HALFRAUDS Strike again !!!!

stunnertier1
stunnertier1 Posts: 76
edited April 2010 in MTB general
again Halfrauds have striked again !!!

On my 8 month old iDrive Elite (which cost £1200) the rear caliper has broken again on the Avid Jucy brakes which it came fitted with!!! Due to my cracked knee cap which I picked up in Coed y Brenin in october due to the back brake failing I have been out of action & unable to get the bike into Halfords, NOW listen to this !!

Halfords will not cover the cost of the repair of the Brake due to the particular part is not covered by the 12 month warranty !!!!!!! WHAT THE F*CK, how can they possible say that you have 12 months warranty & when something breaks say "sorry but that part is not covered by warranty" i nearly lost my head i was so angry & had to walk out of the store ! they even had the cheek to try to charge me £150 to fix it !! I mean £150 to replace a rear calliper on a Jucy 3 !! were they trying to spur me on the smash the place up !! they are f*cking useless & I am NEVER gicing them another penny of my money !!

I am taking this up with the head office & GT for fitting the bike out with CRAP parts !!!
(I also previously had problems with the brakes when 1st purchaced & it had faulty suspension)

So im now having Hope M4's fitted front & back as i cannot trust these brakes, meaty cost of £350 thow !! but the guys in red kite know what there talking about so im sure it will be worth it !

Wish I had bought from a proper bike store so much now! Lesson learnt !

Kona Coilair 2008 (Marzocchi 66's up front)

Comments

• the leaver went right back and diddnt stop me when riding at speed, The guy in halfords said it had a leek & needs the rear caliper replacing !

Kona Coilair 2008 (Marzocchi 66's up front)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Don't bother contacting GT - contact Halfords head office regarding the warranty. If you have not buggered it up by incorrectly bleeding or crashed, and it is not serviceable by them then it should be a warranty replacement.

Sounds more like bad luck, these are great value bikes given the spec sheet.

And you certainly don't need to spend 350 quid on new brakes!
  • Yeh exactly, that sounds like a defective part, like Sonic says, if it's not been caused by something you've done, there really is no excuse for not covering it.
  • Doombrain
    Doombrain Posts: 360
    you must of seen the fluid leaking after the crash, where was it coming from?

PS, you're covered by the sale of goods act 1979.
    LOL road riding.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Does sound like a caliper seal has gone, which definately SHOULD be a warranty unless it's been caused by damage or neglect.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    As you are in Solihull. Take a short trip to Halfords HQ in Redditch and demand to speak to someone about it. Take the bike with you.
    Craig Rogers
  • Stuy-b
    Stuy-b Posts: 248
    i work in a halfords store and halfords should sort you out under your 12 month warranty no problem at all. what you need to do is ring head office (i dont have the number to hand or id send it you) explain your problem and put in a customer complaint (as things seem to get done quicker if you do). then if nothing else you should get a new jucy that you can sell on try and make some money back for the M4's. im sorry your local halfords is staffed by what sound like morons. not all halfords are!!!!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Is that the Shirley retail park store? I spoke to Craig there when I had a problem with the Juicy 7s on my Boardman, and he was very helpful. They actually had the bike sent to Head Office to have the Boardman techs look at it, they fitted new brakes and got the bike back to me in the same day.

And for what it's worth, I've heard some absolute $hite being spouted to naive beginners in Red Kite :wink: . Also, inflation in there is mental, outer gear cable went from £2 a metre to £3.50 a metre in the time it took to walk across the shop, I bought it quick before it went up any more! :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • It seems Halfords has a habit of employing inept monkeys in some of its stores, however I will say when you find a store where the staff actually care & have bikes of their own they know what they are talking about it can be quite a good store.

Shoreham By Sea store has some great staff, 2 guys run the bike section & look to be swamped in bikes to fix. They fixed mine up a treat & not failed yet.

Brighton Halfords however... Well lets just say dont go in there... The wheel is a new invention to them.
    Why oh why do onions make you cry?
  • bails87
    TBh, I've found the store that the OP is complaining about to be absolutely great whenever I've had a problem. Hope he gets it sorted. And there are better brakes than the Hopes for much less money :wink:
    MTB/CX

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    £350 !!! for a full set of Hope M4 fitted my god they saw you coming. Its only £133.99 full price per end. I hope 350 was a misprint and you meant 250
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • bails87
    stubs
    You've seen my comment about inflation in that shop? :wink:
    MTB/CX

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    bails87 wrote:
    stubs

Theres inflation and theres robbery. I think that comes into the mask and a bag marked swag price range.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • PMK2060
    PMK2060 Posts: 10
    my local halfords have just made a good bike mechanic redundant. most of the lads who work their who have kept their jobs are typical uninterested shop staff
  • bails87
    stubs wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    stubs

Theres inflation and theres robbery. I think that comes into the mask and a bag marked swag price range.

