Bent Presta valves

borntobemild
borntobemild Posts: 73
edited March 2011 in MTB general
I've had my first bike with Presta valves for 15 months now. I've had continual problems inflating the tyres. Bought a variety of reversible pumps, none of which seems very satisfactory.
Difficult to get air in and the pressure gauges seem to be wildly inaccurate or just don't work.

As a result I get frustrated, give it too much welly and then bend the valve.

Done this several times now.

First question - can you bend the valves back into position, or is it best just to scrap the tube.
Second question - what advantage if any does a presta valve give you on an MTB
Third question - am I alone in having this problem, or am I just a clumsy b****r.

If it's the latter then tell me, i can take it.

At the moment I've had to revert to a presta/schrader adaptor and an old fashioned cylinder pump when i'm on the road

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've never had a problem but some do. I reckon you're just being cack handed :wink:

As it happens, I use this pump, it has a hose, so you shouldn't damage the valve.
    2908.jpg
    No gauge, but I don't think you'd need one tbh, just go by 'feel'.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    I've bent a few myself being somewhat zealous..
    I just bend them back by hand, but very gently.
  • fletch8928
    fletch8928 Posts: 794
    I dont think Ive ever had a straight one from the first inflation. just gently bend it straight again.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • thanks guys - will give the valve a bit of gentle persuasion next time it happens. Nice to know i'm not the only one.
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    thanks guys - will give the valve a bit of gentle persuasion next time it happens. Nice to know i'm not the only one.

Oh your not the only one, im cack handed too! :) As of others advice, just bend back gently.
  • thewaiter
    thewaiter Posts: 110
    there a fooking pain in the arse!!!!....... I can never pump the damn things up properly :oops: when pumping air in where is the value meant to be ? fully locked out or somewhere between that and closed....... :?:
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    thewaiter wrote:
    there a fooking pain in the ars*!!!!....... I can never pump the damn things up properly :oops: when pumping air in where is the value meant to be ? fully locked out or somewhere between that and closed....... :?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wreZho5I2E4

:)
  • bails87
    I unscrew it all the way, give it a little push down to make sure it's open and then pump.
    MTB/CX

• thewaiter
    thewaiter Posts: 110
    well aint that a daisy...... :D that's kind of what i've kind doing, just sometimes, when using the track pump, the air does not go into the tyre and the PSI gauge on pump starts to rocket into the 70's and upwards :!:

as the vid says, something didn't go quite right at the start.... thanks once again
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    thewaiter wrote:
    well aint that a daisy...... :D that's kind of what i've kind doing, just sometimes, when using the track pump, the air does not go into the tyre and the PSI gauge on pump starts to rocket into the 70's and upwards :!:

as the vid says, something didn't go quite right at the start.... thanks once again

Have you unsrewed the valve?
  • Presta valves suck!

Always stick with schrader!
  • mikee1979
    mikee1979 Posts: 151
    Presta valves do suck! I have a constant battle with trying to get air in my tyres and end up bending them as well. Maybe I need a new pump, if there are any recommendations for a good pump to use on presta valves I'm all ears.
  • bails87
    mikee1979
    See my post above.

bigbenj_08
    They're fine, the problem is your ham fists! :wink::lol:
    MTB/CX

• Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    mikee1979 wrote:
    Presta valves do suck! I have a constant battle with trying to get air in my tyres and end up bending them as well. Maybe I need a new pump, if there are any recommendations for a good pump to use on presta valves I'm all ears.

This one - old school pump "tube" so it doesn't snap presta valves off...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Lezyn ... 360034750/
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    On a Mountain bike I'll always use a schrader valve. The pressures I use are only 45 psi max. Also, I would be wary of sticks and twigs bending the longer Presta valves on many tracks if one gets thrown into your wheel..

On my road bike, the Presta has a slight advantage because of the higher pressures.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I've got a slightly bent presta - don't bother straightening it as it doesn't really need it. The seal is made by the position of the pin; you can tighten a bent pin up without it being straight and it still won't let any air out. As long as the dust cap still fits on, just leave it as is.

And get a Leyzne Pressure Drive :D
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mikee 1979
    Get yourself a Lezyne mini pump,it's a hose type for presta and shraeder and it works great.
    I had years of using useless press fit type mini pumps beforehand
  • Thebigbee
    Thebigbee Posts: 570
    Have bought a foot pump from Aldi - £4.99 had no problems pumping up schrader valves - accurate and easy.

However haven't got a schrader valved bike anymore - a hybrid with prestas - just is a pain to pump them up!!.

I also bought a schrader/ presta adaptor off Ebay - still same problems. Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Yes - I know about the nut to release the air!

When eventually I do start getting air in there I have to hold either the pump, or adaptor on there and it still sounds like air is coming out all over the place.

What am I doing that is so fundamentally wrong? Any help or advice greatly received.

P.S. I don't think it is the pump or adaptor as they work fine with actual Schrader valves and the pressure guage works fine. When I try to do the Prestas it is just a "feel and go" - I must be doing something stupidly.

Please help...
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    I've got a topeak turbo morph with a hose and I've never bent a valve. I don't see what the problem is