Centre of gravity

Downzy
Downzy Posts: 9
edited April 2010 in MTB general
I have a cheap hardtail which works fine and generaly does everything I want it to but I have noticed that the centre of gravity is to far forward for my liking and makes the front wheel feel twitchy when making tight turns. It also means that I don't have as much confidence going downhill on it

At the moment it has a low rising bar, could I fix the problem by getting a higher rising bar or a shorter stem or will I have to buy a new bike. Again any comments will be appreciated
I refuse to put something witty here

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Err "altitude 10 genesis hardtail mountain bike." is a cheap MTB is it?

sounds more like riding style.

but what is the length of the current stem?

how much sag have you got on the fork in normal riding position?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Chances are it's your riding rather than the bike unless you have a size that is too big for you. You might find that a bit of money on a skills (google UK Bike Skills or Greatrock) course is better spent than changing parts on the bike. Most people running skills course will also check your bike and give you an idea if something is out of whack before you start riding with them anyway.
  • rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523
    If the current steering feels twitchy I would have thought putting a shorter stem on would make it worse. Maybe we have different definitions for what twitchy means!
  • Downzy
    Nah this isn't the genesis this is my dads bike which I am trying to fix so he can keep up :)

erm the bike is a scott aspect 55 and the stem is 31.8mm. The sag is about 12mm. btw I don't feel as uncomfortable or twitchy on the genesis so I'm guessing that it isn't caused by riding style
  • Downzy
    Nah this isn't the genesis this is my dads bike which I am trying to fix so he can keep up :)

erm the bike is a scott aspect 55 and the stem is 31.8mm. The sag is about 12mm. btw I don't feel as uncomfortable or twitchy on the genesis so I'm guessing that it isn't caused by riding style
  • coolboarder
    coolboarder Posts: 149
    rudedog wrote:
    If the current steering feels twitchy I would have thought putting a shorter stem on would make it worse. Maybe we have different definitions for what twitchy means!

maybe he feels his weight is too far forward so a shorter stem would move body weight backwards a touch taking some weight off the front wheel????

You could always slide the saddle back a bit as well????

Rob.
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    31.8 mm is the diameter of the stem where it clamps to the bar. what is the length?
  • Downzy
    It is 80mm long
  • rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523
    rudedog wrote:

maybe he feels his weight is too far forward so a shorter stem would move body weight backwards a touch taking some weight off the front wheel????

You could always slide the saddle back a bit as well????

Rob.

thats why I said we may have different definitions of what twitchy meant. My description of twitchy would be the steering feeling light and easily losing traction - skittish.

I think the OP needs to define what he means by twitchy.