What Pace Is Good For a Fourteen Year Old

nakita222
nakita222 Posts: 341
edited April 2010 in Amateur race
I'm fourteen and can average fifteen-sixteen mph solo, is that good bad or average

Comments

• Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    Very hard to answer that.
    How long for? Uphill? Downhill? Up etc

A better question would be... my PB for a 10 TT is ?? (on this course) - is this any good?

Or even better... enter a few races and see how you do
  • nakita222
    nakita222 Posts: 341
    I just recently did a 39 mile flatish ride with a head wind for 75% of the way in 2hr 36 and an average of 14.5mph is that any good for a fourteen year old. ( hows that percy vera )
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    edited April 2010
    If
  • blackhands
    If you have only just started riding then its a good speed but it also depends on the conditions.

As an example of what's possible - some while ago, a juvenile in my club did a 21 min 10 mile TT at age 13.

What's more important is that you improve but at the same time enjoy yourself and not get too hung up on what's good and what's not.
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    nakita222 wrote:
    I just recently did a 39 mile flatish ride with a head wind for 75% of the way in 2hr 36 and an average of 14.5mph is that any good for a fourteen year old. ( hows that percy vera )
    It sounds pretty good but but averge speed can be affected by so many factors (wind, position on bike, type of terrain,type of weather etc). But hey if you ride this loop consistently all factors consisdered you'll probably continue to improve and that average speed should creep up. Joining a club will probably help you progres and develop even quicker. Keep at it whatever you decide, amateur cycling is dominated by oldies (like me :lol: ) so we need more younger peeps like you :D
  • nakita222 wrote:
    I'm fourteen and can average fifteen-sixteen mph solo, is that good bad or average

Enter a u16 race and find out !
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    nakita222 wrote:

it's just an average - there's no such thing as good or bad averages. You also forgot to mention how much (if any) climbing was on your route - this will affect your average more than any other single factor....

Also, you'd have to be riding in some pretty odd weather conditions to get a head wind for 75% of the ride....
  • mtbhenry888
    mtbhenry888 Posts: 287
    I'm 18 and Yesterday I did a 40 mile solo training ride at a 17 MPH average, hillyish ride around the New Forest, moderate headwind. Back to the OP's question, more specific about ride etc. but for a 14 year old that Is a good average if you can sustain it
    Carbon fibre, it's all nonsense. Drink beer. Ride a steel bike. Don't be a ponce.
  • do some races and try and enjoy it!
  • Hunterg46
    Hunterg46 Posts: 133
    some while ago, a juvenile in my club did a 21 min 10 mile TT at age 13.

Seriously?! :shock:
  • blackhands
    Yes - he was the third counter in a National Junior Team Competition record and was 13 at the time.
  • KillerMetre
    KillerMetre Posts: 199
    I'm 18 and Yesterday I did a 40 mile solo training ride at a 17 MPH average, hillyish ride around the New Forest, moderate headwind. Back to the OP's question, more specific about ride etc. but for a 14 year old that Is a good average if you can sustain it

Bit of a contradiction in terms there :lol:
  • What is this 13 year olds name? About the original question, Im also 14 and my pb for a 10 mile tt is 25 mins 36 secs on a fairly hilly course, but just keep riding and find a club to join, do a few tt's and then progress to crits and/or open tt's. Thats what I did and it seems to have worked so just keep riding and having fun. [/quote]
  • What is this 13 year olds name? About the original question, Im also 14 and my pb for a 10 mile tt is 25 mins 36 secs on a fairly hilly course, but just keep riding and find a club to join, do a few tt's and then progress to crits and/or open tt's. Thats what I did and it seems to have worked so just keep riding and having fun. [/quote]