Gotta love your mother

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
A few nights I've gone out for a ride after dinner around 6pm. Today mother comes in after I've had my post ride shower and asks if the roads are busy at that time and wouldn't I be better waiting until a bit later before going out.

31 years old and she still worries :wink:

Comments

• Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I can do better than that, 41 and mine still nags me about wearing a helmet and tries to talk me out of the commute. The stupid thing is as annoyed as I get with her, I know I worry just as much about my two reprobates and always will. I just thank god they prefer MTB's to riding on the road, much less to worry about
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • bigjayuk
    bigjayuk Posts: 7
    Just turned 40, my ma is a pensioner, I'm 6 foot 6 and 19 stone and she always asks 'what's wrong with your car?' and I always get a request for a 'let me know you get there ok' phone call. I've two kids both in double figures!!! :lol:

Love her to death, wouldn't change her a bit!! I'd say she loves me but my wife reminds me about 'mothers and their sons'. :)
    Orbea (for my sins)
  • CdrJake
    CdrJake Posts: 296
    My mother still worries about me if I mention I have been out on the bike. The fact that I have hardly lived at home since the age of eight, been shot at in war zones and served on numerous deployments doesn't bother her. The cycling however does and after my last incident in which I broke my arm she turned up at my house a day later with the makings of a meal. She had made my father drive from Surrey :!:
    twitter: @JakeM1969
  • suzyb
    My Gran is like that with my Mother. She's 94, Mother is 64 and my Gran still tells Mother she better get home before it gets too dark :lol:
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    suzyb wrote:
    A few nights I've gone out for a ride after dinner around 6pm. Today mother comes in after I've had my post ride shower and asks if the roads are busy at that time and wouldn't I be better waiting until a bit later before going out.

Jeepers creepers, how early do you have dinner?!

EDIT: If mine worries she keeps quiet about it. With a job like hers she's no grounds anyway!
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    So true! I'm 37, driving to Liverpool tomorrow to go to the Grand National and my mam phones to say "call me when you get there to know you're safe".

But.... you're right, you do gotta love them!
  • CdrJake
    CdrJake Posts: 296
    My fathers reaction to me breaking my arm could be heard loudly in the background as my mother paniced.

"For christs sake Elizabeth, he's only broken his bloody arm!'

I can always rely on my father for a reasoned tact towards my mother. :lol:
    twitter: @JakeM1969
  • suzyb
    suzyb wrote:

EDIT: If mine worries she keeps quiet about it. With a job like hers she's no grounds anyway!
    Around 5.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    suzyb wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

Around 5.

Blimey!

I'm just making mine now... usually a bit earlier - 8-ish - but I went to pilates.
  • suzyb
    I've always been used to having dinner at that time as it is the time father gets in from work and mother always has the dinner on the table for him coming in. And I've just gotten into the habit of having it then myself.

Only time I've had it later than that was when I was doing the 9-5 and not getting home until after 6.
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    My wife has gone to Oz for 3 weeks, and I was asked by both my Nan and Mum if she had cooked and frozen food for me to eat whilst she's away.

I'm 35, have lived on my own, and they both taught me how to cook when I was about 10 :lol:
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • I'm 42, my mother lives 6000 miles away on the other side of the world, and she still nags me about the same stuff. They never change...!

:)