It was probably the same thing, priced up as £200, but they'd gone up to £350 by the time they'd got to the till!
    MTB/CX

• I think the main problem is you went to Halfords in the 1st place. The only time i would ever go there is to get an innertube on a sunday when my LBS is shut! I wouldn't even get parts for my car there. People who work there are a bunch of Monkeys who know nothing!!!

I would complain to their head office and get it sorted, but after that i would find a good bike shop who have been dealing with bikes for years!

btw i wasn't having a go at you or anything, i just think the people who work there have no clue and the company itself ask stupid prices.
  • supersonic
    Stupid prices? Not for the bikes.
  • bails87
    SCARFACExxx08
    :roll:
    MTB/CX

• Northwind
    the company itself ask stupid prices.

You're right, it is stupid how good value some of the bikes are ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    I think the main problem is you went to Halfords in the 1st place. The only time i would ever go there is to get an innertube on a sunday when my LBS is shut! I wouldn't even get parts for my car there. People who work there are a bunch of Monkeys who know nothing!!!

I would complain to their head office and get it sorted, but after that i would find a good bike shop who have been dealing with bikes for years!

btw i wasn't having a go at you or anything, i just think the people who work there have no clue and the company itself ask stupid prices.

*Cough*cough*

Some Halfords branches do have good staff! Also prices are reasonable AND they have some ace bikes there too.

I think you're peeved because they wouldn't fit the spinner hubcaps to your Nova for free..
  • "Some halfords branches do have good staff!" So only some means that the rest dont?? So that must mean the ones near me. As for the prices, if my local family run bike shop can beat Halfords prices then they can't be great prices can they??

Remember the title of this thread is HALFRAUDS Strike again !!!! Why do you think they got that name?

Oh and i too have a 4x4 mines a Navara Outlaw Get over it!
  • supersonic
    It was you making the generalisations.

And as before, the bikes are great value.
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    edited April 2010
    "Some halfords branches do have good staff!" So only some means that the rest dont?? So that must mean the ones near me. As for the prices, if my local family run bike shop can beat Halfords prices then they can't be great prices can they??

Remember the title of this thread is HALFRAUDS Strike again !!!! Why do you think they got that name?

Oh and i too have a 4x4 mines a Navara Outlaw Get over it!

It's like any retail chain the good comes with the bad

As for your local "family run bike shop" can undercut Halfords, they must have a better deal with Apollo than Halfords do..

A Datsun Navarna? Sweet, maybe it's grow up one day and turn into a Land Rover and actually go off road...
  • bails87
    Raymondavalon
    :lol:
    MTB/CX

• *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    I wouldn't even get parts for my car there.

I do, quite often.

Bank holiday Monday and a seized calliper chewed up some brake pads.

Popped into Halfords, pads in stock, £22.99.

Whipped out my Halfords Trade Card, pads now £8.94.

Happy days :D
  • Northwind
    As for the prices, if my local family run bike shop can beat Halfords prices then they can't be great prices can they??

Go on, tell us what they have at £400, £550, £600, £750 and £1000 that beats Halfords? They have the Kraken, the Fury, assorted Boardmen, Voodoos, GT Aggressor XCR, and Idrive 5, all absolute top class and top value.

How they got the name "Halfrauds"... Children like mixing up words so they sound funny, is how.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • chick0
    chick0 Posts: 338
    Avid brakes are covered for 12 months, i know this cause Evans just rebuilt a faulty lever for me 10 months after purchase all done under warranty !
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    Stuy-b wrote:
    i work in a halfords store and halfords should sort you out under your 12 month warranty no problem at all. what you need to do is ring head office (i dont have the number to hand or id send it you) explain your problem and put in a customer complaint (as things seem to get done quicker if you do). then if nothing else you should get a new jucy that you can sell on try and make some money back for the M4's. im sorry your local halfords is staffed by what sound like morons. not all halfords are!!!!

Same boat I work in Halfords.
    From the sounds and not looking at the brake, etc I would happily replace/repair fully under warranty.
  • hounslow
    hounslow Posts: 153
    heez29 wrote:
    Stuy-b wrote:

Same boat I work in Halfords.
    From the sounds and not looking at the brake, etc I would happily replace/repair fully under warranty.
    halfords staff unite! we would definitely have to assess the bike as a whole, check for crash damage etc. but to flat out say it isn't covered is misleading. although the official warranty is very strict, and doesn't cover any offroad riding, but most (hopefully) staff can look past that.