Lost: Cycling mojo

hisoka
hisoka Posts: 541
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Yeah, it is gone. I haven't been able to ride for over a week. I'm not injured, bike is fine, I just can't face getting onto the saddle. I don't know what it is, just it looks and feels too much like a chore to even consider riding to work, and it is only 15 minutes.

Anyone have any ideas? I've been trying to work myself upto it but failing badly. Ever felt that empty "well it looks too much like hard work" feeling?

Just one word for how I feel, PAH I think is the word.
"This area left purposefully blank"
Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)

Comments

• iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Take a break, don't ride cos you feel like you have to, otherwise you'll resent it. It'll come back eventually.
  • Buy something new for the bike, I even get excited if I've put a new tyre on it and can't wait to try it out.
    But then as my Wife frequently tells me - I'm deeply sad!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Stick Eddie Izzard on and have a laugh. And it's only 15 minutes. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Buy something new for the bike, I even get excited if I've put a new tyre on it and can't wait to try it out.
    !

+1. Never fails. Plus, it's Springtime - so MTFU !

;-)
    Misguided Idealist
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    iain_j wrote:
    Take a break, don't ride cos you feel like you have to, otherwise you'll resent it. It'll come back eventually.

+1
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    I'll MTFU and accept the bus, it is a heckhole half the time but a rest is what is logically right.
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    I've started to take a different route home, its another 7 miles but put together with the nice weather I am really enjoying riding again after all the rubbish weather from winter. Another tip is to give the bike a quick clean it always makes me want to go for a ride.

good luck
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    When cycling stops becoming fun its time to buy a new bike :)
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    It's probably your body telling you to take it easy. Take the bus, eat, drink, be merry, and come back to it in a week or so.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Being serious, I did almost no cycling during Jan or Feb, between being snowed in and the general sh1tness of the weather I just didn't fancy it. However, not getting out on the bike made me feel crappy, which led to less inclination to get out on the bike, it can become a bit of a vicious circle.

What I'm trying to say is, take a break by all means, but don't let not cycling become a habit. Particularly if it involves buses !
    Misguided Idealist
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    rf6 wrote:
    It's probably your body telling you to take it easy. Take the bus, eat, drink, be merry, and come back to it in a week or so.

+1, it's your minds way of telling you your body needs a rest. Give it a week or so and you'll be gagging to get back on the bike.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    why not scrap the commute for a week but go out for leisure on the evening to de stress, or cycle one way and leave bike at work if dont feel like it. Sometimes if im down its cos my body needs exercise.

Is it work your not happy with and therefore the journey there is not enjoyable?

it will come back

join the SCS table and you will hate the days your off the bike :)
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Take public transport. You'll be cycling again in no time.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Buy something new for the bike, I even get excited if I've put a new tyre on it and can't wait to try it out.
    But then as my Wife frequently tells me - I'm deeply sad!

I nearly agree - what you actually need is a complete new bike :D and maybe a change of route to make it more scenic/make you feel like you've had more of a workout.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    amnezia wrote:
    When cycling stops becoming fun its time to buy a new bike :)

Nah, the time to buy a new one is just before it stops becoming fun :)

I am beginning to wonder how many more bikes I can realistically fit in the house.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440

This.

I wasn't feeling the commute a couple of weeks ago. I remember CiB had the same issue last year. What I've done is taken my rack off and gone for it full speed, much more fun. I think I may have been inspired by flanders too.

Have a rest for a bit it'll come back.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    combination of what folk have already said.

bin the cycle commute for a few weeks (if you can last that long :D ) and see if you feel like a fun ride out at the weekend.

It never takes long on the bus to remind me how much i enjoy riding to work!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    prawny wrote:

This.

I wasn't feeling the commute a couple of weeks ago. I remember CiB had the same issue last year. What I've done is taken my rack off and gone for it full speed, much more fun. I think I may have been inspired by flanders too.

Have a rest for a bit it'll come back.
    I did too. I don't recall anything specific happening, I just got back into it again. Warm sunny mornings help, as does being met with a cheery good morning from pleasant young ladies on horses down quiet country lanes. Don't know if you get much of that round your way tho. :wink:

It's a cyclical thing probably. Some weeks you want to do a million miles, other weeks you can't be ar$ed. That's why I'm #46 in the Stats table and not #4.
  • bd12mz
    bd12mz Posts: 79
    I guarantee a few days on the slow, noisy buses will have you running back to cycling.
  • I'm having this problem now. It's amazing how many excuses I can think of at 5am. Perhaps you need a new challenge somehow, or just a change.

I changed my route which helped.
    My commute:
    commute.jpg
  • CTank
    CTank Posts: 46
    Your commute is too short!

Hear me out, it's not a criticism. Everyone has those mornings where they just can't be bothered. The reward doesn't seem worth the effort. God know's I often feel like this, and often still do after 15 minutes pedalling. But slowly I forget that I didn't want to get on the bike, and after about half an hour, I'm thoroughly glad I pushed through the envelope of apathy. You're not getting long enough to reach this stage.

Plenty of good advice here, but I'll just reiterate: Get up early on Saturday or Sunday, and just go for a ride for the hell of it. Doesn't even have to be with a destination in mind. Just reconnect with the fun of cycling for the sake of it, rather than as a mode of transport.

Good luck!