!
  • How on earth did they run into each other, unless one group was on the wrong side of the road?
  • There were deep puddles on either side of the road with only one dry line through, also, as I said, the corner was blind.
  • Slimbods
    Where was this? I think the club involved needs to have a word with itself!
  • There were deep puddles on either side of the road with only one dry line through, also, as I said, the corner was blind.

Would rather get my bike a bit wet than risk a head on with a vehicle like :shock:
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015

Would rather get my bike a bit wet than risk a head on with a vehicle like :shock:

First time I have heard of anyone riding 'blind' through a corner when racing because of puddles...?? That's sadly really asking for a biggie.
  • The puddles where a bit to deep to ride through at speed and people can do stupid things when racing. Anyway, it wasn't with a vehicle it was riders going opposite directions. All involved are going to be alright though so thats what really matters. It was a peebles cc tt and to be fair to them, that course has been raced on for years with no problems - it was a bit of a freak accident